[steam] power!

I have to ask, in Steamband: Can other classes rack up ludicrous
deathdealing ability anything like as fast as an Engineer? With just
the town Engimatic Devices, I can quite quickly get to a point where
I can blow through card pits like a tornado goes through a trailer park.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

Martin Read wrote:
> I have to ask, in Steamband: Can other classes rack up ludicrous
> deathdealing ability anything like as fast as an Engineer? With just
> the town Engimatic Devices, I can quite quickly get to a point where
> I can blow through card pits like a tornado goes through a trailer
park.

I can't answer for every class, but it seems likely to me.

In my experience, a rogue who maxes out damage dealing martial arts
skills can nearly always kill anything including 10-level OOD uniques
in one round. With cards there is no question. And no equipment
whatsoever required, but gloves with damage bonus wouldn't be missed.
Of course, they dont get a lot of multiple enemy-killing attacks.

I haven't got a gentleman-mage as far along, but it seems likely that
they will be able to blow away anything with proper dedication to
spells.

It really seems like Steam tilts things to make offense easier and
defense harder. (Well, actually AC is easy too.) I haven't seen a
character yet that has trouble killing things, but get hit with the
wrong elemental attack twice, and you're toast. Even much earlier in
the game than one expects.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
> It really seems like Steam tilts things to make offense easier and
> defense harder. (Well, actually AC is easy too.) I haven't seen a
> character yet that has trouble killing things, but get hit with the
> wrong elemental attack twice, and you're toast. Even much earlier in
> the game than one expects.

This is my experience too. The good news is that you get a warning.
The bad news (for me at least) is that you _need_ to take notice of
that warning. I was recently on 0HP, 4WP after letting a Black Mariah
get two breaths at me.

Incidentally, I'm assuming it's not a coincidence that Mariah is spelt
as in Carey :)

Nick.

Jordan

Neil Stevens wrote:
My sword-wielding Steam-Mecha Adventurers can rise just as fast as my
Lead
> Slug/Forward Cannons-firing American Engineers.

Twisted One wrote:
Rise? Is that a steam-specific way to indicate advancement? In vanilla
Angband you'd just say "advance", or "progress", or "level", or
possibly
"dive" if measuring progress more by depth than by actual
equipment/stats/levels/capabil­ities...

In Steam, you start at the bottom and work your way to the surface. So
instead of 'diving' you do indeed 'rise'.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

BarlowBrad wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
> > Rise? Is that a steam-specific way to indicate advancement? In
vanilla
> > Angband you'd just say "advance", or "progress", or "level", or
possibly
> > "dive" if measuring progress more by depth than by actual
> > equipment/stats/levels/capabilities...
> >

> AFAIK, In Steamband one climbs a tower (thus, "rise") as opposed to
in
> Angband where one "dives" into the pit/cave/whatever.

The town is at the centre of the earth. Taking the up staircase from
the town puts you at level 50, and you are progressing toward level 0.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got any of that wrong :)

Nick.

--
Neil Stevens - neil@hakubi.us

'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:37:15 -0800, BarlowBrad <bjkuhn@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>AFAIK, In Steamband one climbs a tower (thus, "rise") as opposed to in
>Angband where one "dives" into the pit/cave/whatever.

Not a tower. Hint: The game is subtitled "Journey From the Centre of
the Earth".

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:37:15 -0800, BarlowBrad <bjkuhn@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>AFAIK, In Steamband one climbs a tower (thus, "rise") as opposed to in
>>Angband where one "dives" into the pit/cave/whatever.
>

> Not a tower. Hint: The game is subtitled "Journey From the Centre of
> the Earth".
>
> R. Dan Henry
> danhenry@inreach.com

Ahh... thank you for the correction. :)

valis

In article <1112307949.169612.109200@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Igor D. WonderLlama" <WonderLlama_@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Martin Read wrote:
> > I have to ask, in Steamband: Can other classes rack up ludicrous
> > deathdealing ability anything like as fast as an Engineer? With just
> > the town Engimatic Devices, I can quite quickly get to a point where
> > I can blow through card pits like a tornado goes through a trailer
> park.
>
> I can't answer for every class, but it seems likely to me.
>
> In my experience, a rogue who maxes out damage dealing martial arts
> skills can nearly always kill anything including 10-level OOD uniques
> in one round. With cards there is no question. And no equipment
> whatsoever required, but gloves with damage bonus wouldn't be missed.
> Of course, they dont get a lot of multiple enemy-killing attacks.
>
> I haven't got a gentleman-mage as far along, but it seems likely that
> they will be able to blow away anything with proper dedication to
> spells.
>
> It really seems like Steam tilts things to make offense easier and
> defense harder. (Well, actually AC is easy too.) I haven't seen a
> character yet that has trouble killing things, but get hit with the
> wrong elemental attack twice, and you're toast. Even much earlier in
> the game than one expects.

Ok, I totally was worried about people not being able to cause enough
damage, but I'm really going to nerf *all* the damage dealing abilities
of players a little bit. This it ridicleickleous.
-Campbell

VALIS writes:
> In article <1112307949.169612.109200@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Igor D. WonderLlama" <WonderLlama_@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > It really seems like Steam tilts things to make offense easier and
> > defense harder. (Well, actually AC is easy too.) I haven't seen a
> > character yet that has trouble killing things, but get hit with the
> > wrong elemental attack twice, and you're toast. Even much earlier
in
> > the game than one expects.
>
> Ok, I totally was worried about people not being able to cause enough

> damage, but I'm really going to nerf *all* the damage dealing
abilities
> of players a little bit. This it ridicleickleous.

I think that's probably just about right. The only thing I would ask
you to be careful with is the lesser used attacks that are usually
considered underpowered right now. Like rifles and pistols, for
example. (Actually, I can't think of any other examples.) Maybe just
find a way to leave them alone, and you may be able to kill two birds
with one stone, balancing and adjusting the power level.