[announce]Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1 released

Last response: in Video Games
April 3, 2005 7:02:43 PM

I've prepared an alpha version of Angband 3.0.6 to test the various tiny
changes, tweaks, and bugfixes that have been added since the 3.0.5 release.

Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1 is available as source code:
ftp://ftp.thangorodrim.net/pub/angband/Source/angband-3...
and Mac OS X version:
ftp://ftp.thangorodrim.net/pub/angband/Macintosh/Angban...
DOS and Windows versions will follow in the next few days.

This release is largely untested, so keep an eye open for bugs and report
them to me. The internal version number is still 3.0.5 and savefiles are
fully compatible in case you want to go back. Nonetheless making a backup
of your savefile might be a good idea.

Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
- Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.
- Renamed the artifact short sword 'Gilettar' to 'Dagmor' since that
name is mentioned for the sword of Beren in Tolkien's notes.
(suggested by Tyler Witter)
- Added a new type of subwindow for displaying the dungeon area around
the player.
- Added a new subwindow type "Display player (compact)" that displays
the left-hand-side of the main term (player stats, hitpoints, gold,
...) in a separate window.
- Added a new window type that displays the info from the status line.
- Turned the "scroll map while targetting" option permanently on.
- Added a display of the temporary resists to the status line. The
resists are only displayed if there is enough room after the dungeon
level (when using a main or status term with at least 85 cols).
The verbosity of the output (between "Acid Elec Fire Cold Pois" and
"AEFCP") depends on the term width.
- Display the player's speed in the character dump and on the info page.
- Identified scrolls can now look different from unidentified ones.
This allows the use of the individual scroll tiles created by David
Gervais.
- Allow the ammo-branding activation of 'Cubragol' to be aborted without
using up the charge. (Diego Gonzalez and Jeff Greene)
- Use actual monster and object symbols instead of a list of hardcoded
symbols when hallucinating.
- Added Craig Oliver's Sound FX Patch version 1.1 that adds about 120
new sound events to the game.
(see also http://www.chambrook.org/angband/soundfx.php)
- Scroll the map when the player is 1/4th of the visible grids away from
the edge of the map display.
- Allow the OS X version to be started from a read-only medium, for
example from a disk image or a central installation under
'Applications'. All user-specific files like savefiles, scores,
char-dumps, and saved preferences are stored in
'Library/Preferences/Angband/' and its subfolders inside the user's
home directory.
- The Mac OS X application bundle now includes all the necessary files
from the lib folder. The separate lib folder in the distribution is
no longer necessary. This means that the OS X version can now be
installed by simply dragging the application icon to the target
directory.
- The OS X version would crash when changing the sound or graphics
options before a character was created or loaded. (reported by Patrick
Hughes)
- Don't save the Mac OS X preferences on exit if the game hasn't been
initialized properly to prevent corruption of the preference file in
case of an error at startup. Skip loading the preference file if it
is broken. (problem reported by Matt Stone)
- Include the basic Angband sound files per default in the OS X version.
- Made the tile size independent of the font size in the X11 version.
Store various window settings like the window size between sessions.
- Don't add a hardcoded 'games' subdirectory to the installation path on
multi-user machines.
- Allow all user created files to be saved in subdirectories under
~/.angband/Angband/ when PRIVATE_USER_PATH is defined.
- Allow the use of the 'vcs' display module on systems with devfs-style
'/dev/vc/*' terminals.
- The virtual console (vcs) front-end does now implement cursor
visibility and bigscreen support. (Alexander Ulyanov)
- Enable cursor visibility in the "gcu" front-end on Linux systems.
(Alexander Ulyanov)
- Fixed a bug in the Xaw frontend, which made Angband crash if the main
window geometry was specified as an X resource. (Alexander Ulyanov)
- Make X11 frontends show floors as centered dots, walls as blocks, and
treasures as diamonds. (Alexander Ulyanov)
- Removed the restriction of bigtile mode to the main window in the X11
version.
- Added Alexander Ulyanov's Linux framebuffer display module from:
http://posband.earthsea.org/misc/angband-lfb-20050220.t...
- Added compile instructions for MinGW/MSYS on Windows. (Tuomas
Härkönen)
- Added compile instructions for gcc on Mac OS X.
- Fixed a stupid bug that could cause the game to hang or crash when
killing quest monsters near the edge of the dungeon. (Ivan Tuckwell
and Dr. Andrew White)
- Added missing tiles and tile assignments for the 32x32 tiles. (Ivan
Jekic and David Gervais)
- The charges of rods of perception weren't handled correctly when
compiling with scripting turned off. (reported by "Twilight" and Jeff
Greene)
- Cursed speed rings should not increase the level feeling. (Anssi
Ramela and Jeff Greene)
- Refresh the list of visible monsters after (Mass) Banishment,
Earthquake, and Destruction spells, when using the 'delete nearby
monsters' function in debug mode, as well as when pressing Ctrl-R.
("Twilight")
- Don't try to write zero-length blocks when saving the lib/data/*.raw
files. (suggested by Juha Niemimaki)
- Corrected the item description for scrolls of recharging. (reported by
Hugo Kornelis)

There are still tons of patches and suggestions sitting in my inbox, but I
doubt that any of them will make it into the 3.0.6 final. A new Angband
release is long overdue, so anything not in this release will have to wait
for 3.0.7.

--
Robert Ruehlmann ( rr9@thangorodrim.net )
"Thangorodrim - The Angband Page" : http://www.thangorodrim.net/
Visit the #angband chat channel at irc.worldirc.org
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:02:44 PM

Robert Ruehlmann wrote:
> - Fixed a stupid bug that could cause the game to hang or crash when
> killing quest monsters near the edge of the dungeon. (Ivan Tuckwell
> and Dr. Andrew White)

Quest monsters? In Vanilla? By this do you mean killing Sauron or Morgoth?

April 4, 2005 12:54:21 AM

Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> writes:

> Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
> - Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
> backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.

Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
healing, since you can recharge when it runs out, and do it a second
time if the first one fails.

> - Scroll the map when the player is 1/4th of the visible grids away from
> the edge of the map display.

I haven't tried it, but 1/4 may be too close; if you walk south and the
screen scrolls, how many spaces do you have to walk north before it
scrolls back?

--
David Grabiner, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html

On 03 Apr 2005 20:54:21 -0400, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu (David J.
Grabiner) wrote:

>Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> writes:
>
>> Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
>> - Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
>> backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.
>
>Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
>healing, since you can recharge when it runs out, and do it a second
>time if the first one fails.

Agreed. This is unlike weapons where increasing their charge takes a *lot*
of time and resourses, as opposed to staves which are good for a few more

>> - Scroll the map when the player is 1/4th of the visible grids away from
>> the edge of the map display.
>
>I haven't tried it, but 1/4 may be too close; if you walk south and the
>screen scrolls, how many spaces do you have to walk north before it
>scrolls back?

Isn't too much of a problem - I've created a macro on ^I (Tab) that scrolls
the map. If you can manually scroll with ease, being 1/4 shouldn't be a
problem.

Besides, 1/4 is a bit further way. Not much, but the 3.0.5 system requires
the player to go right up to the edge.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:06:00 AM

David J. Grabiner wrote:
> Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
> healing,

balanced by the failure risk. Its main use will be to heal when not
dangerously low on HPs, or to heal while out of combat without spending
a while resting, which means the opponent doesn't heal so much while you
heal. That's the same effect as a small increase in damage output. Add
to that that the staff can burn and the things're rare, and I don't see
a problem here.

> I haven't tried it, but 1/4 may be too close; if you walk south and the
> screen scrolls, how many spaces do you have to walk north before it
> scrolls back?

One. The screens (when not autocentering) overlap by half, so 1/4 of the
way from the edge of one is 1/4 of the way from the edge of another one
as well.

If anyone has a problem with offscreen breaths their best bet is
autocentering anyway -- no reasonably recent machine runs Angband too
slowly with autocentering on. (As in, maybe 20 years old but not 30.)

The monster list display would also be useful for that -- if only it
worked. Unfortunately, it doesn't, at least not in the 3.0.5 windows
binary distribution. If you turn on an additional terminal window,
that's exactly what you get -- an additional terminal window. It's
blank, doesn't respond to input of any kind, lacks menus, and isn't
affected by any of the main window's menus except the one that turns it
off again. There's no apparent way to tell it to put something in the
terminal window!

April 4, 2005 7:52:09 AM

"Robert Ruehlmann" <rr9@thangorodrim.net> wrote in message
news:D 2opic$226$04$1@news.t-online.com...
> [...]
> Greene)
> - Cursed speed rings should not increase the level feeling. (Anssi
> Ramela and Jeff Greene)
> - Refresh the list of visible monsters after (Mass) Banishment,
> Earthquake, and Destruction spells, when using the 'delete nearby
> monsters' function in debug mode, as well as when pressing Ctrl-R.
> ("Twilight")
> - Don't try to write zero-length blocks when saving the lib/data/*.raw
> files. (suggested by Juha Niemimaki)
> - Corrected the item description for scrolls of recharging. (reported by
> Hugo Kornelis)
>
> There are still tons of patches and suggestions sitting in my inbox, but I
> doubt that any of them will make it into the 3.0.6 final. A new Angband
> release is long overdue, so anything not in this release will have to wait

Looks like most of the changes are UI fixes and features. They are very
welcome on my part since I would like angband to have a better UI.

Now only if someone would update angband tk....

> --
> Robert Ruehlmann ( rr9@thangorodrim.net )
> "Thangorodrim - The Angband Page" : http://www.thangorodrim.net/
> Visit the #angband chat channel at irc.worldirc.org
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:23:26 AM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On 03 Apr 2005 20:54:21 -0400, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu (David J.
> Grabiner) wrote:
>
>>Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> writes:
>>
>>> Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
>>> - Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
>>> backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.
>>
>>Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
>>healing, since you can recharge when it runs out, and do it a second
>>time if the first one fails.
>
> Agreed. This is unlike weapons where increasing their charge takes a
> *lot*
> of time and resourses, as opposed to staves which are good for a few more

I disagree:

Loosing a staff due to a recharge attempt near the endgame is just annoying;
not

catastrophic. You simply spend time finding another one in an earlier depth,
and

money is not an issue, so if it comes up in a store you will buy it.

At the start of the game, money matters. So loosing a staff or wand is
catastrophic

especially if you bought it on the black market.

However, I would suggest making recharging a bit more expensive because as
it stands

it is very cheap especially now that the risk is removed.

>>> - Scroll the map when the player is 1/4th of the visible grids away from
>>> the edge of the map display.
>>
>>I haven't tried it, but 1/4 may be too close; if you walk south and the
>>screen scrolls, how many spaces do you have to walk north before it
>>scrolls back?
>
> Isn't too much of a problem - I've created a macro on ^I (Tab) that
> scrolls
> the map. If you can manually scroll with ease, being 1/4 shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Besides, 1/4 is a bit further way. Not much, but the 3.0.5 system
> requires
> the player to go right up to the edge.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:23:27 AM

Michael Hadjivassiliou wrote:

> "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>
>> On 03 Apr 2005 20:54:21 -0400, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu (David J.
>> Grabiner) wrote:

>>> Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
>>> healing, since you can recharge when it runs out, and do it a second
>>> time if the first one fails.
>>

>> Agreed. This is unlike weapons where increasing their charge takes a
>> *lot*
>> of time and resourses, as opposed to staves which are good for a few more
>
> I disagree *snip*

How about giving a 50% chance the staff is destroyed when recharging
fails? It seems to be a nice balance of both worlds.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:28:44 AM

Staves should be destroyable, as they already have several
hi-points, especially for warriors:
- easy activation (relative to rods)
- possible reapeated use if there´s charges
- relatively ease to find key staffs
And almost always there´s an alternative to staff, if there´s
not alternative, (healing to warriors for example), staff
destruction imho is something we should live with.

Came to this conclusion playing Heng... always picking the most
kickass personality / class for warrior. (low MD!)
Well.. i can´t activate rods of whatever and can activate
a staff of healing after some tries.

A recharge shop service that would cost an insane amount of
money with complete safety i think would be cool.
Like, 5000 per healing charge, etc.
--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.

Atriel wrote:
> Staves should be destroyable, as they already have several
> hi-points, especially for warriors:
> - easy activation (relative to rods)
> - possible reapeated use if there´s charges
> - relatively ease to find key staffs
> And almost always there´s an alternative to staff, if there´s
> not alternative, (healing to warriors for example), staff
> destruction imho is something we should live with.

And still will -- fire can still toast them. Add to that that staves are
heavy, especially if you carry many.

April 4, 2005 11:28:40 AM

In article <d2opic$226$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> wrote:
>I've prepared an alpha version of Angband 3.0.6 to test the various tiny
>changes, tweaks, and bugfixes that have been added since the 3.0.5 release.
>
>Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
>- Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
> backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.

I don't like this. What's the problem with the current system?

Anyway, most recharging in my experience happens when the item is
already empty.

Yes, you can lose items. This is part of the balance of charged items
- you get only so many uses. You can extend it with recharging, but
not forever - eventually, the RNG catches up with you. If they never
die to a recharge, why use rods over wands and staves?

>- Allow the OS X version to be started from a read-only medium, for
> example from a disk image or a central installation under
> 'Applications'. All user-specific files like savefiles, scores,
> char-dumps, and saved preferences are stored in
> 'Library/Preferences/Angband/' and its subfolders inside the user's
> home directory.
>- The Mac OS X application bundle now includes all the necessary files
> from the lib folder. The separate lib folder in the distribution is
> no longer necessary. This means that the OS X version can now be
> installed by simply dragging the application icon to the target
> directory.

The OS X version really should support running in a proper multiuser
mode, with shared score files at the minimum.

The application bundle is really supposed to be static. The raw info
files should be kept elsewhere, probably /Library/Application Support
in a multiuser setup, and ~/Library/Application Support for
single-user.

(Of course, I'm not actually offering to do the work...)

--
Julian Lighton jl8e@fragment.com
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

On 2005-04-04 07:28:44, Atriel <atriel666@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Staves should be destroyable, as they already have several
> hi-points, especially for warriors:
> - easy activation (relative to rods)
> - possible reapeated use if there´s charges
> - relatively ease to find key staffs
> And almost always there´s an alternative to staff, if there´s
> not alternative, (healing to warriors for example), staff
> destruction imho is something we should live with.

Yet staffs are still destroyable by the most common pre-Narya manner problem
with staffs, fire damage. IMHO recharging should either a) not have a destroy
failure, or b) have one that reduces to 0% either using the INT stat or the
Magic Device Skill

> Came to this conclusion playing Heng... always picking the most
> kickass personality / class for warrior. (low MD!)
> Well.. i can´t activate rods of whatever and can activate
> a staff of healing after some tries.
>
> A recharge shop service that would cost an insane amount of
> money with complete safety i think would be cool.
> Like, 5000 per healing charge, etc.

I totally agree with this last one.

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:26:41 PM

On 2005-04-03 15:02:43, Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> wrote:

> - Cursed speed rings should not increase the level feeling. (Anssi
> Ramela and Jeff Greene)

I find it oddly ego-inflating to be listed as having contributed to V. ;-)

Anyway, extending this to all cursed rings would IMO, be a good idea for
consistency. At least, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be...

Anssi Ramela

anssi.ramela@myy.helia.fi
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:50:55 PM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:06:00 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

(snip)
>The monster list display would also be useful for that -- if only it
>worked. Unfortunately, it doesn't, at least not in the 3.0.5 windows
>binary distribution. If you turn on an additional terminal window,
>that's exactly what you get -- an additional terminal window. It's
>blank, doesn't respond to input of any kind, lacks menus, and isn't
>affected by any of the main window's menus except the one that turns it
>off again. There's no apparent way to tell it to put something in the
>terminal window!

Hi Neo,

=w

(And to prevent yet another flamewar - this means that you merely have
to press the = key to bring up the options menu, then the w key to go to
the "windows flags" submenu).

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:50:56 PM

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Hi Neo,
>
> =w
>
> (And to prevent yet another flamewar - this means that you merely have
> to press the = key to bring up the options menu, then the w key to go to
> the "windows flags" submenu).

Hrm -- problem being the window didn't respond to any input. At least,
not that I saw. I also couldn't recall finding anything in the help,
though I fiddled with the % (visuals) command a bit to see if there was
something in there for assigning something to a terminal window.

Addendum: it works -- the window doesn't visibly respond unless you type
"=w" blind, and then the ORIGINAL window shows a grid for assigning
ANYthing to ANY terminal window, rather than just the window you typed
it into displaying a menu of choices for THAT window. Strange. Perhaps
new term windows should have a menu bar with a menu listing the choices
with a check by whichever is current, and some sensible default
(inventory?). The current interface under mswin is, I must say, less
than intuitive. :/

Also, the term windows seem to be wholly noninteractive once you put
something in them. I put the monster list in one and found a monster;
there's no obvious way to select an item in the list and do a recall, or
anything else useful such as display the monster's health bar and status
(say, click a Master Vampire and it says it's unhurt, asleep, and show a
life bar of ten green stars). Of course you can 'l'ook at the thing in
your main game window and see this info and also do a recall from there,
but you can do that anyway; being able to do it from the monster list
window, in that window, without clobbering the current target etc. in
the main window would be useful.

April 4, 2005 2:20:20 PM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 04:06:16 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>> Hi Neo,
>>
>> =w
>>
>> (And to prevent yet another flamewar - this means that you merely have
>> to press the = key to bring up the options menu, then the w key to go to
>> the "windows flags" submenu).
>
>Hrm -- problem being the window didn't respond to any input. At least,
>not that I saw. I also couldn't recall finding anything in the help,
>though I fiddled with the % (visuals) command a bit to see if there was
>something in there for assigning something to a terminal window.
(snip)

Hi Neo,

The "extra" windows are read only. The main window remains the only one
that receives input (even if you activate another window, the game
processes it as if it's been types in the main window - IIRC).

I agree that it would be nice to make the windows more interactive, as
you suggest in the rest of your post, but I don't think it will happen.
It's a HUGE lot of work (I think), and probably very hard to get working
on all platforms currently supported by Angband.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:48 PM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:26:41 +0000 (UTC), Ramela wrote:

>On 2005-04-03 15:02:43, Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> wrote:
>
>> - Cursed speed rings should not increase the level feeling. (Anssi
>> Ramela and Jeff Greene)
>
>I find it oddly ego-inflating to be listed as having contributed to V. ;-)
>
>Anyway, extending this to all cursed rings would IMO, be a good idea for
>consistency. At least, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be...

Hi Anssi,

Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:49 PM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:36:48 +0200, Hugo Kornelis
<Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:26:41 +0000 (UTC), Ramela wrote:
>

>>I find it oddly ego-inflating to be listed as having contributed to V. ;-)
>>
>>Anyway, extending this to all cursed rings would IMO, be a good idea for
>>consistency. At least, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be...
>
>Hi Anssi,
>
>Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
>feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.

The Plain Gold Ring is cursed. (But that's a special case.)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:50 PM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
>>Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
>>feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.
>
> The Plain Gold Ring is cursed. (But that's a special case.)

Doesn't any out of depth object also affect level feelings, including as
a special case rings? So a ring of dex at 50' should make it "strangely
lucky" or some such -- even if it's a ring of dex (-3) {cursed}.

April 4, 2005 5:45:48 PM

"topazg" <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 2qsc2$5g2$1@news.vol.cz...
> On 2005-04-04 07:28:44, Atriel <atriel666@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Staves should be destroyable, as they already have several
>> hi-points, especially for warriors:
>> - easy activation (relative to rods)
>> - possible reapeated use if there´s charges
>> - relatively ease to find key staffs
>> And almost always there´s an alternative to staff, if there´s
>> not alternative, (healing to warriors for example), staff
>> destruction imho is something we should live with.
>
> Yet staffs are still destroyable by the most common pre-Narya manner
> problem
> with staffs, fire damage. IMHO recharging should either a) not have a
> destroy
> failure, or b) have one that reduces to 0% either using the INT stat or
> the
> Magic Device Skill
>
>> Came to this conclusion playing Heng... always picking the most
>> kickass personality / class for warrior. (low MD!)
>> Well.. i can´t activate rods of whatever and can activate
>> a staff of healing after some tries.
>>
>> A recharge shop service that would cost an insane amount of
>> money with complete safety i think would be cool.
>> Like, 5000 per healing charge, etc.
>
> I totally agree with this last one.

Adding a shop service is a big change IMHO. And beyond recharging, there are
many services that could be added. (Zangband has many).

How about adding rare and expensive Scrolls of *Recharge* that recharge to
full charges without fail, and keep the current fail=destroy behaviour in
normal scrolls of recharge?

> --
> Take Care,
> Graham
>
> Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
> Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
> C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
> players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly
> roaming
> the dungeon etc...)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:45:49 PM

Michael Hadjivassiliou wrote:
> How about adding rare and expensive Scrolls of *Recharge* that recharge
> to full charges without fail, and keep the current fail=destroy
> behaviour in normal scrolls of recharge?

Scrolls of *Recharging*, say. Mage spellbooks would be tweaked to
replace Recharge I, II, and III with just Recharging and *Recharging*
with the same effects. Sleep I, II, and III would be replaced with just
Sleep Monster and Sleep Monsters -- the latter affecting LOS. (The
current intermediate sleeps everything adjacent, which isn't all that
useful. It's useful when surrounded by weak foes, but late in the game
it's a waste of mana since those foes are so weak if they are affected
at all, and early in the game you're better off teleporting away when
surrounded by any foes whatsoever as a mage.)

April 4, 2005 5:58:18 PM

"Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> schrieb ...

>>Anyway, extending this to all cursed rings would IMO, be a good idea for
>>consistency. At least, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be...
>
> Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
> feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.

There are different ways how they affect level feeling:

Normal out of depth items only grant a bonus, if they aren't worthless.

Artifacts always grant a bonus, depending on their value.
So if the cursed ring has a high value (the One?), it would improve the feeling.

There is a special coding for rings of speed and dragon scale mail.
It's that code that has been changed to ignore cursed speed rings.

In the early game, a cursed speed ring can be a nice find.
Once i got a -1 speed ring around 1000'. I carried it around, until
i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).

Werner.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:58:19 PM

Werner Bär wrote:
> In the early game, a cursed speed ring can be a nice find.
> Once i got a -1 speed ring around 1000'. I carried it around, until
> i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
> the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).

*gasp* That's cheating!

Well, abusing a game mechanic (if you can call the shopkeepers only
knowing whatever YOU know about any given item a "game mechanic" rather
than "a really, really unjustifiably unrealistic programming shortcut"...)

April 4, 2005 6:18:35 PM

Hmm
I think scrolls of *recharge* is a good idea, but now with
stacking, it can become *VERY* overpowered too.
Scrolls of *recharge* imho should cost as much and be almost
as rare as scrolls of *acquirement*, so that it costs near a
million in the shops, if 0% destroy rate comes true.

I like destruction being based in magic device skill, but i think
its still better how [O] handles the draining / destruction of
one or several devices based on Class, the Mage being the
top MD user, followed by the other 3 mage-type, and then
by the hybrid classes / warrior.

--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
I won't change direction and I won't change my mind...
How much difference does it make?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:34:10 PM

Atriel wrote:

> Hmm
> I think scrolls of *recharge* is a good idea, but now with
> stacking, it can become *VERY* overpowered too.
> Scrolls of *recharge* imho should cost as much and be almost
> as rare as scrolls of *acquirement*, so that it costs near a
> million in the shops, if 0% destroy rate comes true.
>
> I like destruction being based in magic device skill, but i think
> its still better how [O] handles the draining / destruction of
> one or several devices based on Class, the Mage being the
> top MD user, followed by the other 3 mage-type, and then
> by the hybrid classes / warrior.

I think scrolls of *recharge* are useless already. Why create something
like that, so rare and expensive that it's much better and far far far
easier to find a new staff than the tool used to recharge it ?

It's akin to :
- We want feature A !
- Feature A is overpowered, we'll create an impossible to find item
which does that instead. That way it isn't overpowered because nobody
will use it.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:37:26 PM

Julian Lighton wrote:
> In article <d2opic$226$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Robert Ruehlmann <rr9@thangorodrim.net> wrote:
> >I've prepared an alpha version of Angband 3.0.6 to test the various
tiny
> >changes, tweaks, and bugfixes that have been added since the 3.0.5
release.

> >Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
> >- Wands and staves are no longer destroyed when a recharge attempt
> > backfires. Instead all the charges are drained.
>
> I don't like this. What's the problem with the current system?

+1 to OP.

T.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:38:13 PM

> I think scrolls of *recharge* are useless already. Why create something
> like that, so rare and expensive that it's much better and far far far
> easier to find a new staff than the tool used to recharge it ?

heh. the tool used to recharge it is very cheap. and common.
scrolls of recharging.
The proposal of scrolls of *recharging* is relative to V 305 and
before blowabe staves, INSTEAD of as it is now.
Scrolls of recharging - recharge as usual, chance to blow
the staff / wand / whatever
Scrolls of *recharging* - recharge fully, NO chance to blow.

> It's akin to :
> - We want feature A !
> - Feature A is overpowered, we'll create an impossible to find item
> which does that instead. That way it isn't overpowered because nobody
> will use it.

It´s common to me in my characters that get to dlvl 60 or so to
find lots of staves of (useful effect). I use heal staves and generally
throw them away to carry something else useful, recharging only if i
come by scroll.
Recharging 99 staves of Healing (or whatever) fully and
with 0% chance of destruction is really overpower.
Tell me it´s not overpower now.
I bet you´d be happy finding one of these scrolls having back
home a stack of say, only 10 staves of healing.
My last deep char found ~4 scrolls of *aquirement* under 3m
game turns, so i don´t think it would be very rare. Stacking
home staves of (whatever) would be a nice option.

--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
I won't change direction and I won't change my mind...
How much difference does it make?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:25:26 AM

Atriel wrote:

>> I think scrolls of *recharge* are useless already. Why create something
>> like that, so rare and expensive that it's much better and far far far
>> easier to find a new staff than the tool used to recharge it ?
>
> heh. the tool used to recharge it is very cheap. and common.
> scrolls of recharging.
> The proposal of scrolls of *recharging* is relative to V 305 and
> before blowabe staves, INSTEAD of as it is now.
> Scrolls of recharging - recharge as usual, chance to blow
> the staff / wand / whatever
> Scrolls of *recharging* - recharge fully, NO chance to blow.
>
>> It's akin to :
>> - We want feature A !
>> - Feature A is overpowered, we'll create an impossible to find item
>> which does that instead. That way it isn't overpowered because nobody
>> will use it.
>
> It´s common to me in my characters that get to dlvl 60 or so to
> find lots of staves of (useful effect). I use heal staves and generally
> throw them away to carry something else useful, recharging only if i
> come by scroll.
> Recharging 99 staves of Healing (or whatever) fully and
> with 0% chance of destruction is really overpower.
> Tell me it´s not overpower now.
> I bet you´d be happy finding one of these scrolls having back
> home a stack of say, only 10 staves of healing.
> My last deep char found ~4 scrolls of *aquirement* under 3m
> game turns, so i don´t think it would be very rare. Stacking
> home staves of (whatever) would be a nice option.

Recharging stacks of staves is somewhat of a hack already, there's no need
to imporve in that way :)

What about making scrolls of recharge only give around 1-2 charges for
staves of healing with a very low success probability each. That way, if
you really want to get a few more charges from that staff, you'll have to
carry the scrolls around or take 5lbs/charge with you :)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:49:26 AM

"Michael Hadjivassiliou" <maniakos@otenet.gr> writes:

> "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> > On 03 Apr 2005 20:54:21 -0400, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu (David J.
> > Grabiner) wrote:

> >>Not a good idea; a staff of healing now becomes a source of unlimited
> >>healing, since you can recharge when it runs out, and do it a second
> >>time if the first one fails.
> >
> > Agreed. This is unlike weapons where increasing their charge takes a
> > *lot*
> > of time and resourses, as opposed to staves which are good for a few more
>
> I disagree:

> Loosing a staff due to a recharge attempt near the endgame is just
> annoying; not
> catastrophic. You simply spend time finding another one in an earlier
> depth, and
> money is not an issue, so if it comes up in a store you will buy it.

The important staffs near the end of the game are the high-level ones,
such as healing and banishment. They are very rare, almost never found
in the black market, and have only a few charges, so you need to
conserve the charges.

> At the start of the game, money matters. So loosing a staff or wand is
> catastrophic
>
> especially if you bought it on the black market.

If you buy (or find) a powerful staff or wand early in the game, you buy
it for limited use. A wand of dragon's flame and a pile of recharging
scrolls (or a spell) should not be a source of unlimited fire balls
which can be cast repeatedly. In contrast, a rod of fire balls is a
source of unlimited fire balls, but only one can be cast per battle.

--
David Grabiner, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html
Shop at the Mobius Strip Mall: Always on the same side of the street!
Klein Glassworks, Torus Coffee and Donuts, Projective Airlines, etc.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:41:55 AM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:10:54 -0400, Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>Raymond Martineau wrote:
>>>Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
>>>feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.
>>
>> The Plain Gold Ring is cursed. (But that's a special case.)
>
>Doesn't any out of depth object also affect level feelings, including as
>a special case rings?

It doesn't seem to kick in if the object is cursed or "broken".

But there are still other items that give an automatic boost. For example,
Dragon Scale Mail gives +30 in a_m_aux_2(), regardless of if it's cursed or
not. These rating boosts appear to be hard-coded rather than included in
the data file.

(From what I see, it seems that Rings of Speed shouldn't have gotten this
bonus in the first place in 3.0.5 - wonder how the bug slipped through -
I'll find out after the download.)

>So a ring of dex at 50' should make it "strangely
>lucky" or some such -- even if it's a ring of dex (-3) {cursed}.

Unless it boosts the rating in another method, then it won't affect a
thing.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:30:31 AM

"Christophe Cavalaria" <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> wrote in message
> Atriel wrote:
>
>>> I think scrolls of *recharge* are useless already. Why create something
>>> like that, so rare and expensive that it's much better and far far far
>>> easier to find a new staff than the tool used to recharge it ?
>>
>> heh. the tool used to recharge it is very cheap. and common.
>> scrolls of recharging.
>> The proposal of scrolls of *recharging* is relative to V 305 and
>> before blowabe staves, INSTEAD of as it is now.
>> Scrolls of recharging - recharge as usual, chance to blow
>> the staff / wand / whatever
>> Scrolls of *recharging* - recharge fully, NO chance to blow.
>>
>>> It's akin to :
>>> - We want feature A !
>>> - Feature A is overpowered, we'll create an impossible to find item
>>> which does that instead. That way it isn't overpowered because nobody
>>> will use it.
>>
>> It´s common to me in my characters that get to dlvl 60 or so to
>> find lots of staves of (useful effect). I use heal staves and generally
>> throw them away to carry something else useful, recharging only if i
>> come by scroll.
>> Recharging 99 staves of Healing (or whatever) fully and
>> with 0% chance of destruction is really overpower.
>> Tell me it´s not overpower now.
>> I bet you´d be happy finding one of these scrolls having back
>> home a stack of say, only 10 staves of healing.
>> My last deep char found ~4 scrolls of *aquirement* under 3m
>> game turns, so i don´t think it would be very rare. Stacking
>> home staves of (whatever) would be a nice option.
>
> Recharging stacks of staves is somewhat of a hack already, there's no need
> to imporve in that way :)
>
> What about making scrolls of recharge only give around 1-2 charges for
> staves of healing with a very low success probability each. That way, if
> you really want to get a few more charges from that staff, you'll have to
> carry the scrolls around or take 5lbs/charge with you :)

You are talking about non-linear recharge costs here:

1) Each staff or wand has a unit charge recharge cost x which depends on
it's type: big for staves of healing and really small for light
2) A Scroll of recharge restores say 100 charge cost. It would be 2 charges
of healing if x=50 or 10 charges of light if x=10 WITH the fail rate
causing staff/wand destruction.
3) A Scroll of *Recharge* restores say 10000 charge cost WITHOUT fail.

This prevents the staff stack exploit, and balances recharging w.r.t. staff
type.
I like it.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:30:32 AM

Yep, very good idea! :)

Really, Warriors (and whatever) non mage class that wants
to play with mage toys (staves/wands) should have an
explosion in their faces sooner or later. The explosion
from MDs should have nastier effects...
but instead it was completely removed!
BTW
I like swords.

--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
I won't change direction and I won't change my mind...
How much difference does it make?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:37:06 AM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:41:55 -0400, Raymond Martineau wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:10:54 -0400, Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid>
>wrote:

>>> The Plain Gold Ring is cursed. (But that's a special case.)
>>
>>Doesn't any out of depth object also affect level feelings, including as
>>a special case rings?
>
>It doesn't seem to kick in if the object is cursed or "broken".

Hi Raymond,

Correct - the out-of-depth bonus to rating is only applied if the item
is neither cursed nor broken.

>But there are still other items that give an automatic boost. For example,
>Dragon Scale Mail gives +30 in a_m_aux_2(), regardless of if it's cursed or
>not. These rating boosts appear to be hard-coded rather than included in
>the data file.
>
>(From what I see, it seems that Rings of Speed shouldn't have gotten this
>bonus in the first place in 3.0.5 - wonder how the bug slipped through -
>I'll find out after the download.)

I don't think it's a bug. These are the types of objects that have a
hard-coded boost to rating:

DSM (all types) +30
Ring of Speed (except when cursed) +25
Amulets of Magi, Devotion, Weaponmastery, Trickery +25

The four amulets can't be cursed. I'm not sure about the DSM (never
found a cursed DSM, though), but AFAICT from the source, the +30 would
apply to cursed DSM just as well.

>>So a ring of dex at 50' should make it "strangely
>>lucky" or some such -- even if it's a ring of dex (-3) {cursed}.
>
>Unless it boosts the rating in another method, then it won't affect a
>thing.

Since it's cursed, a Ring of Dex (-3) won't affect the level feeling in
any way.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:21:16 PM

Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and Michael Hadjivassiliou did decree on 4 Apr 2005...

[snippity snip]
> >> A recharge shop service that would cost an insane amount of
> >> money with complete safety i think would be cool.
> >> Like, 5000 per healing charge, etc.
> >
> > I totally agree with this last one.
> >

> Adding a shop service is a big change IMHO. And beyond recharging, there are
> many services that could be added. (Zangband has many).
Agreed. Shop services belong in NPP or a similar variant. Much as I
like them, they seem to 'un-Vanilla-ish'.

BTW, are you talking about Cthangband? AFAIK, Zangband doesn't have
store services - not in the regular shops anyhow...

> How about adding rare and expensive Scrolls of *Recharge* that recharge to
> full charges without fail, and keep the current fail=destroy behaviour in
> normal scrolls of recharge?
Ah. *Now* you're talking. This would restore the game balance from
wands/staves being easy healing etc., but not tip it too far towards
the old behaviour (recharging being useless IMHO).
--
- Martin Bazley - "The only good zombie is a dead zombie" /
martin@bazley.freeuk.com _____________________________/_

Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and Werner Bär did decree on 4 Apr 2005...

> In the early game, a cursed speed ring can be a nice find.
> Once i got a -1 speed ring around 1000'. I carried it around, until
> i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
> the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).
>
> Werner.

Why the Black Market? Magic Shop full up?
--
- Martin Bazley - "The only good zombie is a dead zombie" /
martin@bazley.freeuk.com _____________________________/_
Wimbledon, London, England /|> | < / /\ < |>| | | |_ < /\ |/
__________________________/ |\ | _> \_ \/ _> |\ \/ |_ |_ _> \/ |\
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:34:04 PM

Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and Twisted One did decree on 4 Apr 2005...

> Werner Bär wrote:
> > In the early game, a cursed speed ring can be a nice find.
> > Once i got a -1 speed ring around 1000'. I carried it around, until
> > i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
> > the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).
>
> *gasp* That's cheating!
>
> Well, abusing a game mechanic (if you can call the shopkeepers only
> knowing whatever YOU know about any given item a "game mechanic" rather
> than "a really, really unjustifiably unrealistic programming shortcut"...)

If they *did* know about Item X being cursed, then they wouldn't buy
it. Hey presto! Primitive, free identify. Could that have something
to do with it?
--
- Martin Bazley - "The only good zombie is a dead zombie" /
martin@bazley.freeuk.com _____________________________/_
Wimbledon, London, England /|> | < / /\ < |>| | | |_ < /\ |/
__________________________/ |\ | _> \_ \/ _> |\ \/ |_ |_ _> \/ |\
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:53:18 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:31:30 +0100, Martin Bazley
<martin@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:

>Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and Werner Bär did decree on 4 Apr 2005...
>
>> In the early game, a cursed speed ring can be a nice find.
>> Once i got a -1 speed ring around 1000'. I carried it around, until
>> i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
>> the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).
>>
>> Werner.
>>
>Why the Black Market? Magic Shop full up?

Well, if he got 30,000, the Magic Shop may have had a lower payout
limit.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:29:53 AM

In article <234e63574d.martin@freeuk.com>,
Martin Bazley <martin@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:
>Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and Michael Hadjivassiliou did decree
>on 4 Apr 2005...
>> How about adding rare and expensive Scrolls of *Recharge* that recharge to
>> full charges without fail, and keep the current fail=destroy behaviour in
>> normal scrolls of recharge?
>Ah. *Now* you're talking. This would restore the game balance from
>wands/staves being easy healing etc., but not tip it too far towards
>the old behaviour (recharging being useless IMHO).

I don't find recharging anything like useless. My recent characters
are carrying around a small stack of scrolls.
--
Julian Lighton jl8e@fragment.com
/* You are not expected to understand this. */
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:48:10 PM

On 2005-04-04 13:36:48, Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote:

> Only rings of speed and the artifact rings have effect on the level
> feeling. And as far as I know, there are no cursed artifact rings.

Ah, I forgot about that too...

Anssi Ramela

anssi.ramela@myy.helia.fi
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:33:52 PM

"Martin Bazley" <martin@bazley.freeuk.com> schrieb ...

>> i found one of the umbar twins. After that, i was able to sell it to
>> the black market for 30.000 Gold (thanks to amnesia).

> Why the Black Market? Magic Shop full up?

Lower maximum price.

Werner.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:20:50 PM

Robert Ruehlmann wrote:

> Changes in Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1:
> - Added Craig Oliver's Sound FX Patch version 1.1 that adds about 120
> new sound events to the game.
> (see also http://www.chambrook.org/angband/soundfx.php)

Robert, would you be interested in adding my patch to support sounds
under Lunux? I have patches for both 3.0.5 vanilla and Craig's
"soundfx" 3.0.5 version at
http://people.smartchat.net.au/~caboo/angband/

I can supply you with a patch against the 3.0.6. alpha 1 sources if you
like.

Regards,

- Brendon.
April 8, 2005 7:07:02 PM

Robert Ruehlmann wrote:
> I've prepared an alpha version of Angband 3.0.6 to test the various
tiny
> changes, tweaks, and bugfixes that have been added since the 3.0.5
release.

> Angband 3.0.6 alpha 1 is available as source code:

ftp://ftp.thangorodrim.net/pub/angband/Source/angband-3...
> and Mac OS X version:

ftp://ftp.thangorodrim.net/pub/angband/Macintosh/Angban...
> DOS and Windows versions will follow in the next few days.
>
> - Added missing tiles and tile assignments for the 32x32 tiles. (Ivan
> Jekic and David Gervais)

Do you have a new tileset available or was this just a change in the
..prf files?

Bill
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:38:43 PM

> BTW, are you talking about Cthangband? AFAIK, Zangband doesn't have
> store services - not in the regular shops anyhow...

In Z, you can find those services e.g. in the various towers outside the
towns (if you play multiple towns with wilderness). however there are
also shops in the towns that offer services like enchanting items,
identify, healing, restoration etc. The recharge service is imo located
in the sorcery tower.

Dirk G.
!