Firewire real-time streaming without firewire port

Hi all,

I know the title of this post is a bit of a contradiction but for good reason. I'm working on a project that requires realtime streaming from a firewire camera. This has been working previously on an older pc but I'm trying to get a similar setup going on my own laptop as the performance is much better. The issue is that I don't have a firewire port and I need to use the firewire camera. I don't have PCI express ports or anything like that so any kind of adapter is not an option. I also know that the firewire/usb converters don't make any sense as they are different protocols. So here is what I have:

- A PC that has a firewire port but doesn't have any real performance for realtime image processing.
- A laptop that is brand new but doesn't have any firewire capabilities.

The question that I would love help with is how I can combine these into a realtime streaming processing machine :) Is there a way to redirect output from a peripheral over say an ethernet direct connection where the other pc could have it set as a virtual firewire port?

Does anyone have any other ideas how I may accomplish this? (Keeping in mind that I don't want to spend a lot of money to firewire to analog/digital converters are out of the question)

Thanks for your help, all input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Anthony
3 answers Last reply
More about firewire real time streaming firewire port
  1. Your new laptop, does it have an expresscard slot, USB 3.0 port or thunderbolt port?
  2. Hi Pyree,

Thanks for the response. Sorry I should have given more detail on the laptop! Yes it has one USB 3.0 port. It doesn't have a thunderbolt port but has a display port. From what I understand, dell xps doesn't have support for firewire on the motherboard so I assume a docking/expansion station with the display port would be a no no? I have looked previously for a usb3.0/firewire adapter but I didn't come across any. Do you know of any?

Thanks again for your help!
  3. I couldn't find a USB 3.0 to FW adapter. But I am pretty sure there is a USB 3.0 to expresscard adapter, so you can put a expresscard to FW in there to use FW.

Just need some searching.
Ask a new question

Read More

Streaming Firewire Peripherals