Boring levels

I've got two dungeon books so far, one from dlev 29, the other from
dlev 31, Ethereal Openings and Godly Insights, respectively. Both were
just lying on the floor.

And both were found en route from one doorway to another, on
purportedly "boring" levels. I've had only one genuinely better level
so far, dlev 6, where I found a "strangely lucky" brass lamp of
telepathy. (It certainly was lucky; I saw the same thing on sale for
$50K, at 75% discount in the general store. Phial is still gathering
dust, 20 levels after being found.)

Dungeon books are surely worth giving the same kind of "feeling" bonus
that artifacts get; often I don't find the first one until near dlev
40.

(I wasn't going to write this, until the second book showed up. That
was a bit much: nominal value is $10K, as much as a minor artifact.)

"pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> writes:

> I've got two dungeon books so far, one from dlev 29, the other from
> dlev 31, Ethereal Openings and Godly Insights, respectively. Both were
> just lying on the floor.
>
> And both were found en route from one doorway to another, on
> purportedly "boring" levels. I've had only one genuinely better level
> so far, dlev 6, where I found a "strangely lucky" brass lamp of
> telepathy. (It certainly was lucky; I saw the same thing on sale for
> $50K, at 75% discount in the general store. Phial is still gathering
> dust, 20 levels after being found.)
>
> Dungeon books are surely worth giving the same kind of "feeling" bonus
> that artifacts get; often I don't find the first one until near dlev
> 40.
>
> (I wasn't going to write this, until the second book showed up. That
> was a bit much: nominal value is $10K, as much as a minor artifact.)

Repeat after me :
"level feelings are about monsters, especially pits, not objects"

There are some minor exceptions to that rule, but it is good
enough for practical purposes.

Eddie

Eddie Grove writes:

>Repeat after me :
>"level feelings are about monsters, especially pits, not objects"

Yes, and that's why I turned off auto-scum long since: too many damn
pits, and to many OOD critters without corresponding OOD drops. But
that doesn't mean you can't augment the level-feeling algorithm.

I'm going to hack the code as follows, and see what happens after
adjustment.

Calculate the mean object value, and add a little to the level feeling
for anything 5 or 10 x that value or greater, possibly with adjustment
for deeper levels. There's already code so that a pair of cesti (0,0)
at dlev 10 gives a better level feeling, which is pretty ridiculous.
They're not ever worth wearing, and they don't make squat in the armory.

"pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> schrieb...

> I've got two dungeon books so far, one from dlev 29, the other from
> dlev 31, Ethereal Openings and Godly Insights, respectively. Both were
> just lying on the floor.
>
> And both were found en route from one doorway to another, on
> purportedly "boring" levels.

Then check your definition of 'boring'.
Out of depth items raise the level feeling, as do artifacts (in preserve).
"This level can't be all bad..." may already contain an atifact.
"You like the look of this place..." is a very high feeling before 2000'.

Werner.

"pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> schrieb ...

> There's already code so that a pair of cesti (0,0)
> at dlev 10 gives a better level feeling, which is pretty ridiculous.
> They're not ever worth wearing, and they don't make squat in the armory.

That should be a Pair of Cesti [5,+0].
And thats much better than the ordinary gloves [1,+0] you usually
find at that depth.

Werner.

In article <3bf6ulF6c8ubpU3@individual.net>,
Werner Bär <werner.baer@gmx.de> wrote:

> "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> schrieb ...
>
> > There's already code so that a pair of cesti (0,0)
> > at dlev 10 gives a better level feeling, which is pretty ridiculous.
> > They're not ever worth wearing, and they don't make squat in the armory.
>
> That should be a Pair of Cesti [5,+0].
> And thats much better than the ordinary gloves [1,+0] you usually
> find at that depth.

Even [5,+0] doesn't make them worth wearing. The extra AC just doesn't
justify the extra weight, especially since by 500' you have almost
certainly found some gloves with a +3 or so anyway. Lighter armour is
almost always preferable to heavier, unless the heavy stuff has more
valuable resistances or stat boosts; unmagical cesti, helms, metal boots
or plate armour are pretty much junk.

Best wishes,
Matthew Collett

--
Those who assert that the mathematical sciences have nothing to say
about the good or the beautiful are mistaken. -- Aristotle