Sign in with
Your question

AC Adapter Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 3, 2012 2:45:03 PM

Ok, this isn't really a computer peripheral question at all, but it is an electronic question and the only forum I know where i get real help of is this one, and this question didn't fit in any other category. I have a device that needs a 7.5v AC adapter, I ordered this device off eBay and it came with an 8.5 AC adapter (the adapter is actually for its bigger brother). Are these safe to use together? The connection for the adapter is the same, it fits, but I'm not sure if using an 8.5v adapter in a device that asks for a 7.5v adapter is safe. I know nothing about electricty, haha.

To elaborate the orignal 7.5V adapter says this (I looked it up);
Input: AC 120v~0.37a 60Hz
Output: DC 7.5v = 2.0a

and the 8.5v adapter says this;
Input 100-240v~1.2a 50/60Hz
Output: 8.5v = 4.5a

More about : adapter question

June 4, 2012 10:35:09 AM

No. You need same voltage. Unless it is for something not too sensitive to small voltage increase.

What is it for?
m
l
June 4, 2012 7:50:16 PM

My first reaction was the same as Pyree's, but then again, it might be worth it to check with the manufacturer. It is possible that there is a voltage regulator inside the device that reduces to 7.5 volts down to a lower voltage. If that is the case, then it MIGHT be OK to use the 8.5 volt adapter.
m
l
December 17, 2012 9:52:33 AM

Universal AC Adapter

There are people who have several laptops in their homes complete with individual chargers for each. Sometimes the long cords and built-in adapters can become troublesome and difficult to handle. In this regard, many people have begun raising questions as to possible solutions to this predicament.

The wonderful thing about the present time is that it is in the mode for globalization and multi-purpose gadgets. The universal laptop charger and the universal AC adapter are latest innovations, much like universal chargers which can be used for cell phones of different brands and universal remotes which can operate different TVs and set top universal ac adapter
m
l
!