Mac OSX save-files.

There's clearly some AI going on in Mac OSX (NPP) save files that I do
not understand. I have done the very simplest test: copy a save file
from one place to another and attempt to re-open it. The new copy
shows up greyed out in the file-open menu.

I can understand why it is done this way: as a protection against
cheating death. But it also means that I can't clone a dead character
to share character memory between multiple characters, and I can't back
up a save file while debugging.

Finally, it means I definitely can't play competition games.

It appears that the file open menu is using the internal macintosh type
of the file, using the mysterious apple FS file "fork" attributes. But
that doesn't get copied in ordinary copies, and it doesn't even exist
in a competition save file.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or am I just totally
forked?
3 answers Last reply
More about save files
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Rob Ruehlmann writes:
    > Try using the File/Import menu entry instead of File/Open. The
    current
    >OS X port distinguishes between Mac files with the additional resource

    >fork and "normal" files without it.

    OK, I'll download 3.0.6 (I believe problem persists in 3.0.5), and try
    to do try to do a back-port to NPP.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    pete mack wrote:
    > There's clearly some AI going on in Mac OSX (NPP) save files that I do
    > not understand. I have done the very simplest test: copy a save file
    > from one place to another and attempt to re-open it. The new copy
    > shows up greyed out in the file-open menu.

    > I can understand why it is done this way: as a protection against
    > cheating death.

    No, it is purely an UI flaw.

    < snip >

    > It appears that the file open menu is using the internal macintosh type
    > of the file, using the mysterious apple FS file "fork" attributes.

    Correct.

    > But that doesn't get copied in ordinary copies, and it doesn't even exist
    > in a competition save file.

    The resource fork gets copied when using programs that are aware of it, like
    the Finder. Of course that doesn't help with savefiles that don't have the
    resource fork in the first place.

    > Anyone have any suggestions on what to do here, or am I just totally
    > forked?

    Try using the File/Import menu entry instead of File/Open. The current OS X
    port distinguishes between Mac files with the additional resource fork and
    "normal" files without it.

    I know that this is unnecessary and confusing. I'll replace the two menu
    entries for the next Angband release with a single Open entry that doesn't
    care if a savefile comes from a Mac or not. Maybe I can also build a new
    OS X port of NPPAngband, since the current port seems to be non-functional.

    --
    Robert Ruehlmann ( rr9@thangorodrim.net )
    "Thangorodrim - The Angband Page" : http://www.thangorodrim.net/
    Visit the #angband chat channel at irc.worldirc.org
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    My bad. It works fine in NPP, without the change. (Also works with
    the change.) I had not noticed that Import command before, because
    it's not mentioned in the main screen instructions.

    Note: NPP main-crb.c and vanilla main-crb.c are highly divergent at
    this point. I was able to clobber the NPP one with only minor
    configuration updates. But it's not necessary to run NPP save files.
    Just don't be stupid like me...

Games Macintosh Video Games Mac OS X