[NPP] Quests and Hydras

Hey all,

Just out of curiosity how do you play your NPP character's quest wise?

I generally take the increasingly hard quests (monster, pit) and then when the
themed level quest pops up try and figure out if I can take it...

However I just realized that Hydra pits are quite common later on...and I really
think that they are next to impossible to wipe out. (With a warrior this is)

Anyone have any ideas?

Also is it possible to resist the attacks like plasma, time, gravity etc?

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

I'm having the same problem as you with hydras past, say, dlevel 50 or
so. 12- and 13-headeds are very nasty. Best to stay away is my only
advice.

There are no resists for those types of attacks (plasma, time,
gravity), but you can avoid some of the side effects. Plasma stuns, for
example, and that stunning part of the attack can be avoided with
confusion resistance -- but you still take full damage.

In article <d34g44$29ol$1@news.vol.cz>,
Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> However I just realized that Hydra pits are quite common later on...and I
> really
> think that they are next to impossible to wipe out. (With a warrior this is)

Hydra pits aren't difficult to wipe out *if* you approach them properly.
Make sure your basic resists are covered, and make the hydras come to
you around a corner so few of them can breathe on you at once. Have a
reliable source of teleport available in case you get hit hard and need
to recover.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

"ringlord" <hedden@cs.utk.edu> writes:

> I'm having the same problem as you with hydras past, say, dlevel 50 or
> so. 12- and 13-headeds are very nasty. Best to stay away is my only
> advice.
>
> There are no resists for those types of attacks (plasma, time,
> gravity), but you can avoid some of the side effects. Plasma stuns, for
> example, and that stunning part of the attack can be avoided with
> confusion resistance -- but you still take full damage.

[Usually sound resistance vs stunning -- is this an NPP change?]

By this time, you should have a couple rods of teleport away.

Teleport the worst, fight the rest, and keep teleporting the
worst when you bump into them.

Don't dig through rubble when it blocks things off -- go around
or try to ?phase to the other side. That way, teleported monsters
may find it inconvenient to get back to you.

Eddie

ringlord wrote:
> Plasma stuns, for example, and that stunning part of the attack can be
> avoided with confusion resistance -- but you still take full damage.

That's *sound* resistance -- it stops all magical stunning attacks from
stunning you. (You can still be stunned by melee hits, and in Oangband,
by nonmagical missile attacks that stun.)

On 2005-04-08 02:59:58, Indiana Joe <indianajoe3@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article ,
> Severoth wrote:
>
> > However I just realized that Hydra pits are quite common later on...and I
> > really
> > think that they are next to impossible to wipe out. (With a warrior this is)
>
> Hydra pits aren't difficult to wipe out *if* you approach them properly.
> Make sure your basic resists are covered, and make the hydras come to
> you around a corner so few of them can breathe on you at once. Have a
> reliable source of teleport available in case you get hit hard and need
> to recover.

I thought I would have been able to do something like that...but I got pulled
out into the open with gravity (was attacking them from around a corner) and
then got absolutely drilled by being in the firing line of six + 13 headed
hydras at once.

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

Urg. Thanks for the corrections everyone -- it is indeed RSound. Don't
know what I was thinking.

ringlord wrote:

> There are no resists for those types of attacks (plasma, time,
> gravity), but you can avoid some of the side effects. Plasma stuns, for
> example, and that stunning part of the attack can be avoided with
> confusion resistance -- but you still take full damage.

Sound, not confusion. Sound prevents stunning against distance attacks,
but not against melee.

Timo Pietilä

Indiana Joe wrote:
> In article <d34g44$29ol$1@news.vol.cz>,
> Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>However I just realized that Hydra pits are quite common later on...and I
>>really
>>think that they are next to impossible to wipe out. (With a warrior this is)
>
> Hydra pits aren't difficult to wipe out *if* you approach them properly.
> Make sure your basic resists are covered, and make the hydras come to
> you around a corner so few of them can breathe on you at once.

Deep NPP hydras are nasty. Much much nastier than in vanilla. Some of
them breathe inertia which slows, some plasma which stuns and so on.
Many of them also have very nasty melee-attacks that ruin your gear or
inventory.

You can kill all hydras, of course, but it might not be worth of trying.

Timo Pietilä

Severoth wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just out of curiosity how do you play your NPP character's quest wise?
>
> I generally take the increasingly hard quests (monster, pit) and then when the
> themed level quest pops up try and figure out if I can take it...
>
> However I just realized that Hydra pits are quite common later on...and I really
> think that they are next to impossible to wipe out. (With a warrior this is)
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Take level-quests whenever possible. They have very good rewards and are
relatively safe if you have

a) very good stealth
b) good detection
c) patience.

In level quests (strongholds) monsters do not respawn and summoners
cannot summon. So if you manage to take one monster at the time and keep
route to safety clean you can clear any strongholds. (exception. human
strongholds can have very nasty monsters that teleport themselves around).

> Also is it possible to resist the attacks like plasma, time, gravity etc?

No, but some of the side-effects can be resisted.

Timo Pietilä