1. What is your budget? $1600 (canadian) max before tax
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 16-17"
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Mostly the latter
5. How much battery life do you need? Mostly will be plugged in
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? very little fooling around on this comp mostly business. spreadsheets, word docs, quickbooks software, would preferably start handling my torrenting D/Ls though but no games. That's what my monster desktop is for.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? watching HD movies in front of the fireplace for sure (hence the tiny bit of portability--will plug in). if the laptop has an HDMI connector I could theoretically bring my 24" monitor out by the fireplace too which would mean I could go with a 16" monitor (decent enough for business apps).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I would prefer a smallish boot-up SSD with maybe 250-500 gig as a secondary. but total doesn't need to go over 500 for sure. I would consider 250gig (if it's fast) as it'll be mostly document files. Everything will be uploaded to cloud as it will handle business.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. ncix, newegg.ca, tigredirect.ca, anywhere in canada really.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? at least 3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd writer would be good. the faster the better. don't care about blueray yet
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I've only had HP laptops and both have had things fail after 2 years (both off warranty unfortunately) so I'm gravitating away from them. I've been considering ASUS as I hear great things. but I'm open.
13. What country do you live in? canada
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
*NEEDS full keyboard with number pad on right
* I would prefer at least 1 USB 3.0 port.
*I would prefer the processor to be as fast as possible just because I'm used to a top-line i7 on my desktop. But maybe I wouldn't notice something less?
* I would prefer it to have at least decent sound
*windows 7 business pref. but home or pro OK
*4-6 gig ram
*the NICEST screen possible to make watching movies as nice as possible (no TV in house)
I've already been looking at the G73 series from Asus. just don't know if I can keep the nice screen and resolutions but get rid of the vid card and improve on the processor. I was originally thinking of a gaming comp. like this just because it handle movies nicely but the processors are usually a bit light and the graphics are def. overkill (as are cooling systems etc). But I'm thinking maybe another category comp. might suit me better (bus. or multimedia?)