Competition 30 Feedback thread

Just thought I would start a thread so everyone who is participating (if they
would like to) could keep an update of how they are going here since the other
thread became a little flame infested and out of control.

Started my first entrant today...interesting I must say not having quests. Feels
like old school Moria that I used to play on my Amiga about 15 years ago lol.

No arts...surely this doesnt mean no lanterns as well? Or does the RNG just want
to punish me for something that I have done?

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

    I'm enjoying it, though I'm looking forward to trying NPP with
    artifacts and quests after the comp is finished! I think they both add
    quite a lot of fun to a game.

    I've just realised how much I've missed by not having used traps at all
    so far - it's an interesting example of familiarity with one variant
    causing you to underestimate another one. In S, traps are useless until
    the mid-game - they do very little damage and get disarmed very easily
    - where in NPP they're much better from the off.

    I also missed the fact that rogues get hit&dam bonuses with slings,
    though there seems to be some debate about whether they're better than
    a good bow or xbow before the extra shot at clev 26. Since I'm just
    about to reach 26, I'll switch to a sling now. Of course, the town
    hasn't offered one for sale for the last three trips down ....

    It's also different playing the comp with half an eye towards the turn
    count. In normal play I'm quite Neo-like, taking ages to rest, clear
    levels, waiting forever before diving etc. So diving to stat gain at
    clev 19 was quite a buzz!

    CC
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    OMIGOD! I just set my first ever trap - I'm clev 24 so I went for the
    life drain trap - it kills stone trolls in one hit!! And you don't even
    need to put anything in it.

    Oh well, at least I know the next attempt will be a darn sight easier!

    Means I can dive again too ...

    CC
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    I'm just heading down to stat gain now...resists are looking good enough to get
    there but not past. Really want confusion resist at least after stat gain.

    Just bought a shield of preservation which was a great find. Also a lantern of
    intelligence so I have sustains on everything I care about.

    Resist acid, electricity, fire, cold and have found a ring of poison resistance
    and can swap a ring of free action out for something else since i have a
    defender. :) Sling of power +8 + 15 that I have had since level 7 is my main
    source of damage. Level 28 now...

    Heroic stealth is kinda funny. Just lets me pick a boss out of his entire group
    of escorts without waking them out and then I can duel him alone.

    The biggest thing I have learnt from this is you dont need arts...and nothing
    beats playing cautiously.

    Will post some more if I survive stat gain.

    --
    "Omnia mors aequat"
    "Death levels all distinctions"
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Okies wasnt going to post...but I just recalled back down and on 1150 feet I
    found a greater vault.

    Adunaphel the quiet
    Ibun son of Mim
    Nar the Dwarf
    Uldor the Accursed
    Medusa the Gorgon

    And various assorted creatures.....

    Killed Ibun but Medusa was just throwing to many plasma bolts to be safe so I
    recalled out of there.

    --
    "Omnia mors aequat"
    "Death levels all distinctions"
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-04-09 14:40:27, Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    Did some solid diving straight down to 1650...and passed through way to many
    pits to be happy. Dont know if I can kill these critters fast enough the way I
    have been doing it.

    --
    "Omnia mors aequat"
    "Death levels all distinctions"
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:27:32 +0000 (UTC), Severoth wrote:

    >Just thought I would start a thread so everyone who is participating (if they
    >would like to) could keep an update of how they are going here

    Just lost my seventh attempt, in his first dive. I had taken out some
    Cave Orcs, but the remaining ones were too much to handle, I was out of
    !CLW and this being the first dive, I had no ?PhaseDoor. So I had to
    make a dash for the stairs, The orcs walked just as fast as I did, so I
    managed OK - until a bunch of Wood Spiders approached from the other
    side.

    On my last move, I found myself surrounded, poisoned and at zero HP.
    With a final "Bansaiii!", I swept my short sword at one of the spiders.
    Here are the messages that followed (they made me laugh - but maybe
    that's just me?)

    > You hit the Wood spider.
    > You have slain the Wood spider.
    > Welcome to level 8.
    > You can learn 1 more spell.
    > You die.

    Oh well. Bed scheduled for now, attempt #8 scheduled for tomorrow.

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Hugo Kornelis wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:27:32 +0000 (UTC), Severoth wrote:
    >
    > >Just thought I would start a thread so everyone who is participating
    (if they
    > >would like to) could keep an update of how they are going here
    >
    > Just lost my seventh attempt, in his first dive.

    My 15th Kelumen is now clevel 17, which is 3rd on my score table. 1st
    made clevel 28, died to an Air Elemental - hit to confuse + quick, and
    I had 10 !CCWs but no means of hasting; quaffed them all, still
    confused, died. 2nd was clevel 27, swapped boots of Free Action for
    Boots of Stability because of nexus hounds, then met a Gorgimaera and
    tried to melee it, paralysed, died.

    Other 12 were even worse - it's amazing what a bad combination
    laziness, carelessness, impatience and stupidity makes :)

    > On my last move, I found myself surrounded, poisoned and at zero HP.
    > With a final "Bansaiii!", I swept my short sword at one of the
    spiders.
    > Here are the messages that followed (they made me laugh - but maybe
    > that's just me?)
    >
    > > You hit the Wood spider.
    > > You have slain the Wood spider.
    > > Welcome to level 8.
    > > You can learn 1 more spell.
    > > You die.

    My best one was

    > You die.
    > You are no longer bleeding.

    Nick.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On the fourth moon of the second planet of a dying star,
    Nick was seen to write...

    [Rearranged a bit, to be grammatically correct]
    > My 15th Kelumen is now clevel 17, which is 3rd on my score table. 1st
    > made clevel 28, died to an Air Elemental - hit to confuse + quick, and
    > I had 10 !CCWs but no means of hasting; quaffed them all, still
    > confused, died. 2nd was clevel 27, swapped boots of Free Action for
    > Boots of Stability because of nexus hounds, then met a Gorgimaera and
    > tried to melee it, paralysed, died.
    >
    > Other 12 were even worse - it's amazing what a bad combination
    > laziness, carelessness, impatience and stupidity makes :)
    You get used to it. After a while, you learn that approximately 100%
    of YASDs are caused by one or the other of these. :->

    My problem is diving too quickly. Yes, my chars level quickly, but
    after a while I run into a powerful unique (Wormtongue, Bullroarer...)
    Splat. Instakill.

    > Hugo Kornelis wrote:
    > > On my last move, I found myself surrounded, poisoned and at zero HP.
    > > With a final "Bansaiii!", I swept my short sword at one of the
    > spiders.
    > > Here are the messages that followed (they made me laugh - but maybe
    > > that's just me?)
    > >
    > > > You hit the Wood spider.
    > > > You have slain the Wood spider.
    > > > Welcome to level 8.
    > > > You can learn 1 more spell.
    > > > You die.
    LOL! Is that what they call 'going out in a blaze of glory'?

    Here are any respectable Angband addict's worst nightmares:

    The Great Wyrm of Power breathes disenchantment.
    The Gravity Hound breathes gravity. <6x>
    The Small kobold hits you.
    You die.

    ***LOW HITPOINT WARNING!*** <12x>
    You die.
    You are no longer poisoned.

    The Floating eye gazes at you.
    You are paralyzed!
    The Cave orc hits you. <2x>
    The Floating eye...etc. etc.
    You die.
    (The cave orc is optional, by the way.)

    Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog bites you. <4x>
    ***LOW HITPOINT WARNING!***
    You hit Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog.
    You have slain Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog.
    It touches you.
    You die.

    ***LOW HITPOINT WARNING!***
    You hit the Large kobold.
    The Large kobold flees in terror!
    Note: OK, let's see what this wand of wonder can do...
    The Large kobold looks healthier.
    The Large kobold recovers its courage.
    The Large kobold hits you.
    You die.

    You feel yourself yanked downwards!
    The door appears to be stuck.
    You smash into the door! The door holds firm. <100x>
    You are getting hungry.
    You have nothing to eat.
    You have no scrolls to read.
    You smash into the door! The door holds firm. <50x>
    You are getting weak from hunger!
    You smash into the door! The door holds firm. <25x>
    You are getting faint from hunger!
    You smash into the door! The door holds firm. You faint from the
    lack of food. You are paralyzed! <25x>
    You die.

    You have slain Morgoth, Lord of Darkness.
    ***CONGRATULATIONS!***
    You have won the game!
    You may retire (commit suicide) when you are ready.
    The Nether Hound breathes nether.
    You die.

    (And to finish off with something that doesn't involve dying, but makes
    you wish you were dead...)

    You see Power Dragon Scale Mail [50].
    You found a trap!
    You fall through a trap door!

    (Feel free to make your own additions...)
    --
    - Martin Bazley - "Being me is a 24-hour job"
    martin@bazley.freeuk.com - Wimbledon, London, England

    On 10 Apr 2005 04:59:42 -0700, Nick wrote:

    (snip)
    >Other 12 were even worse - it's amazing what a bad combination
    >laziness, carelessness, impatience and stupidity makes :)

    Hi Nick,

    My best ones so far all died to uniques. Somehow, when I detect one, I
    feel an intense desire to kill it.

    I think I need a Keyboard of Resist Unique.

    >> > You hit the Wood spider.
    >> > You have slain the Wood spider.
    >> > Welcome to level 8.
    >> > You can learn 1 more spell.
    >> > You die.
    >
    >My best one was
    >
    >> You die.
    >> You are no longer bleeding.

    Cold comfort. :-)

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    I feel I must contribute this gem of Leon's to the list:

    http://tinyurl.com/54jx3

    (you can also just google for "and the white worm mass got in the final
    blow" ....)

    CC
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> writes:

    > I feel I must contribute this gem of Leon's to the list:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/54jx3
    >
    > (you can also just google for "and the white worm mass got in the final
    > blow" ....)
    >
    > CC

    That was great.

    Eddie
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    hehe, that reminds me of one time when I was playing Z, I was walking
    through town with my pet following closely. Then the message was
    something like:

    The filthy street urchin touches your saber-tooth tiger.
    Nothing was stolen!

    you can guess what happened next. I just couldn't stop thinking ...
    how did that ever seem like a good idea !?

    Murphy S.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 10 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
    Martin Bazley wrote:

    > (Feel free to make your own additions...)

    Today's comp: the profitable theft.

    You have stolen 22 gold pieces worth of silver.
    You miss the Scruffy looking hobbit.
    The Scruffy looking hobbit hits you.
    The Scruffy looking hobbit touches you.
    Your purse feels lighter.
    50 coins were stolen!

    --
    Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

    The only rose without thorns is friendship.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-04-09 02:27:32, Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    > Just thought I would start a thread so everyone who is participating (if they
    > would like to) could keep an update of how they are going here since the other
    > thread became a little flame infested and out of control.

    have a look at my misery: Cleared a red dragon nest, including 6 wyrms. No i
    don't have immunity, cloaks of aman seem to be really rare...This is what I
    brought back:

    k) 21 Rounded Pebbles of Slay Animal (1d3) (+9,+13)
    It slays animals.
    l) 6 Rounded Pebbles of Acid (1d3) (+5,+5) {=g}
    It is branded with acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
    m) 27 Rounded Pebbles of Venom (1d2) (+5,+5) {=g}
    It is branded with poison.
    n) 4 Rounded Pebbles (1d2) (+3,+5) {@f0 =g}
    o) 24 Iron Shots of Frost (1d4) (+5,+7) {=g}
    It is branded with frost. It cannot be harmed by cold.
    p) 17 Iron Shots (1d4) (+6,+7) {@f0 =g}
    q) 9 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+12,+12)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.
    r) 6 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+11,+12)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.
    s) 19 Mithril Shots (3d4) (+10,+9)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.
    t) 28 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+8,+12)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.
    u) 19 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+10,+9)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.
    v) 25 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+3,+0)
    It cannot be harmed by acid.

    The inscripted ones are the ones I took down, just twice the amount.
    Home is full, and I don't have the money to enchant them together.
    I would love to see a shop service to reduce plusses, or even dice (see slot s),
    if it would be not that expensive. Maybe 1k per plus. Would make sense too, a
    smith who can make things sharp should be able to get them blunt too.
    Even better, if there was a bag to hold several kind of sling shots... but that
    would
    likely make things less balanced
    For now I'll just sell everything less than 10 and continue my hunt
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:

    > have a look at my misery: Cleared a red dragon nest, including 6
    wyrms. No i
    > don't have immunity, cloaks of aman seem to be really rare...This is
    what I
    > brought back:

    [big snip]

    > Home is full, and I don't have the money to enchant them together.
    > I would love to see a shop service to reduce plusses, or even dice
    (see slot s),
    > if it would be not that expensive. Maybe 1k per plus. Would make
    sense too, a
    > smith who can make things sharp should be able to get them blunt too.

    Nice idea - a service of "combine ammo" which would reduce all your
    chosen ammo to the lowest common denominator (for dice and plusses).

    > Even better, if there was a bag to hold several kind of sling
    shots... but that
    > would likely make things less balanced

    I'm not sure it would. Sang has a "quiver" which holds up to 10 sets of
    ammo (slots 0-9, which are handy for firing with f-0, f-1, f-2 etc).
    Perhaps we could persuade Jeff to incorporate that quiver code?

    CC
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:

    > have a look at my misery: Cleared a red dragon nest, including 6
    wyrms. No i
    > don't have immunity, cloaks of aman seem to be really rare...This is
    what I
    > brought back:

    [big snip]

    > Home is full, and I don't have the money to enchant them together.
    > I would love to see a shop service to reduce plusses, or even dice
    (see slot s),
    > if it would be not that expensive. Maybe 1k per plus. Would make
    sense too, a
    > smith who can make things sharp should be able to get them blunt too.

    Nice idea - a service of "combine ammo" which would reduce all your
    chosen ammo to the lowest common denominator (for dice and plusses).

    > Even better, if there was a bag to hold several kind of sling
    shots... but that
    > would likely make things less balanced

    I'm not sure it would. Sang has a "quiver" which holds up to 10 sets of
    ammo (slots 0-9, which are handy for firing with f-0, f-1, f-2 etc).
    Perhaps we could persuade Jeff to incorporate that quiver code?

    CC
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    One Oangband feature I would really like to see more widely adopted is
    the quiver.

    --
    Bahman Rabii
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Bahman Rabii <bahman@oangband.com> writes:

    > One Oangband feature I would really like to see more widely adopted is
    > the quiver.
    >
    > Jeda <Jeda@uni.de> writes:
    >
    >> k) 21 Rounded Pebbles of Slay Animal (1d3) (+9,+13)
    >> It slays animals.
    >> l) 6 Rounded Pebbles of Acid (1d3) (+5,+5) {=g}
    >> It is branded with acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> m) 27 Rounded Pebbles of Venom (1d2) (+5,+5) {=g}
    >> It is branded with poison.
    >> n) 4 Rounded Pebbles (1d2) (+3,+5) {@f0 =g}
    >> o) 24 Iron Shots of Frost (1d4) (+5,+7) {=g}
    >> It is branded with frost. It cannot be harmed by cold.
    >> p) 17 Iron Shots (1d4) (+6,+7) {@f0 =g}
    >> q) 9 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+12,+12)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> r) 6 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+11,+12)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> s) 19 Mithril Shots (3d4) (+10,+9)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> t) 28 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+8,+12)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> u) 19 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+10,+9)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >> v) 25 Mithril Shots (2d4) (+3,+0)
    >> It cannot be harmed by acid.
    >
    > --
    > Bahman Rabii

    This reminds me of an annoyance in my current game. To conserve
    slots, I discarded my bolts of slay undead figuring that a heap of
    fire-branded would more than cover my needs. Imagine my anguish when
    an undead beholder laughed at my fire bolts.

    Slingless Rogue
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    I *LOVE* chests in NPP. Playing slowly this time (clev 28 at 1500'), I
    just found a chest with six unidentified potions in it. Enlightenment,
    Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence, Dexterity and Experience.

    Just had to share that.

    Nick.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Jeda" <Matthias.n0spamRudolf@gmail.helloworld.com> writes:

    > "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Jeda wrote:
    >> > On 2005-04-09 02:27:32, Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yay Morgy is down. According to monster memory no manastrom was
    > invoked, but he
    >>
    >> > GameTurn ******* Armor [10,+93] Saving Throw Legendary
    >>
    >> Why does this show ******* in turns? How many turns did you use?
    >
    > It means that I don't want to tell before end of the month,
    > If you knew how many turns you have left, you would speed up/slow down as
    > necessary :)

    But you gave away that it is 7 digits! All anyone has to do
    is set a goal of 999999 turns. :)

    Slingless Rogue
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:

    > Yay Morgy is down.

    Very impressive. Congrats.

    My best effort is currently clev 32 at 1900', and about 1/4 of the turns
    you used to _win_. So now I need to decide whether to go on playing
    conservatively, or dive like a maniac.

    Nick.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-04-14 14:45:15, Jeda <Jeda@uni.de> wrote:

    > Yay Morgy is down. According to monster memory no manastrom was invoked, but he
    > used his plasma bolts several times (~550-600dmg) , one of them brought me down
    > to 54hp. Don't think he casts those in vanilla.. Ah whatever I had 25 holy
    > might, and 50 slay evil mythril shots and that was enough... Had to tele him
    > away once to get my shots back :)

    > I didn't leave many uniques alive, cantoras, tarrasque, hydra, pazuzu were the
    > only high ones left, all got summoned, all got teled away and didn't reappear.

    This tells you he took a decent number of turns.

    > b) a Sling of Buckland (x2) (+16,+20) (+1)
    > It increases your dexterity by 1. It increases your shooting
    > speed and shooting power by 1. It cannot be harmed by acid
    > or fire.

    Awesome purchase. what dlvl were you on when you bought it?

    I had to do the math:
    > u) 14 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (3d4) (+21,+21) {=g MorgySlayers !d!k!v}
    > It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    > be harmed by acid or fire.
    ~470 dmg/player round

    > w) 27 Mithril Shots of Slay Evil (2d4) (+19,+20) {=g}
    > It slays all evil creatures. It cannot be harmed by acid.
    ~440 dmg/player round.

    So here's the question, what if you don't find a Bucky sling?
    1) well, a bucky sling gives (x9) multipier.
    2) A normal might or shots +1 gives a (x6 multiplier)
    Thus, you would do roughly 2/3's his damage.
    This means you have to throw 50% more shots at Morgy.
    He had 75 shots, lost 25% of them, then went back to pick up
    the remaining 56 of them, so took at most 130 shots.
    A +shots sling would need ~200 shots, and 50% more healing
    vs. morgy(and 50% more luck?)
    A +might sling would only need 130 shots, but still require as
    much healing and luck.

    Assuming you need 200 shots, and only have the 75 that he had,
    you would have to tele-away Morgy 3x to go and pick up the shots.

    3)Assuming you had a +1shots xbow like Eddie, you'd have (x8).
    However, without the massive tohit bonus, it's probably similar to
    the +might calculation above, so ~130 total bolts fired. Bolts,
    however, are 1) more common, and 2) have higher seeker/mithril
    damage.

    IOW, it's very do'able without a Morgy sling. You've just got to
    stomach 50% more rounds with morgy than he did.

    > c) an Amethyst Ring of Speed (+14) {!d!k!v floor 4250}
    > It increases your speed by 14.

    21 perm. speed. should be doable by anyone at that depth.

    Also findable by anyone @ morgy death

    > e) a Flint Stone Amulet of Trickery (+3)

    May be necessary for most players to reach 20 speed.

    > g) a Robe of Permanence [2,+18] {cha/bli}
    > very early found this one (25?), covers two very important stats
    stats? sustains? did you melee Morgy?

    --
    Gallowglass
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Jeda wrote:
    >
    > > Yay Morgy is down.
    >
    > Very impressive. Congrats.
    >
    > My best effort is currently clev 32 at 1900', and about 1/4 of the turns
    > you used to _win_. So now I need to decide whether to go on playing
    > conservatively, or dive like a maniac.
    >
    > Nick.

    thanks... but where did i forget to delete my turncount?
    I asterisked them in the C screen and deleted most of the notes
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "Jeda" <Matthias.n0spamRudolf@gmail.helloworld.com> writes:
    >
    > > "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > > invoked, but he

    > >> Why does this show ******* in turns? How many turns did you use?
    > >
    > > It means that I don't want to tell before end of the month,
    > > If you knew how many turns you have left, you would speed up/slow down
    as
    > > necessary :)
    >
    > But you gave away that it is 7 digits! All anyone has to do
    > is set a goal of 999999 turns. :)

    or maybe I have just made 7 stars, that you guys believe
    999999 is enough... Nah of course it is more than 1m :)
    But I didn't accidently add same number of stars as digits, all part of a
    greater
    plan...

    j/k Jeda

    > Slingless Rogue
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:
    > On 2005-04-09 02:27:32, Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    > Yay Morgy is down. According to monster memory no manastrom was invoked, but he

    > GameTurn ******* Armor [10,+93] Saving Throw Legendary

    Why does this show ******* in turns? How many turns did you use?

    (I need more hours in day in order to be able to play. Damn RL)

    Timo Pietilä
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Jeda wrote:
    > > On 2005-04-09 02:27:32, Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > > Yay Morgy is down. According to monster memory no manastrom was
    invoked, but he

    > > GameTurn ******* Armor [10,+93] Saving Throw Legendary
    >
    > Why does this show ******* in turns? How many turns did you use?

    It means that I don't want to tell before end of the month,
    If you knew how many turns you have left, you would speed up/slow down as
    necessary :)

    > (I need more hours in day in order to be able to play. Damn RL)
    >
    > Timo Pietilä
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Gallowglass" <spam16384@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On 2005-04-14 14:45:15, Jeda <Jeda@uni.de> wrote:
    >
    > > Yay Morgy is down. According to monster memory no manastrom was
    invoked, but he
    > > used his plasma bolts several times (~550-600dmg) , one of them brought
    me down
    > > to 54hp. Don't think he casts those in vanilla.. Ah whatever I had 25
    holy
    > > might, and 50 slay evil mythril shots and that was enough... Had to tele
    him
    > > away once to get my shots back :)
    >
    > > I didn't leave many uniques alive, cantoras, tarrasque, hydra, pazuzu
    were the
    > > only high ones left, all got summoned, all got teled away and didn't
    reappear.

    > This tells you he took a decent number of turns.

    yup, speeddiver will get me if they win

    > > b) a Sling of Buckland (x2) (+16,+20) (+1)
    > > It increases your dexterity by 1. It increases your shooting
    > > speed and shooting power by 1. It cannot be harmed by acid
    > > or fire.
    >
    > Awesome purchase. what dlvl were you on when you bought it?

    dlvl 85, used of might most of the game. Of might is enough to kill wyrms,
    what was once again
    the strategy to gain equipment

    > I had to do the math:
    > > u) 14 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (3d4) (+21,+21) {=g MorgySlayers
    !d!k!v}
    > > It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    > > be harmed by acid or fire.
    > ~470 dmg/player round
    >
    > > w) 27 Mithril Shots of Slay Evil (2d4) (+19,+20) {=g}
    > > It slays all evil creatures. It cannot be harmed by acid.
    > ~440 dmg/player round.
    >
    > So here's the question, what if you don't find a Bucky sling?
    > 1) well, a bucky sling gives (x9) multipier.
    > 2) A normal might or shots +1 gives a (x6 multiplier)
    > Thus, you would do roughly 2/3's his damage.
    > This means you have to throw 50% more shots at Morgy.
    > He had 75 shots, lost 25% of them, then went back to pick up
    > the remaining 56 of them, so took at most 130 shots.
    > A +shots sling would need ~200 shots, and 50% more healing
    > vs. morgy(and 50% more luck?)
    > A +might sling would only need 130 shots, but still require as
    > much healing and luck.
    >
    > Assuming you need 200 shots, and only have the 75 that he had,
    > you would have to tele-away Morgy 3x to go and pick up the shots.
    >
    > 3)Assuming you had a +1shots xbow like Eddie, you'd have (x8).
    > However, without the massive tohit bonus, it's probably similar to
    > the +might calculation above, so ~130 total bolts fired. Bolts,
    > however, are 1) more common, and 2) have higher seeker/mithril
    > damage.

    Yup it's the toHit bonus that forces the sling, as off sling/shot hit rating
    is almost impossible to come by
    my hit rating: 60(sling+bonus)+20temp+20 shot = 100. Without the bonus you
    would end around 60... Happy missing morgoth
    I hit maybe 60-70% of the time.. Not sure if melee is an option, I decided
    to go the ranged way

    > IOW, it's very do'able without a Morgy sling. You've just got to
    > stomach 50% more rounds with morgy than he did.

    agree, but I was still happy to have it. 50% more rounds is not a problem
    healingwhise, maybe shotwhise...

    > > c) an Amethyst Ring of Speed (+14) {!d!k!v floor 4250}
    > > It increases your speed by 14.
    >
    > 21 perm. speed. should be doable by anyone at that depth.
    >
    > > d) an Obsidian Ring of Constitution (+6)
    > > It increases your constitution by 6. It sustains your
    > > constitution.

    and there's no way to go without it without loosing 18/200 cons I think. You
    could use +2 cons gloves, but
    would loose your spellabilities
    > Also findable by anyone @ morgy death
    >
    > > e) a Flint Stone Amulet of Trickery (+3)
    >
    > May be necessary for most players to reach 20 speed.

    My last winner had 26 hasted :)

    > > g) a Robe of Permanence [2,+18] {cha/bli}
    > > very early found this one (25?), covers two very important stats
    > stats? sustains? did you melee Morgy?

    I meant resistances... blindness and chaos. No i didn't melee morgoth, one
    shattering hit and my shots
    are gone..

    > --
    > Gallowglass
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:45:15 +0000 (UTC), Jeda wrote:

    >Yay Morgy is down.

    Congratulations! Quite an impressive feat.

    Just as a matter of interest: how many hours (real-time) did it take
    you?

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-04-14 21:24:59, Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:45:15 +0000 (UTC), Jeda wrote:
    >
    > >Yay Morgy is down.
    >
    > Congratulations! Quite an impressive feat.
    >
    > Just as a matter of interest: how many hours (real-time) did it take
    > you?

    I think I started playing thursday or friday, playing 2-6 hours a day, so i'd
    say 24-48 hours total play time. The winner was KelumenIII, and I and II died
    early, so this is also the total competition time

    > Best, Hugo
    > --
    > Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    > There is a puff of smoke!
    >
    > (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

    Anyone got an idea why this thread is so messed up on oook?
    It looks all normal on my other comp & Outlook
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:
    > Anyone got an idea why this thread is so messed up on oook?
    > It looks all normal on my other comp & Outlook

    If it looks normal in Outlook, it's a safe bet that it's really f00ked
    up. :P

  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Bahman Rabii" <bahman@oangband.com> wrote in message

    > One Oangband feature I would really like to see more widely adopted is
    > the quiver.

    I go back and forth on this one.....I supposed because Vanilla archery is so
    overpowered for classes like Ranger I didn't do this. Maybe now that I have
    changed things it might work in NPP now.

    -Jeff
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Hi Jeda,

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:06:42 +0000 (UTC), Jeda wrote:

    (snip)
    >> Just as a matter of interest: how many hours (real-time) did it take
    >> you?
    >>

    >I think I started playing thursday or friday, playing 2-6 hours a day, so i'd
    >say 24-48 hours total play time. The winner was KelumenIII, and I and II died
    >early, so this is also the total competition time

    So you're quick as well. :-)

    Wow.

    (snip)
    >Anyone got an idea why this thread is so messed up on oook?
    >It looks all normal on my other comp & Outlook

    Using Agent, I see no mess. Maybe it's the changes in the subject that
    Oook can't handle?

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:
    > "Gallowglass" <spam16384@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>>e) a Flint Stone Amulet of Trickery (+3)
    >>
    >>May be necessary for most players to reach 20 speed.
    >>
    > My last winner had 26 hasted :)

    OK. I counted and counted and checked and re-checked and didn't find how
    you did get +30 speed. Now I know that you didn't. You did take quite a
    risk by not getting +30 speed. Extra shots from sling helps for that,
    but every time you heal/teleport other/yourself you are in danger.

    For Comp. char that is understandable, but non-comp. char I would try to
    get more speed.

    Timo Pietilä
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Jeda wrote:
    > thanks... but where did i forget to delete my turncount?

    You didn't. I (a) mistook experience for turns, (b) had my own
    turncount wrong for the comparison anyway and (c) got stupidly killed
    fighting Waldern for several rounds when I was clearly losing..."come
    on, do your worst...oh".

    I'm starting to think I ought to think more.

    Nick.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    > Jeda wrote:
    > > "Gallowglass" <spam16384@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > >>May be necessary for most players to reach 20 speed.
    > >>
    > > My last winner had 26 hasted :)
    >
    > OK. I counted and counted and checked and re-checked and didn't find how
    > you did get +30 speed. Now I know that you didn't. You did take quite a
    > risk by not getting +30 speed. Extra shots from sling helps for that,
    > but every time you heal/teleport other/yourself you are in danger.

    no no you got me wrong there.. with last winner i meant the one before
    kelumen (vanilla hobbit warrior), who had 26 hasted, and only because i had
    eaten to much before the battle, and got gorged by potions... and I didn't
    feel like restarting the fight

    Kelu had 30 hasted: 14 ring, 3 amu, 4 boots = 21 - 1 weight + 10 haste = 30

    > For Comp. char that is understandable, but non-comp. char I would try to
    > get more speed.

    Yeah with arts on, 30 speed is usually easy to get
    -- Jeda

    > Timo Pietilä
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Jeda" <Matthias.nospamRudo@t-online.de> writes:

    > "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > You're going the opposite way of me then, I never meleed the entire game,
    > well nothing
    > that wasn't lower than myself
    > May I ask what you are using against stronger things? Melee or XBow? Both?

    Mostly xbow, various since 1150', but now I probably use the xbow too
    much. I assume the rogue hits better than he shoots, but the last
    time I explored those issues was years ago, and I am in the habit of
    plinking everything.

    >> My character looks similar to the recent YAWP using weaponESP,
    >> launcher+1shot, ringSpeed, ringCon, amuletTrickery, armorElvenkind,
    >> and shieldPreserv. My one slot that might be better is the
    >> gauntletsPower+2 which allows 5 swings with a twoHandedSword.
    >>

    > I think I saw one of those too. But those make your casting worse don't
    > they. Is it worth it?

    I don't know if it affects casting or not, but in any case the minimum
    failure rate of 5% doesn't change. It saps 1/4 or so of your mana,
    but that's a fair price to pay for another blow.

    > if you kill M now, you easily beat my time... Are you waiting for speed
    > boots or will you try with 21 speed?

    It looks like fun to try to kill M with traps. There seems to be
    [from code-diving] a nasty dispel monster trap, and presumably I need
    to get to cLevel 50 to set it. M won't step on them, but I was
    thinking of using a staff of summoning as a key part of my arsenal!

    So the answer is, I am waiting for cLevel 50. I doubt I'll have the
    patience to wait any longer, so it's whatever speed I have then.

    I have been quite distracted, so there is a substantial chance I won't
    survive. Last trip down I forgot to recharge my staff of destruction,
    but felt my 2 scrolls were too precious to use, and just barely managed
    to flee Azathoth and Gothmog and Huan and a few others while waiting for
    my -recall to kick in.

    >> q) 24 Mithril Bolts of Holy Might (3d5) (+23,+10)
    >> It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    >> be harmed by acid or fire.
    > (...)
    >> v) 31 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (2d4) (+21,+24)
    >> It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    >> be harmed by acid or fire.
    >> w) 39 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (2d4) (+23,+17)
    >> It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    >> be harmed by acid or fire.
    >
    > three holy mights? All my 5 winners combined found 2 holy might things,
    > good sign I'd say :)

    The shots are another sad story. Down at 2800', I used !enlightenment.
    It was strange to see a checkerboard empty except for a dozen piles of
    ammo. I think both piles of shots of holy mights came from then. I
    thought I couldn't clear it because a HellWyrm could kill me with one
    breath [before I bought ?Resistances]. Turns out I should have
    double-checked the arithmetic, because I could have survived one
    breath after all, having 434 hp. Maybe I gained a level and didn't
    notice? Anyway, what a wasted opportunity. I cleared from both ends,
    but only got 20-25% of it, which really means 10-15% since I had to
    teleport the monsters away so often.

    Slingless Rogue
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Eddie Grove writes:

    [YACD: Kelumen at 4350']

    I've seen very few lanterns as speculative swap items in home inventory
    in these character dumps. There are 2 -- Brightness and Seeing -- that
    are fantastic, and one -- ESP -- that is good, and arguably fantastic.
    Even the stat lanterns are good when it's a choice between 18/190 and
    18/200.
    Are they really that rare that you generally only find one in the
    entire game, or did you sell some along the way? Or are you squelching
    them with acid balls?

    Maybe NPP ego lanterns should be acid-proof, for ID convenience...
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Eddie Grove writes:
    >
    > [YACD: Kelumen at 4350']
    >
    > I've seen very few lanterns as speculative swap items in home inventory
    > in these character dumps. There are 2 -- Brightness and Seeing -- that
    > are fantastic, and one -- ESP -- that is good, and arguably fantastic.
    > Even the stat lanterns are good when it's a choice between 18/190 and
    > 18/200.
    > Are they really that rare that you generally only find one in the
    > entire game, or did you sell some along the way? Or are you squelching
    > them with acid balls?
    >
    > Maybe NPP ego lanterns should be acid-proof, for ID convenience...

    I only saw two so far in the game, both in the shop, one Brightness
    and one Stealth. No squelching, and I am pretty sure none got
    destroyed when I was around to notice.

    Eddie
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> writes:

    > "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    >> Eddie Grove writes:
    >>
    >> [YACD: Kelumen at 4350']
    >>
    >> I've seen very few lanterns as speculative swap items in home inventory
    >> in these character dumps. There are 2 -- Brightness and Seeing -- that
    >> are fantastic, and one -- ESP -- that is good, and arguably fantastic.
    >> Even the stat lanterns are good when it's a choice between 18/190 and
    >> 18/200.
    >> Are they really that rare that you generally only find one in the
    >> entire game, or did you sell some along the way? Or are you squelching
    >> them with acid balls?
    >>
    >> Maybe NPP ego lanterns should be acid-proof, for ID convenience...
    >
    > I only saw two so far in the game, both in the shop, one Brightness
    > and one Stealth. No squelching, and I am pretty sure none got
    > destroyed when I was around to notice.

    Oh - to put it in perspective - I have seen two ego slings in the game,
    both in the dungeon, one accuracy, the other accuracy or power. I
    kill fewer monsters than most, so perhaps it is foolish to draw any
    conclusions about object scarcity from my game. I am not sure that
    I have seen even one ?Resistances all game [besides the one I bought
    as a store service], and certainly have not seen two. OTOH, I have
    sold at least 6 ?Purifications.

    Eddie
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    > Severoth <severoth@bigpond.net.au> writes:
    >
    > > Just thought I would start a thread so everyone who is participating (if
    they
    > > would like to) could keep an update of how they are going here since the
    other
    > > thread became a little flame infested and out of control.
    >
    > Well, I'm approaching 1M turns, so here's an update. Autoscum on all
    > the way. As usual for me, no ASC's or hack-and-back etc.
    >
    > Closest to death was vs the Mouth. I used ESP to watch him approach,
    > waiting to teleport away. He fast-stepped around the corner and
    > stormed to confuse, but I !CCW and he didn't bother to kill me, so I
    > was able to ?destruct. I forgot to switch hats, ESP for serenity.
    > Wouldn't that have been a YASD.
    >
    > The RNG has granted me oodles of ESP over the game, but has otherwise
    > been mean. E.g., I half-cleared a greater vault for a chest of
    > handgear and three ?acquirement, and uselessly get three handgear+5dex
    > and a frosty sword for my troubles. I've seen 1 elvenkind armor with
    > near-useless rNether, and two elvenkind shields with rDisenchant,
    > which blows since I was already wielding preservation.
    >
    > No sling of extra might all game, and in fact only two with decent
    > plusses. Haven't fired a sling shot all game.

    You're going the opposite way of me then, I never meleed the entire game,
    well nothing
    that wasn't lower than myself
    May I ask what you are using against stronger things? Melee or XBow? Both?

    > My character looks similar to the recent YAWP using weaponESP,
    > launcher+1shot, ringSpeed, ringCon, amuletTrickery, armorElvenkind,
    > and shieldPreserv. My one slot that might be better is the
    > gauntletsPower+2 which allows 5 swings with a twoHandedSword.

    I think I saw one of those too. But those make your casting worse don't
    they. Is it worth it?

    > Hmm - I just realized I got rid of my swap twoHandedSword. I should
    > consider glovesFA and bootsStealth, but then I would have to free up
    > another home slot. Decisions, decisions ...

    (..)
    > GameTurn 997754 Armor [13,+90] Saving Throw Heroic

    if you kill M now, you easily beat my time... Are you waiting for speed
    boots or will you try with 21 speed?

    (..)
    > q) 24 Mithril Bolts of Holy Might (3d5) (+23,+10)
    > It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    > be harmed by acid or fire.
    (...)
    > v) 31 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (2d4) (+21,+24)
    > It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    > be harmed by acid or fire.
    > w) 39 Mithril Shots of Holy Might (2d4) (+23,+17)
    > It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot
    > be harmed by acid or fire.

    three holy mights? All my 5 winners combined found 2 holy might things,
    good sign I'd say :)

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    > Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> writes:
    >
    > > "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> writes:
    > >
    > >> Eddie Grove writes:
    > >>
    > >> [YACD: Kelumen at 4350']
    > >>
    > >> I've seen very few lanterns as speculative swap items in home inventory
    > >> in these character dumps. There are 2 -- Brightness and Seeing -- that
    > >> are fantastic, and one -- ESP -- that is good, and arguably fantastic.
    > >> Even the stat lanterns are good when it's a choice between 18/190 and
    > >> 18/200.
    > >> Are they really that rare that you generally only find one in the
    > >> entire game, or did you sell some along the way? Or are you squelching
    > >> them with acid balls?
    > >>
    > >> Maybe NPP ego lanterns should be acid-proof, for ID convenience...
    > >
    > > I only saw two so far in the game, both in the shop, one Brightness
    > > and one Stealth. No squelching, and I am pretty sure none got
    > > destroyed when I was around to notice.

    Same here, and I'd say I kill a lot of stuff :) Only found the res darkness
    laterns, and a +wisdom
    and all came from stores.

    > Oh - to put it in perspective - I have seen two ego slings in the game,
    > both in the dungeon, one accuracy, the other accuracy or power. I
    > kill fewer monsters than most, so perhaps it is foolish to draw any
    > conclusions about object scarcity from my game. I am not sure that
    > I have seen even one ?Resistances all game [besides the one I bought
    > as a store service], and certainly have not seen two. OTOH, I have
    > sold at least 6 ?Purifications.

    Now that's intresting.. had to buy my resistance book to, but I waited
    buying it,
    as I expected it to drop any moment.. When Keleks droped I decided it was
    time to
    buy it :) After that I found 2 more. On the slings: Those I had all came
    from stores.
    Maybe that's because slings are low level objects.. or do all objects have
    the same chance
    once they aren't ood?

    > Eddie

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:55:26 +0200, Jeda wrote:

    (snip)
    >On the slings: Those I had all came
    >from stores.
    >Maybe that's because slings are low level objects.. or do all objects have
    >the same chance
    >once they aren't ood?

    Hi Jeda,

    Well, yes and no. When an item is no longer OOD, it will always be
    included in the shortlist, but the number of competing items in the
    shortlist will increase - and the algorithm to create an item slightly
    favors "higher-level" objects.

    I'm not sure if Jeff has made much changes from the Vanilla code, but
    here's how item generation works in V 3.0.5.

    In short:
    * Determine object generation level (usually dungeon level for floor
    items or average of dungeon level and monster level for drops, but with
    some exceptions) - apply small chance to boost object generation level.
    * Create a list of all items not exceeding object generation level; take
    rarity in account by listing the same object more often or less often.
    * Pick either one (40%), two (50%) or three (10%) items and retain the
    one with the highest generation level.

    In case you want the full nitty-gritty details, here's a copy and paste
    from the 3.0.5 version of the spoiler file OBJ-LONG.SPO

    ON THE GENERATION OF OBJECTS
    ----------------------------

    Angband normally generates objects with a level between 0 and the
    maximum object generation level. The maximum object generation level
    is usually equal to the current dungeon level (the town being level 0),
    but there are exceptions:
    * Objects found in a chest are generated with a maximum object
    generation level equal to the "power" of the chest + 10.
    * Objects dropped by a monster that does not have a good or
    exceptional treasure drop are generated with a maximum object
    generation level equal to the avarage of the current dungeon level
    and the level of the monster.
    * Objects dropped by a monster that do have a good or exceptional
    treasure drop are generated with a maximum object generation level
    equal to the avarage of the current dungeon level and the level of
    the monster + 10.
    * Objects acquired by reading a Scroll of Acquirement or *Acquirement*
    are generated with a maximum object generation level equal to the
    current dungeon level + 10.

    For ordinary objects, there is a 1 in 1000 chance that the game will
    try to generate one of the special artifacts (i.e. the artifact rings,
    amulets, and lights). If an object of good or exceptional quality is
    generated, this chance is boosted to 1 in 10. See OBJ-GOOD.SPO for
    more details.

    If the maximum object generation level is not 0, there is a 5% chance
    that an object will be created "out of depth", that is, with a higher
    maximum level. Again, the actual object created may be of any level
    from 0 to this higher maximum.

    The out-of-depth generation level is obtained by applying the
    following formula:
    out-of-depth level = (max. object generation level * 128 / 1d128) + 1

    Hence, the out-of-depth level will always be at least 1 higher than
    the normal maximum object generation level while even at dungeon
    level 1, there is a (very small) chance to get an object with object
    level 100.

    Angband then creates a list of all objects that are not above the
    maximum object generation level (or the out-of-depth level if
    applicable). Chests are omitted from this list when you are opening a
    chest. If an item of good or exceptional quality is created (based on
    a monster's treasure drop or when reading a Scroll of Acquirement or
    *Acquirement*), the list is limited to weapons and armour without
    penalty (i.e. no broken dagger or rusty armour), arrows, bolts,
    spellbooks of level 40 and beyond, Ring of Speed, Amulet of Devotion,
    Amulet of the Magi, Amulet of Trickery, and Amulet of Weaponmastery.

    The rarity of different objects is reflected in the number of times
    each object is added to the list. Objects with a rarity of 1 are
    added 100 times to the list, other objects are added only
    (100 / rarity) times.

    NOTE: Some objects have a rarity that is not a perfect divider of 100.
    I suspect that this stems from changes to the object generation
    code not being reflected in the object list.

    From this lists, Angband picks one (40% of the time), two (50% of the
    time) or three (10% of the time) objects. The object with the highest
    object level is then created. Ordinarily, the game will generate only
    a single object at a given location. The exception to this rule is
    that spikes and ammunition are generated in groups of 6d7.

    For some of the objects below, two or more level/rarity pairs are
    given for an item. In this case the object can be generated as an
    object of any of the given levels (thus making the object more
    common), although there is no functional difference between objects
    generated at different levels.

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:55:26 +0200, Jeda wrote:

    (snip)
    > and the algorithm to create an item slightly favors "higher-level"
    objects.
    (snip)
    > * Pick either one (40%), two (50%) or three (10%) items and retain the
    > one with the highest generation level.

    thanks, that's exacly what I was looking for... but "slightly favors" is a
    bit underrating i'd say.
    With a very low level item like a sling (and also like the latern), only
    4/10 items have a chance
    to become sling in first place, as sling will always be the lower out of two
    or three.
    So the hard part with finding Sling of Buckland is the Sling, not the
    Buckland :)
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:49:43 +0200, Jeda wrote:

    >"Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:55:26 +0200, Jeda wrote:
    >>
    > (snip)
    >> and the algorithm to create an item slightly favors "higher-level"
    >objects.
    >(snip)
    >> * Pick either one (40%), two (50%) or three (10%) items and retain the
    >> one with the highest generation level.
    >>

    >thanks, that's exacly what I was looking for... but "slightly favors" is a
    >bit underrating i'd say.

    Hi Jeda,

    You're right. "favors" is a better description than "slightly favors".

    >With a very low level item like a sling (and also like the latern), only
    >4/10 items have a chance
    >to become sling in first place, as sling will always be the lower out of two
    >or three.
    >So the hard part with finding Sling of Buckland is the Sling, not the
    >Buckland :)

    Hmmm, actually, the odds of finding a sling should gradually go down
    when you descend from 50' to 1950', rise again upon entering 2000' (the
    "minimum" depth for Buckland slings), then continue to fall again. That
    is because the sling is defined twice WRT item generation: at level 1,
    with rarity 1 (the most common), and at level 40, with rarity 2 (half as
    common as rarity 1).

    Best, Hugo
    --
    Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
    There is a puff of smoke!

    (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Ralf Arens <ralfs_spam-sammlung@iei.tu-clausthal.de> writes:

    > Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com>:
    >
    > [...]
    >> It looks like fun to try to kill M with traps. There seems to be
    >> [from code-diving] a nasty dispel monster trap, and presumably I need
    >> to get to cLevel 50 to set it.
    >
    > I think I got it at clvl 48.

    Yup - got it at 48.

    But the rogue is such a wimp I'll wait for cLevel 50 before attempting
    Sauron. Heck, the last time I couldn't even take Ungoliant.

    I've switched to trying to melee a lot more, and it is taking time
    to learn my capabilities.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com>:

    [...]
    > It looks like fun to try to kill M with traps. There seems to be
    > [from code-diving] a nasty dispel monster trap, and presumably I need
    > to get to cLevel 50 to set it.

    I think I got it at clvl 48.

    Ralf
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:01:07 +0100, Harriet Bazley
    <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:

    >Well here was my final attempt. :-)

    snip

    >What do the question marks on the stat modifiers mean? They're
    >clearly not equippy chars, because I wasn't wielding scrolls in all
    >those slots....
    >

    > [NPPAngband 0.4.1 Character Dump]
    >
    > Name Kelumen Self RB CB EB Best
    snip

    > [Home Inventory Stat Modifiers, Sustains and Flags]
    >
    >(+/-)
    > ????,!??_"]| ????,!??_"]|
    > abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx
    > Str: ........................ Str: ...........s............
    > Int: ........................ Int: ........................
    > Wis: ........................ Wis: ........................
    > Dex: ........................ Dex: ........................
    > Con: ........................ Con: ........................
    > Chr: ........................ Chr: ........................
    snip
    > abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx
    > ????,!??_"]| ????,!??_"]|
    >
    > [Home Inventory]
    >
    >a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
    >b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks]
    >c) a Book of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
    >d) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {25% off}
    >e) a Grey Mushroom of Restoring
    >f) 3 Green Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
    >g) 3 Scrolls titled "nisso dermur" of Word of Recall
    >h) 18 Scrolls titled "rolwerg ankh" of Identify {@r1}
    >i) 2 Hemlock Staffs of Teleportation (5 charges)
    >j) a Brass Amulet of Regeneration
    > It speeds your regeneration.
    >k) a Hard Leather Cap of Regeneration [2,+4]
    > It speeds your regeneration.
    >l) a Long Sword (Defender) (2d5) (+8,+10) [+4] (+4 to stealth)
    > It increases your stealth by 4. It provides resistance to
    > acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It sustains your strength.
    > It makes you fall like a feather and speeds your regeneration.
    > It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to see
    > invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It
    > gives you one attack per turn.

    snip

    I believe these are the '?'s your are asking about -- books and
    scrolls in your home.

    Cam
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Harriet Bazley wrote:
    > It was just a matter of time anyway, I'd never been anything like
    > that deep before. The Sling was nice though. :-)

    Being at an unprecedented depth makes death inevitable? Since when? That
    definitely wasn't true in [V] 2.8.3 -- first character I had to 2050' won.

    > What do the question marks on the stat modifiers mean? They're
    > clearly not equippy chars, because I wasn't wielding scrolls in all
    > those slots....

    > [Character Equipment Stat Modifiers, Sustains and Flags]
    >
    > (+/-) + + +
    > |}==" (()] ] |}==" (()] ]
    > abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
    > Str: 1.2.1........ Str: ..s.s........
    > Int: ............. Int: .............
    > Wis: ............. Wis: .............
    > Dex: 1............ Dex: .............
    > Con: 1............ Con: ....s........
    > Chr: ............. Chr: .............
    > abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
    > Acid:........+.... Blind:.........+...
    > Elec:........+.... Confu:.............
    > Fire:........+.... Sound:.............
    > Cold:........+.... Shard:.............
    > Pois:............. Nexus:.............
    > Fear:....+........ Nethr:........+....
    > Lite:.........+... Chaos:.............
    > Dark:.........+... Disen:....+........
    > abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
    > S.Dig:............. Stea.:........+....
    > Feath:............. Sear.:.............
    > PLite:.........+... Infra:.............
    > Regen:............. Aggr.:.............
    > Telep:............. Speed:.............
    > Invis:+........+... Blows:.............
    > FrAct:+...+........ Shots:.............
    > HLife:............+ Might:.+...........
    > abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
    > |}==" (()] ] |}==" (()] ]

    I don't see any question marks? I see equippy chars, along with in the
    grids themselves, +s where resists/abilities are granted, numbers where
    stats are increased, and 's's where stats are sustained. That's it.

    > [Last Messages]
    >
    >>Draebor, the Imp defiles you!
    >>Draebor, the Imp misses you.
    >>Draebor, the Imp hits you.
    >>*** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
    >>Draebor, the Imp hits you.
    >>*** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
    >>Draebor, the Imp insults your mother!
    >>You have 2 charges remaining.
    >>*** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
    >>You are no longer poisoned.
    >>You failed to use the staff properly.
    >>The Sorcerer tries to cast a spell, but fails.
    >>You have 4 charges remaining.
    >>The Sorcerer invokes a storm of frost.
    >>You die.

    > [Character Inventory]
    > n) a Hemlock Staff of Teleportation (2 charges)
    > o) an Ironwood Staff of Earthquakes (4 charges)
    > p) a Sycamore Staff of Mass Identify (5 charges)

    Using a Staff of Earthquakes in desperation? :)

  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Harriet Bazley wrote:

    > What do the question marks on the stat modifiers mean? They're
    > clearly not equippy chars, because I wasn't wielding scrolls in all
    > those slots....

    > [Home Inventory Stat Modifiers, Sustains and Flags]
    >
    > (+/-)
    > ????,!??_"]| ????,!??_"]|
    > abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx

    > [Home Inventory]
    >
    > a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
    > b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks]
    > c) a Book of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
    > d) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {25% off}
    > e) a Grey Mushroom of Restoring
    > f) 3 Green Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
    > g) 3 Scrolls titled "nisso dermur" of Word of Recall
    > h) 18 Scrolls titled "rolwerg ankh" of Identify {@r1}
    > i) 2 Hemlock Staffs of Teleportation (5 charges)

    As you can see first four "?":s are books, then mushroom of restoring
    "," then potions of CCW "!" and then scrolls of WoR and ID "?" etc..

    Those are _home_ inventory items, not items carried or equiped.

    Timo Pietilä

Games Video Games