Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Aspect Ratio Recommendation

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 4, 2012 4:17:20 PM

I want to buy a monitor that has a 16:10 display aspect ratio.I know that 16:9 is the new standard but I really dislike it.
I'm using my PC especially for gaming, so I was wondering for how long the game developers would support it in their upcoming games. Also I'm not bothered by those black borders but if the image would be stretched that would really suck.
So I would like to hear your opinions and recommendations about this.

Here is the monitor that I want to buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-BL2201M-22-inch-1680x1050-...

In my country there aren't too much choices left for this aspect ratio. Found only 3 or 4.
a c 78 C Monitor
June 4, 2012 4:30:04 PM

You only found 3 or 4? You might try Google Shopping UK, I see plenty of 16:10 monitors listed there. Keep in mind that 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 are also 16:10 aspect ratio. Even if games don't let you select 16:10 resolutions, there's a good chance the video card or monitor will have settings to choose between black bars and stretching.
June 4, 2012 4:38:35 PM

Oops I made a mistake, sorry :whistle:  . In fact I found 3 or 4 LED-s with a 1680x1050 resolution. I don't want a bigger resolution cuz it will drop my frame rate in games. And I'm not from UK. :hello: 
Related resources
a c 78 C Monitor
June 4, 2012 4:43:33 PM

If you're not from the UK, why did you provide a link to Amazon UK for the monitor? I think there is Google shopping for other countries as well (are you willing to specify what country you are from?), and you might be able to order a monitor from nearby countries. Why do you insist on an LED backlight, though?
June 4, 2012 4:56:45 PM

Well , I provided a link to Amazon UK, cuz this is a site from UK so I doubt that somebody would understand my native language. Most of you probably never heard of my country even if it's an European country.

And I insist on a backlight LED cuz from what I heard the image quality is better and the power consumption is lower than on a LCD monitor. I could be wrong though. I'm not an expert. ;) 
a c 78 C Monitor
June 4, 2012 5:54:57 PM

LED backlight usually has lower power consumption, but it doesn't improve the image quality. In fact, because most LED backlights are actually blue LEDs with yellow phosphor, they actually give worse color quality, though the difference is probably insignificant unless you're a graphics professional.

If you're somewhere in Europe, even a lesser known or disputed territory, there's a good chance shopping sites in other European countries will ship to you. At prad.de, I find 36 LED-backlit 1680x1050 monitors, ranging in price from 130,90 € to 238,45 € (there are also a couple that are over 600 €, but I can't make much sense of why they're so much more expensive)
June 4, 2012 7:01:18 PM

MauveCloud said:
LED backlight usually has lower power consumption, but it doesn't improve the image quality. In fact, because most LED backlights are actually blue LEDs with yellow phosphor, they actually give worse color quality, though the difference is probably insignificant unless you're a graphics professional.

If you're somewhere in Europe, even a lesser known or disputed territory, there's a good chance shopping sites in other European countries will ship to you. At prad.de, I find 36 LED-backlit 1680x1050 monitors, ranging in price from 130,90 € to 238,45 € (there are also a couple that are over 600 €, but I can't make much sense of why they're so much more expensive)

First I'm not a graphics professional, secondly what you said doesn't make much sense.From what I know the LED technology is one of the latest technologies.So why would they develop this technology when the previous is better? :pfff: 
a c 78 C Monitor
June 4, 2012 7:41:37 PM

It's better in some ways: lower power consumption, thinner monitors, and no mercury; However, the tradeoff is a slight reduction in image quality (whoever said LEDs gave better image quality was either mistaken, talking about RGB LED backlighting, or talking about OLED displays). LED technology in general has been around for many years, though using it as a backlight for LCD monitors seems to be newer.
!