[NPP, Comp] Player ghosts: face the challenge or flee?

Hi,

Kelumen, the Skeleton asks 'Can ye face the best of those who came
before?'

Sure I can - but do I want to? I've fought many players ghosts in NPP
already; none of them has ever killed me.

But this ah heck might prove to be a nuisance. He can create traps, AND
he can steal (both gold and objects) - all a royal pain. He can also
sling leaden pellets - the exact cause of death of one of my former
Kelumen's (boy, do those pellets HURT - ouch!)

Anyway, what I'd like to know - is there any punishment or other adverse
effect if I refuse to face this challenge from the grave?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Anyway, what I'd like to know - is there any punishment or other adverse
> effect if I refuse to face this challenge from the grave?

Not that I am aware of. You just don't get the xp or loot he might have
dropped. And, of course, like any unkilled unique he might turn up
again. And again ... and again ... :)

"Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Kelumen, the Skeleton asks 'Can ye face the best of those who came
> before?'
>
> Sure I can - but do I want to? I've fought many players ghosts in NPP
> already; none of them has ever killed me.
>
> But this ah heck might prove to be a nuisance. He can create traps, AND
> he can steal (both gold and objects) - all a royal pain. He can also
> sling leaden pellets - the exact cause of death of one of my former
> Kelumen's (boy, do those pellets HURT - ouch!)

In 0.4.1 I did change it so armor reduces the damage from arrow, shot, bolt,
and boulder attacks.

> Anyway, what I'd like to know - is there any punishment or other adverse
> effect if I refuse to face this challenge from the grave?

None whatsoever. If and when I balance it right the object drop would be
the temptation.

-Jeff

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:57:36 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
<nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

>"Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Kelumen, the Skeleton asks 'Can ye face the best of those who came
>> before?'
>>
>> Sure I can - but do I want to? I've fought many players ghosts in NPP
>> already; none of them has ever killed me.
>>
>> But this ah heck might prove to be a nuisance. He can create traps, AND
>> he can steal (both gold and objects) - all a royal pain. He can also
>> sling leaden pellets - the exact cause of death of one of my former
>> Kelumen's (boy, do those pellets HURT - ouch!)
>
>In 0.4.1 I did change it so armor reduces the damage from arrow, shot, bolt,
>and boulder attacks.

Hi Jeff,

Yeah, I noted. Great! When playing previous versions of NPP, I often
pondered suggesting something like this - after all, my arrows, bolts,
and shots miss from time to time, why wouldn't theirs!

But I still hate them leaden pellets. They've cost me, what?, two?
three? maybe even four? I've lost count - anyway, they've cost me way
too much comp attempts. How much damage DO these &^%!(&^%$ pellets deal?

>> Anyway, what I'd like to know - is there any punishment or other adverse
>> effect if I refuse to face this challenge from the grave?
>>
>None whatsoever. If and when I balance it right the object drop would be
>the temptation.

Thanks.

Anyway, the object drop DID tempt me. So I had to restart. And restart
again. And yet another time. <sigh>

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I took Timo's advice and steered well clear of player ghosts. Charles
Teague has recently developed some sort of obsession with my current
Kelumen - I've been challenged to a deathmatch by Charles Teague the
Skeleton, told I'm a coward by Charles Teague the Wight, invited to
come out and fight by Charles Teague the Wraith, and I recently had to
dodge Charles Teague the Phantom on that GV level. Perhaps it doesn't
move on to the next player ghost until you've killed the current one

CC

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I took Timo's advice and steered well clear of player ghosts. Charles
> Teague has recently developed some sort of obsession with my current
> Kelumen - I've been challenged to a deathmatch by Charles Teague the
> Skeleton, told I'm a coward by Charles Teague the Wight, invited to
> come out and fight by Charles Teague the Wraith, and I recently had to
> dodge Charles Teague the Phantom on that GV level. Perhaps it doesn't
> move on to the next player ghost until you've killed the current one

It is randomly selected. Just the same set of RNG numbers that has you fail
to cast a spell with a 97% failure rate 4 times in a row.

-Jeff

On 2005-04-12 23:44:42, "Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

> "magnate" wrote in message
> > I took Timo's advice and steered well clear of player ghosts. Charles
> > Teague has recently developed some sort of obsession with my current
> > Kelumen - I've been challenged to a deathmatch by Charles Teague the
> > Skeleton, told I'm a coward by Charles Teague the Wight, invited to
> > come out and fight by Charles Teague the Wraith, and I recently had to
> > dodge Charles Teague the Phantom on that GV level. Perhaps it doesn't
> > move on to the next player ghost until you've killed the current one
> >
> It is randomly selected. Just the same set of RNG numbers that has you fail
> to cast a spell with a 97% failure rate 4 times in a row.
>
> -Jeff

I presume you mean 3% failure rate - otherwise it would perhaps be expected ;-)

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)