Sign in with
Your question

2 monitors 2 Choose from ips or 120hz

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 5, 2012 1:01:16 AM

hi, i have just gotten the last items to build my new pc system. i just need the monitor.
i have 2 of them in mind. please help me decide. and i have just a few conserns.

1. if i get ips - would it slow down or water down the HD quality in playing videos or blu-ray on my pc ?
2. would this new ips monitor play almost as well as a 120hz monitor.
3. its a 27" i wanted, would 27" make games more pixelated ? and videos and pictures too?
i did get the Ati 7970 OC video card.
4. any down side on the ips when playing games like BF3, MW3 , and even C&C Generals, Red Alert, just a few of my favs.

Monitor #1 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor #2 - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A950D-27-Inch-Class-Mo...

Thank you , Thank You :hello: 
June 5, 2012 1:01:51 AM

the price on them i dont mind
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
June 5, 2012 2:15:43 AM

Here's recent thread that may answer some questions you may not have thought about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64490-3-heavy-gamer-1...

With regards to your questions...

1. IPS panel will generally be better because of better color reproduction especially if it is a H-IPS or S-IPS panel. Since movies and TV programs are limited to 24FPS and 30FPS a 60Hz monitor will be fine. TN panels have limited viewing angles which tends to dramatically cause color shifts as shown in the link above. TN panels also tend to have glossy finishes as opposed to matte finish. Glossy finishes tends to make colors "pop" and look over-saturated, but some people like this look. They are also highly reflective like a mirror.

2. That depends on if your graphic card is powerful enough to push really high frame rates. For me a IPS panel monitor is fine, I don't particularly need a monitor capable of displaying 80+FPS in order for a fast action game to be enjoyable.

3. Depends on the resolution. A 27" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution can generally look pixelated than a 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution because the pixels will be larger and so will the spacing be between each pixel. However, considering that the vast majority of HDTVs have 1920x1080 resolution and are larger than 27" the pixelation issue should be relatively minor. But the larger the HDTV is the further away people tend to sit from it, thus reducing the chance of seeing pixelation.

4. The downside to IPS panels other than the fact that they are stuck at 60Hz is that they tend to have higher response times than TN panels. H-IPS and S-IPS panels are usually quoted at 6ms while e-IPS panels are generally 8ms. TN panels are as fast as 1ms, but many reviews recommend switching it to 2ms because of inverse ghosting issues due to over accelerated response times.

Generally speaking the lower the response time the less chances of ghosting and pixelation. However, this is not an exact science since there is no standardized response time testing method that all LCD panel manufacturers follow. In general though they measure the fastest time it takes for a pixel to change from one shade to another, all other measured response times are thrown out with the trash. Therefore, you may have one monitor who's fastest response time is 2ms, but the slowest is 250ms, while another monitor may have a fastest response time of 5ms, but the slowest is only 200ms.

Generally speaking anything up to 8ms response time should fine for most gamers, others have stated 12ms is still good. It's a matter of opinion. So... the lower the better, but the quoted response time is not entirely truthful.
m
l
!