Triple boot

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Hi all,

Here is my question. I currently have win98SE installed on my PC (AMD 1400, 256Mb RAM) and I want to install winXP and RedHat 7.2. However, I'm not sure which one to install first because of the boot loaders. I heard that winXP has is own boot loader, will it conflict with GRUB??? I already install RedHat once (for about 3 weeks before that my hard drive literally crashed) so I know how to install it, but never install winXP.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
An XP install is as easy as a win98 install; perhaps easier.

You can only have one boot loader on your computer, and I'd suggest either grub or lilo. In that case, install xp first, and then linux.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I can only say from experience that 98SE doesn't like sharing the MBR with either XP nor LINUX although I have 98SE and LINUX running. Just so you know.

VAGABOND

<font color=blue> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!</font color=blue>

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
This isn't all the time but when I boot Linux and run the OS for a while and then start up windows afterwards, sometimes I'll have to do either a restart or a safemode boot. I can't explain it. Linux has no problems whatsoever. It'll even ask me if I want to run windows.

Like silverpig said, run the windows installations first and then linux. Silverpig can correct me but I believe the reason for this is the fact that linux during the installation sets its own partition and swap file without destroying windows. I've never done it the other ways so I can't say why.

<font color=blue> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vagabond on 12/07/02 03:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HardDrake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
First, you have to partioned your harddrive for three.
the first partion, installed with win98. the second or third partion you <b>MUST</b> install WinXP and the last partion installed with linux.
actually there are two boot loader on your computer.
<b>GRUB</b> (contains linux and NT loader) if you choose NT you will takken into the 2nd boot loader made by WinXP.
The boot loader contains Win98 and WinXP.
So you can't enter to Win98 from GRUB (LILO)
hope that can help.

<font color=blue>.: CREATE | INNOVATE | FACINATE :. </font color=blue>