[Steamband] YACD: British Engineer winner

The link to oook:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=4191

This is the first-and-only Steam character I've run (although given that
he's Ewan IV, he's not the first clone). Ewans I-III all died *very*
rapidly to poison from envies or trogs, before I learned to be more
careful on that particular resistance.

The early game I think is great. Difficult, interesting. I like the
quest system encouraging fairly rapid ascent. I like the limits on useful
items to be found. I like the choices to be made in skills (although I
hate not knowing what the skills *do* in most cases). All good. Of my
endgame equipment:

a) a Lead-Filled Mace (Holy) (3d4|4) (+18,+21) [+4] <+7>
b) The 10 Gauge Shotgun of the Marquis de la Tour (x4) (+20,+20) <+5, +2>
c) The Ring of Field Generation <+6, +20>
d) The Ring of Dr. Materialismus <+8, +5>
e) a Bronze Amulet of *Regeneration*
f) The Pocket Lantern of Sherlock Holmes [4] <+8, +4>
g) The Robe of Emma the Djinn Princess [2,+23] <+6, +2, +1>
h) The Shadow Cloak of Dracula [6,+30] <+20, +14> {cursed}
i) The Bull's Tail of the Pharoahs (+5,+10) [5,+40] <+12, +5, +1>
j) The Mask 'Le Loup Blanc' [0,+12] <+12, +5, +1>
k) a Set of Work Gloves (Smoldering) [4,+13] <+4>
l) The Pair of Buttoned Boots of Hans Bjelke [5,+20] <+10, +5, +1>

almost nothing was found early on (i.e. below dungeon level ~20) with the
exception of the Bull's tail. I was running around with Edison's lamp,
the eye of Ra, and Sherlock's jacket (heavy!) for a long time. Oh, I
think that the amulet was also found at maybe dlvl 25. The game got very
fast with that (almost invulnerable) and stupidly fast after I found
Dracula's cloak (completely invulnerable). Finding a space-flux inhibitor
allowed me to wear the field generation ring, so that my speed for the
later game stages was +63.

Which is the biggest complaint/suggestion, really: the middle- and endgame
need to be a lot harder. I found a GV at dlvl ~30, clvl ~30, which
contained King Kong, Moriarty, Moran, the Ripper, and a bunch of others
(as well as that annoying iron weed!), and it was not difficult. It felt
as though it should have been. I never fired a gun, relying almost
entirely on the chassis and carbine (mostly forward cannon, with carbine
choices only for missile-resistant enemy). Very late game I got bored and
simply started using the mace while holding down direction keys; for pits,
once I had the *regen* amulet, I simply sat in the doorway holding down
'n'; to keep firing forward cannon. So I think that the regen should
maybe prevent or attenuate loss of mana/hp to equipment draining, but the
rate of resupply for other causes need to be reduced; and I think that the
monsters need to be a lot harder. [Also, am I right in thinking that
neither Moreau nor Fu has a ranged attack? How can they ever be dangerous?]

Steamware I also liked, btw, although the research times for the gamma
level reflexes and furnace are silly :). This meant that money was always
relevant, a pleasant change from other variants. I probably finished the
game a lot slower than I could have done just because I was curious about
what the steam stuff would do, and so spent time killing things while
waiting :).

Despite my eventual move to bored melee, it was clear that I could have
won without ever actually hitting something *or* firing a shot, using
enigmatic devices. Which I liked. And as I noted, I liked the sparse
artifacts - as can be seen, I never found artifact gloves or melee
weaponry, and several other pieces were the only finds in their category.

Anyway, enough waffle. Congrats on a unique variant with great appeal.
Just please, make it a lot harder after the early game.

valis

In article <d3e1v6$ua$1@news.wss.yale.edu>,
Ewan McNay <Ewan.McNay@yale.edu> wrote:

> Anyway, enough waffle. Congrats on a unique variant with great appeal.
> Just please, make it a lot harder after the early game.

Thank you, and no worries.
-campbell