Windows 7 on multiple PC's???

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

I am in the process of building an awesome gaming computer on a tight budget. Anyway, I budgeted the build really well, but then I realised I've been a complete mug and forgotten to include money for the OS. This mistake means that I now have to use the reserve money I had left over to try and buy Windows :/.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my brother will also be getting a computer later in the year, and he too will need an OS. I am just wondering if one £60/$100 version of Win 7 can be run legitimately on two computers? And if not, is this the same for Windows 8? If you can I will split the money with him and all is good :).

If the answer is no, is there a multi-computer version you can buy for roughly £80/$135? Thanks for any help in advance :).

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
In a nutshell. no. The Key provided to you once installed on a PC is tied to that key. Once connected to the internet, it is recorded thus if you install and activate, then your friend attempts the same on his computer, he would get an error stating that the key belongs to someone else.

You will be best to purchase 2 OEM copies or shell out big bucks for the Retail version.

With the OEM copy, you can only use it once on the same computer whereas with the Retail version you have a number of uses for the one computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
yes windows 7 lets you run up to 3 computers i believe still. or you can go non legit activated copies of oem ultimate which takes 2 seconds to make and activate and windows update still works. not saying you should go that route but its very easy to do for now till you get a legit license key
There are versions of Windows 7(Family Pack) that are able to be installed on 3 systems (based on Home Premium). However, it is very unlikely that you will find this version anywhere now.

However, the rest of this advise is poor (at best).

Tom's Forums do not support any form of software piracy and this advice falls into that category.

yes windows 7 lets you run up to 3 computers i believe but it will say its invalid after you try to use it 3 times atleast it did for me when i used my disk that came with my dads laptop a while back . or you can go non legit activated copies of oem ultimate which takes 2 seconds to make and activate and windows update still works. not saying you should go that route but its very easy to do for now till you get a legit license key

This information is wrong, and the suggestions made are completely illegal. I am notifying the mods about it.

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Ok, so Win 7 HP will not work on multiple computers unless you buy the family pack? Or is there a way to buy one disk and then legally purchase additional licenses from the Microsoft website? And also, does Win 8 offer any sort of legitimate multiple-computer version? I'm a bit lost if I'm honest :??:.

Also 06yfz450ridr, I definitely said a LEGITIMATE solution! I don't understand why you would even post that response when Microsoft have spent a couple of decades producing a really premium OS that is actually relatively cheap to buy. If you can't pay for it, get a LEGALLY free OS like Linux (I think Linux is free, if it's not then my bad, I've never used it before).

Actually, in everyone's opinion, how is Linux compared to Win 7? Is it free, and is it a much less refined OS? I have been used to Windows all my life, so I expect that Linux would be a real down-grade from what I'm used to? I really appreciate the help (well, from most people :D).

daship

Distinguished
Windows 7 retail will activate 10 times, It will do it on 1 PC 10x or 10 PCs 1x. I know this from tons of experience.

OEM will be tied to a motherboard on the first PC.

If I were you I would buy a technet subscription. Then you get keys for all microsofts products, including Win 8 and office editions.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't people been skirting Windows 7 licenses on the cheap by purchasing Windows Home Server 2011? The OSes are almost identical, minus the few server components in WHS2K11 which can easily be disabled or ignored. The drivers work interchangeably between Win7 and WHS2K11.

I have a WHS2K11 box set up for media share at my house with he same specs as another box in my house and the server suffers no loss in performance. The box serves as a media server as well a a gaming-on-the-big-screen system. It's super cheap on Amazon, roughly £40:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-software-intended-builders/dp/B0050TVAWS/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357318596&sr=8-1-spell

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

I think (I hope) they are reporting 06yfz450ridr for his answer and not me for asking a simple question :(.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The thread is not the issue, rather the advice given by 06yfz450ridr violates forum rules and is simply illegal.

That being said, Havoc2510 did ask a legitimate question.

Regarding using Linux, it is indeed free and will meet the needs of many users. Without getting into too much detail, the single greatest area where Linux "lacks" is in gaming. However, Steam is now available for Linux. I would suggest Havoc2510 look at Ubuntu Linux (see below):

http://www.ubuntu.com/

It is widely used and supported.

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

That sounds like good news :). So either I can buy the retail version, and this will work on both PC's with separate licenses, or I can just get the cheaper OEM version and then my brother can buy his own OEM when he wants his PC?

Also, what is this Technet subscription? Because I will likely need to buy Windows Office at some point in the future for my schoolwork, and this may be a better way to go. Is this website 100% legit?

Actually, I have just had another thought. Do Microsoft offer student discounts on software like the Windows OS or Office? Thanks for the help so far :).

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Well, I'ld opt for Linux/ (Debian) if I was you. I have a dual boot W7 and Debian machine but I hardly use w7 anymore. You have Steam on Linux but you can also install Wine, which allows you to run Windows (32 + 64 bit) applications. Not everything works (that's why I still have w7 on there) but the programms I use most work and quite well, if I may add. Throw in eye candy (which puts Aero to shame) with Debian and you have one serious good looking OS. And if you don't like it you can always opt to go back to boring old W7.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
LOL, so many conflicting opions/comments.

For sake of simplicity....

Windows 7 EULA:

1. OVERVIEW .
a. Software. The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not
include Windows Live services. Windows Live is a service available from Microsoft under a
separate agreement.
b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a
physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A
hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That
computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed
computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the
software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the
software at a time.

The following only applies to the retail version:
17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install
it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may
not do so to share this license between computers.

For businesses - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/genuine/business

For students - http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/terms.aspx

Technet - i dont have the details...

I would recommend going the OEM version path for savings.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

if you have a retail version of windows xp,vista etc

then you can buy the upgrade edition cheap

for students its even cheaper

when i was a student at college i picked up win7 professional x64 for £50