What platform should I go??!

G

Hello: I have an Soyo 6vba 133 (not the via 133a, just the 133) and a p3-500. I was thinking of changing to a Duron 700 (Of course that I will O/C this thing) and a Asus A7V. It is worth changing to that system??, I will obtain more than 40% in preformance???
also ; I have seen and heard a lot of reports that said that the athlon family (duron included), and their chipset (amd 750, 760 kt133..etc.) are very inestable!!, look, I have a memory called Simple tech. (128 in ram), and I want that this ram works in my sistem! so I don`t know what to do... all my sistems were intel based (pentium and pentium -3)and I don`t want to change to a based system that is inestable (in win, in all appz in games). Do I need another power supply (I have one 250w.)??, please, Help me!!!

Evey Duron 700+ can get easely to 1ghz??

Why some power suppy have "atx 2.01"???

please, I need to choose quikly if I change or not from p3 to the duron!

thanks a lot!!

G

I wouldn't bother doing a processor and motherboard upgrade that minor. You won't get a 40% performance increase with the Duron run to spec. Overclocked it's a different matter of course. By unestable I assume you mean unstable. I run a Duron at home and haven't had any crashes as a result of processor malfunction except for when I overclocked it too much. *nix has never crashed on me period :)

I think getting some more RAM would give you a nice power boost for a lot less money. Get some PC133 memory that's compatible with most motherboards so that when you upgrade in the future you can take it with you.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
A 250W power supply will sufice, but you might wanto to consider getting a 300W or even 350W power supply for peak performance.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd recommend at least 300w as a rule of thumb for AMD processors.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I agree with Arrow, there is no such thing as too much power

G

But I heard that the Asus A7V was very stable, even with O/C thats why I am thinking of buying this motherboard. Please, check me if I am rong??, also, every duron (700+) can get easely to 1ghz, and if it is, it is worth the change from my system to a duron based system???

Thanks

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a CUSL2 by asus, they are great for overclocking. as far as CPU speeds. Pentium III 667EB has a great price ATM and can hit a FSB of 149 or so. The 700~850E are great for overclocking to 1Ghz and above.

You can use your existing RAM. You will pay extra for that "AMD Approved" power supply negating any saving from the CPU price diff.

People will argue over good PSU cost. $40~$80 bucks is normal so figure $60 bucks for PSU if you purchase AMD.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Duron 600@950 on an A7V with WinMe is exteremely stable.
No problems here.
I even put on the latest bios and VIA drivers and mess around in the bios (settings people say they have trouble with) and I can't even make it unstable on purpose.
Its indestructible.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Does everyone of your posts have to include some negative comment about AMD? I seems you judge a processor by its power supply.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yup, its been out a while, but that also means that people have had a longer time to work out the bugs and find solutions to any possible problems. And time enough for 5 or more bios revisions.

I never get anything the day it comes out. I let other people test it and come up with problem reports so that I know what to watch out for and where find fixes. Maybe that's why I haven't had any problems with my A7V.

Just because its 6 months old doesn't mean its bad.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

G

My next upgrade is going to be a dual palomino system(whatever speed that gives most bang for buck), hopefully with the mamba or scimitar northbridge(8mb level 3 cache), RAID capable MOBO and sweet DDR Dram (@least 256 mb pref. 512mb). All running on win 2000. I would go with linux but it hasn't matured enough for my liking maybe next kernal upgrade. I believe the ETA on those parts is june/july 2001.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why not just put in a faster CPU? Is your bus speed manually adjustable through jumpers or bios? A 700 will go 933 at 133 bus and you would not have to touch any other part of the system or reload software, unless your memory can't handle it.

Suicide is painless...........