IRQL Not Less or Equal

Grennir

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hi all.
I got a new computer running win 7 64 bit home premium a couple weeks ago, and it ran fine initially. However, starting a few days ago, I've started getting random BSODs whilst in game, generally after about 1 hour. The error message is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", and it all says something about arusb.sys. Can anyone help?

AGTDenton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Initially it sounds like a cooling problem or a failing disk.

What brand/model of PC is it?
What are its specs?

Do BSOD's appear whilst using say a few browsers or office applications?
Or do BSOD's appear if you leave the computer alone for a few hours?

Just some general ideas:
Check the Windows Event Viewer for any obvious signs of failure.

Do a Read Only disk check from command prompt:
CHKDSK C:
If the read only disk check reports errors or more than 0KB in bad sectors then backup important data as a full disk check would be advisable, again from command prompt:
CHKDSK C: /F /R
Press Y when prompted and reboot for a full disk check.

Consider upgrading your drivers, especially your Graphics Driver.
If you are advanced enough then I would check the motherboard manufacturer for release notes on new BIOS's to see if they give some clues.

Grennir

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Its a custom built pc from computerplanet. 16 gig ram, 2 tb hard drive, 2gb gtx 650ti graphics card. Tops out at 65 degrees with three case fans. The BSODS don't appear after being left alone or whilst using anything other than intensive applications. I've updated all drivers, and CHKDSK notes no problems. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL usually means memory or driver error, and since you say you get the message about arusb.sys every time, it looks to be driver (network) related.

A few things you can try, first, update the network drivers, second check that your memory is set to specification in BIOS and third, run memtest (or similar) to test that you have fully functional memory modules.