[Pos] The RNG has doomed me

Decided to play around with a regular half-troll rogue. His first 3
quest rewards:

Cash
Boots of Speed +9
Beaked Axe of Westernesse (+6,+7) (+2)

This with the rogue at clvl13 and dlvl6.

I'm doomed.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
quest.

CC

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

magnate wrote:
> Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
> overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
> quest.

Actually I ought to qualify that. If the BoS is a one-in-a-million
reward for that quest, fair enough. If it's more common than that, then
it is a bit generous.

I don't think *band lends itself to quests very well, since there are
so few variations possible ("kill x of this monster", "kill this
unique", "find this item" - anyone implemented that?). It's difficult
to balance the rewards because all you know is clev and dlev. Do any
variants have class- or race-specific rewards?

Then there's Timo's point that the quest monsters themselves give extra
xp and loot.

Grumble grumble. Don't mind me. I still take quests in variants which
have them.

CC

On 2005-04-12 04:12:13, Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:

> Decided to play around with a regular half-troll rogue. His first 3
> quest rewards:
>
> Cash
> Boots of Speed +9
> Beaked Axe of Westernesse (+6,+7) (+2)
>
> This with the rogue at clvl13 and dlvl6.
>
> I'm doomed.

On the other hand of course, this could be the RNG showing sympathy for your
somewhat interesting race/class combo ... then again maybe not

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)

topazg wrote:
> On 2005-04-12 04:12:13, Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Decided to play around with a regular half-troll rogue. His first 3
>>quest rewards:
>>
>>Cash
>>Boots of Speed +9
>>Beaked Axe of Westernesse (+6,+7) (+2)
>>
>>This with the rogue at clvl13 and dlvl6.
>>
>>I'm doomed.
>>

> On the other hand of course, this could be the RNG showing sympathy for your
> somewhat interesting race/class combo ... then again maybe not

Actually, so far this character is humming right along. Took the money
from the first quest reward and bought a +1,+5 longbow, toss in the
detection spells from the rogue's limited availability, and mix it with
the STR and CON of a Half-Troll and you have one sturdy stealthy
backstabbing character :)

Now if only someone could explain to me how traps work..

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

topazg wrote:
> On 2005-04-12 10:57:30, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
> > overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
> > quest.

> Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)

Eh? Google tells me the subject is "The RNG has doomed me" ...

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

CC

On 2005-04-12 10:57:30, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
> overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
> quest.
>
> CC

Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)

I have never really done the quests in Posband before - time I started I think!

--

topazg wrote:
> On 2005-04-12 10:57:30, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
>>overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
>>quest.
>>
>>CC
>>

> Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)
>
> I have never really done the quests in Posband before - time I started I think!

Now that you've said that, you are going to get a Dagger of Slay Animal
+1,+1 as your next 138 quest rewards :p

On 2005-04-12 15:15:05, Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:

> topazg wrote:
> > On 2005-04-12 10:57:30, "magnate" wrote:
> >

> >>Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
> >>overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
> >>quest.
> >>
> >>CC
> >>

> > Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)
> >
> > I have never really done the quests in Posband before - time I started I think!
> >

> Now that you've said that, you are going to get a Dagger of Slay Animal
> +1,+1 as your next 138 quest rewards :p

I don't know, could be something like leather scale mail of Elvenkind with RConf
as I play Giants at the moment :)

--

topazg wrote:
> Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)

The subject line being "Re: The RNG has doomed me". Exactly how do you
infer Posband from this? All *bands have an RNG, and all these RNGs doom
players from time to time. ;)

On 2005-04-12 18:48:14, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> topazg wrote:
> > On 2005-04-12 10:57:30, "magnate" wrote:
>
> > > Which variant is this? BoS+9 as a quest reward before 2000' is
> > > overgenerous. The axe is just about ok for a lucky reward for a 3rd
> > > quest.
>
> > Looking at the subject line, I would guess Posband :)
>
> Eh? Google tells me the subject is "The RNG has doomed me" ...
>
> Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.
>
> CC

My apologies, I am using the angband.oook.cz portal and it shows up as:

"[Pos] The RNG has doomed me"

I assumed it would be the same for everyone!

topazg wrote:
> My apologies, I am using the angband.oook.cz portal and it shows up as:
>
> "[Pos] The RNG has doomed me"
>
> I assumed it would be the same for everyone!

It's not, but it should be. The subject and content of a post aren't
supposed to vary based on what newsserver someone is using. The oook
portal may be broken, or may be buggy or misdesigned in a way that
violates RFCs.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:14:19 -0400, Polarhound wrote:

(snip)
>Now if only someone could explain to me how traps work..

Hi Polarhound,

Since Pos is built on NPP's code base, you might find your answers in
this recent post by Jeff Greene:

Subject: NPP - rogue abilities spoiler by request

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:47:26 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>topazg wrote:
>> My apologies, I am using the angband.oook.cz portal and it shows up as:
>>
>> "[Pos] The RNG has doomed me"
>>
>> I assumed it would be the same for everyone!
>
>It's not, but it should be. The subject and content of a post aren't
>supposed to vary based on what newsserver someone is using. The oook
>portal may be broken, or may be buggy or misdesigned in a way that
>violates RFCs.

Hi Neo,

Actually, it's the Google portal that is broken.

The first post in this thread has [Pos] in front of the subject. The
subthread with a reply from topazg, a reply to that from Polarhound and
my reply to Polarhound include [Pos] as well. But the larger subthread
that started from magnate's first post in this thread is without [Pos];
on magnate's reply the [Pos] is replaced instead of prefixed by Re: (and
all replies that follow are of course without [Pos] as well).

It is already known that Google swallows variant prefixes when posting
replies; we now found that it even hides them from posts that have them
posted properly. I checked it - when I open the original message of this
thread in Google, the subject doesn't include [Pos]:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.angband/msg/f24ffc32a5add8f6
Yet, when I click "Show options" / "Show original", I can easily verify
that the [Pos] prefix WAS there, but is suppressed by Google groups.

It becomes even funnier if you use Google's thread view:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.angband/browse_frm/thread/2d946c34eea7cd60/f24ffc32a5add8f6#f24ffc32a5add8f6
Now, the thread pane on the left does include the [Pos] prefix, but the
main message pane on the right still doesn't!!

<sigh>

Best, Hugo
--

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> It is already known that Google swallows variant prefixes when posting
> replies; we now found that it even hides them from posts that have them
> posted properly.

The other person who didn't see it in the subject of that post might
have been reading via google groups, but I sure as hell am not. I'm
using a normal newsreader and a normal newsserver and I only saw "Re:
The RNG has doomed me" on the post being discussed. Any posts that had
had [POS] in the subject have vanished long since from being read
several days ago.

On 2005-04-13 01:38:47, Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> > It is already known that Google swallows variant prefixes when posting
> > replies; we now found that it even hides them from posts that have them
> > posted properly.
>
> The other person who didn't see it in the subject of that post might
> have been reading via google groups, but I sure as hell am not. I'm
> using a normal newsreader and a normal newsserver and I only saw "Re:
> The RNG has doomed me" on the post being discussed. Any posts that had
> had [POS] in the subject have vanished long since from being read
> several days ago.

You may not, but if magnate used google groups and the [pos] got removed, then
it would explain why you never saw it and why I assumed everyone had.

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)

I can only guess but maybe some News services read the [xxx] as a Formatting
command and attempt to do the pos /pos operation on the, or just strip the
command out.

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> unique", "find this item" - anyone implemented that?). It's difficult
> to balance the rewards because all you know is clev and dlev. Do any
> variants have class- or race-specific rewards?

NPP and I would assume by extension POS will style rewards to the char. As
a Mage I never see cleric dungeon books as rewards, while as a Cleric I
never see mage books.
Also to the best I can recall I have never gotten an unuseable reward, and
it seems that often a reward will try to fill in a weak slot, my Cleric at
cl28 had a basic Cloak +5, with ego level items it all other armor slots and
got a Cloak reward. Not sure if it was intentional, but such has happened
enough times to make me think there is a chance of it happening.

William Klett wrote:
> NPP and I would assume by extension POS will style rewards to the char. As
> a Mage I never see cleric dungeon books as rewards, while as a Cleric I
> never see mage books.
> Also to the best I can recall I have never gotten an unuseable reward, and
> it seems that often a reward will try to fill in a weak slot, my Cleric at
> cl28 had a basic Cloak +5, with ego level items it all other armor slots and
> got a Cloak reward. Not sure if it was intentional, but such has happened
> enough times to make me think there is a chance of it happening.

POS doesn't seem to tailor rewards. Someone got BOS(+6) with a Dragon
character and moaned about it here recently. (Dragon characters can't
wear boots in POS.)

Twisted One wrote:
> William Klett wrote:
>
>> NPP and I would assume by extension POS will style rewards to the
>> char. As a Mage I never see cleric dungeon books as rewards, while as
>> a Cleric I never see mage books.
>> Also to the best I can recall I have never gotten an unuseable
>> reward, and it seems that often a reward will try to fill in a weak
>> slot, my Cleric at cl28 had a basic Cloak +5, with ego level items it
>> all other armor slots and got a Cloak reward. Not sure if it was
>> intentional, but such has happened enough times to make me think there
>> is a chance of it happening.
>

> POS doesn't seem to tailor rewards. Someone got BOS(+6) with a Dragon
> character and moaned about it here recently. (Dragon characters can't
> wear boots in POS.)

To a limited extent, it does.

For example, of all the monsters I have played, I have NEVER gotten a
spellbook as a reward. I've gotten two so far with my HT Rogue.

I believe Alex has said 0.9.9 will be improved in the reward type category.

Twisted One wrote:

> Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> > It is already known that Google swallows variant prefixes when
> > posting replies; we now found that it even hides them from posts
> > that have them posted properly.
>
> The other person who didn't see it in the subject of that post might
> have been reading via google groups, but I sure as hell am not. I'm
> using a normal newsreader and a normal newsserver and I only saw "Re:
> The RNG has doomed me" on the post being discussed. Any posts that
> had had [POS] in the subject have vanished long since from being read
> several days ago.

This subthread is a followup to that Google post, and thus Google
stripped the header.

Incidentally, I use a normal reader on a normal server, and I see [POS]
marked messages in this thread dated today.

Arturus Magi wrote:
> Incidentally, I use a normal reader on a normal server, and I see [POS]
> marked messages in this thread dated today.

So? The post someone replied to saying something about posband
definitely didn't have [POS] in its header.