Sign in with
Your question

How to detect the bad sectors of an hdd in a laptop before booting

Last response: in Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:14:55 PM

Hello,
My laptop is not booting up. i tried reinstalling it, but still even with a boot able disk, the system is not loading up. I even tried reinstalling from the USB drive. still I the system isn't responding. What could be the possible problem?
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2013 1:20:39 PM

is it freezing when loading the os ? if your hdd was failing when reinstalling at least on windows 7 it would say its failing before installing. need to explain exactly where and what its doing when starting it up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:23:45 PM

you need 3 things to boot,
cpu
gpu
ram
are you seeing a bios screen?
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 1:27:10 PM

My laptop had booting problems and one day it stopped booting. so i tried booting up the system with a Win 7. But it didn't work out. So I tried using a boot able pen drive, that attempt also failed. Now I don't know wat the problem with my lap is. Can any one help me out here? Is it my HDD? Or is it my bad laptop Battery?
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:30:36 PM

06yfz450ridr said:
is it freezing when loading the os ? if your hdd was failing when reinstalling at least on windows 7 it would say its failing before installing. need to explain exactly where and what its doing when starting it up.

it once froze and was getting slower. so i thought of reinstalling the Win 7. So wen i attempted to do it, after the BIOS screen, the system gets into a frozen state with a non blinking cursor on top left corner
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:37:36 PM

the great randini said:
you need 3 things to boot,
cpu
gpu
ram
are you seeing a bios screen?

Yes the BIOS screen shows up, then the system gets into a frozen state with a non blinking cursor on top left corner while trying to boot. I checked the RAM. No sound is being produced, its shown in the BIOS, i even removed the RAM and put it back in still nothing :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:52:36 PM

try re-seating the HD. (cables)
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:01:55 PM

swifty_morgan said:
try re-seating the HD. (cables)

tried removing the hdd and replaced it back. still no use :( 
m