How to detect the bad sectors of an hdd in a laptop before booting

Hello,
My laptop is not booting up. i tried reinstalling it, but still even with a boot able disk, the system is not loading up. I even tried reinstalling from the USB drive. still I the system isn't responding. What could be the possible problem?
7 answers Last reply
More about detect sectors laptop booting
  1. is it freezing when loading the os ? if your hdd was failing when reinstalling at least on windows 7 it would say its failing before installing. need to explain exactly where and what its doing when starting it up.
  2. you need 3 things to boot,
    cpu
    gpu
    ram
    are you seeing a bios screen?
  3. My laptop had booting problems and one day it stopped booting. so i tried booting up the system with a Win 7. But it didn't work out. So I tried using a boot able pen drive, that attempt also failed. Now I don't know wat the problem with my lap is. Can any one help me out here? Is it my HDD? Or is it my bad laptop Battery?
  4. 06yfz450ridr said:
    is it freezing when loading the os ? if your hdd was failing when reinstalling at least on windows 7 it would say its failing before installing. need to explain exactly where and what its doing when starting it up.

it once froze and was getting slower. so i thought of reinstalling the Win 7. So wen i attempted to do it, after the BIOS screen, the system gets into a frozen state with a non blinking cursor on top left corner
  5. the great randini said:
    you need 3 things to boot,
    cpu
    gpu
    ram
    are you seeing a bios screen?

Yes the BIOS screen shows up, then the system gets into a frozen state with a non blinking cursor on top left corner while trying to boot. I checked the RAM. No sound is being produced, its shown in the BIOS, i even removed the RAM and put it back in still nothing :(
  6. try re-seating the HD. (cables)
  7. swifty_morgan said:
    try re-seating the HD. (cables)

tried removing the hdd and replaced it back. still no use :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Hard Drives Windows 7