T3 Duplicate Records when HotSyncing

January 26, 2005 1:11:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been watching this group for a little while now hoping that I
would come across a solution to my problem but so far no luck. So here
goes...

The environment:
Tungsten T3
Windows XP Pro
Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (latest version from website)

Background: I carry my T3 with me at all times except when in the office.
Since my job is primarily a desk job, I sync first thing in the morning
then use the Palm Desktop software throughout the day. At the end of the
day I sync again. I use my T3 in "read only" mode throughout the day to
get me from meeting to meeting.

The problem: when I HotSync I always get the following message for
Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Memos that I have altered or deleted:

The following record was modified on both the Palm Desktop and the
handheld
[this message is repeated for each record]

After the HotSync there are two copies of the affected record: the
original and the modified version.

This problem only occurs when I make the change in the Palm Desktop
software. In other words, making changes on the T3 directly works
perfectly and the next HotSync brings all the changes over to the Palm
Desktop.

As part of my troubleshooting, I can guarantee that I have not modified
both the Palm Desktop copy and the T3 copy as the error message states.
I have been very careful to only modify either the Palm Desktop or the
handheld between HotSyncs.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Palm Desktop
software package (including additional conduits). The problem exists
whether I have the third party conduits installed or not. Just to rule
out a conduit problem, I am currently running with no third party
conduits installed. My Palm Desktop configuration is about a vanilla
as it gets.

I've tried contacting Palm support and have been unimpressed. They've
had me uninstall and reinstall the Palm Desktop software half a dozen
times, they've had me hard reset and reinstall my T3, they've had me
perform numerous syncs with the desktop or T3 overwriting the other.
After all this, they still can't seem to isolate the problem or provide
me additional tracing/logging/troubleshooting tools.

Help!

Gary Raposo
gary at raposo dot ca
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:36:31 AM

This may be completely wrong, but could it be that palm desktop is not set
to synchronise the files, but to have the desktop overwrite the handheld (or
vice versa...) If you go to hotsync menu in palm desktop, then custom,
select a conduit (eg calender) and click change, it should specify
synchronise the files. This should be the same for all conduits.

Just a thought - hope it helps!

Dave

"Gary Raposo" <gary@raposo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been watching this group for a little while now hoping that I
> would come across a solution to my problem but so far no luck. So here
> goes...
>
> The environment:
> Tungsten T3
> Windows XP Pro
> Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (latest version from website)
>
> Background: I carry my T3 with me at all times except when in the office.
> Since my job is primarily a desk job, I sync first thing in the morning
> then use the Palm Desktop software throughout the day. At the end of the
> day I sync again. I use my T3 in "read only" mode throughout the day to
> get me from meeting to meeting.
>
> The problem: when I HotSync I always get the following message for
> Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Memos that I have altered or deleted:
>
> The following record was modified on both the Palm Desktop and the
> handheld
> [this message is repeated for each record]
>
> After the HotSync there are two copies of the affected record: the
> original and the modified version.
>
> This problem only occurs when I make the change in the Palm Desktop
> software. In other words, making changes on the T3 directly works
> perfectly and the next HotSync brings all the changes over to the Palm
> Desktop.
>
> As part of my troubleshooting, I can guarantee that I have not modified
> both the Palm Desktop copy and the T3 copy as the error message states.
> I have been very careful to only modify either the Palm Desktop or the
> handheld between HotSyncs.
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Palm Desktop
> software package (including additional conduits). The problem exists
> whether I have the third party conduits installed or not. Just to rule
> out a conduit problem, I am currently running with no third party
> conduits installed. My Palm Desktop configuration is about a vanilla
> as it gets.
>
> I've tried contacting Palm support and have been unimpressed. They've
> had me uninstall and reinstall the Palm Desktop software half a dozen
> times, they've had me hard reset and reinstall my T3, they've had me
> perform numerous syncs with the desktop or T3 overwriting the other.
> After all this, they still can't seem to isolate the problem or provide
> me additional tracing/logging/troubleshooting tools.
>
> Help!
>
> Gary Raposo
> gary at raposo dot ca

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:33:29 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, all of the conduits are set to
synchronize. Over the past few reinstalls and resets I've had plenty of
opportunity to play with the overwrite settings but as it stands the
synchronize setting is not working as expected.

Thanks

Gary

In article <ct961a$1oi$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, David Gerrie wrote:
> [...]
>> handheld between HotSyncs.
>>
>> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Palm Desktop
>> software package (including additional conduits). The problem exists
>> whether I have the third party conduits installed or not. Just to rule
>> out a conduit problem, I am currently running with no third party
>> conduits installed. My Palm Desktop configuration is about a vanilla
>> as it gets.
>>
>> I've tried contacting Palm support and have been unimpressed. They've
>> had me uninstall and reinstall the Palm Desktop software half a dozen
>> times, they've had me hard reset and reinstall my T3, they've had me
>> perform numerous syncs with the desktop or T3 overwriting the other.
>> After all this, they still can't seem to isolate the problem or provide
>> me additional tracing/logging/troubleshooting tools.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:33:35 PM

Gary,

I have the same setup and the exact same problem.

I have been searching for a couple of months now and unfortunately I
don't have a solution (yet).
I have had my T3 for a while now and it did not have this problem
originally. It only seems to have started acting up after I did some
updates last fall, but I can't recall specifically what I updated or
when. I believe I loaded a Palm OS update, an SD update and a security
update.

If I find anything I'll be sure to let you know; please do likewise.

Good Luck & Thanks,
Lou
<spam0nly at yahoo dot com>

Gary Raposo wrote:
> [...]
> >> whether I have the third party conduits installed or not. Just to
rule
> >> out a conduit problem, I am currently running with no third party
> >> conduits installed. My Palm Desktop configuration is about a
vanilla
> >> as it gets.
> >>
> >> I've tried contacting Palm support and have been unimpressed.
They've
> >> had me uninstall and reinstall the Palm Desktop software half a
dozen
> >> times, they've had me hard reset and reinstall my T3, they've had
me
> >> perform numerous syncs with the desktop or T3 overwriting the
other.
> >> After all this, they still can't seem to isolate the problem or
provide
> >> me additional tracing/logging/troubleshooting tools.

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:17:23 PM

Hi

I have a question.

In your hotsync 'Custom...' options (where you choose what to
synchronise), you should have 'Calendar' and 'Date Book' listed, as well
as 'Tasks' and 'To Do List', 'Memos' and 'Memo Pad', and 'Contacts' and
'Address Book'.

What 'Action' do you have specified against each one of these?

In article <1107999215.890427.72620@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
spam0nly@yahoo.com says...
> Gary,
>
> I have the same setup and the exact same problem.
>
> I have been searching for a couple of months now and unfortunately I
> don't have a solution (yet).
> I have had my T3 for a while now and it did not have this problem
> originally. It only seems to have started acting up after I did some
> updates last fall, but I can't recall specifically what I updated or
> when. I believe I loaded a Palm OS update, an SD update and a security
> update.
>
> If I find anything I'll be sure to let you know; please do likewise.
>
> Good Luck & Thanks,
> Lou
> <spam0nly at yahoo dot com>
>
> Gary Raposo wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, all of the conduits are
> set to
> > synchronize. Over the past few reinstalls and resets I've had plenty
> of
> > opportunity to play with the overwrite settings but as it stands the
> > synchronize setting is not working as expected.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > In article <ct961a$1oi$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, David Gerrie wrote:
> > > This may be completely wrong, but could it be that palm desktop is
> not set
> > > to synchronise the files, but to have the desktop overwrite the
> handheld (or
> > > vice versa...) If you go to hotsync menu in palm desktop, then
> custom,
> > > select a conduit (eg calender) and click change, it should specify
> > > synchronise the files. This should be the same for all conduits.
> > >
> > > Just a thought - hope it helps!
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > "Gary Raposo" <gary@raposo.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:13:48 PM

In article <MPG.1c75531e9ab1713c9896b5@wellington.gibnet.gi>, no-
one@nowhere.com says...
> Hi
>
> I have a question.
>
> In your hotsync 'Custom...' options (where you choose what to
> synchronise), you should have 'Calendar' and 'Date Book' listed, as well
> as 'Tasks' and 'To Do List', 'Memos' and 'Memo Pad', and 'Contacts' and
> 'Address Book'.
>
> What 'Action' do you have specified against each one of these?

<http://tinyurl.com/5b78h&gt;
PalmOne - Support - Knowledge Library - Conduit Info

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Date Book/Address Book/To Do List/Memo Pad are all set to "Do Nothing".

Calendar/Contacts/Tasks/Memos are all set to "Synchronize the files".

Gary

In article <MPG.1c75531e9ab1713c9896b5@wellington.gibnet.gi>, <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question.
>
> In your hotsync 'Custom...' options (where you choose what to
> synchronise), you should have 'Calendar' and 'Date Book' listed, as well
> as 'Tasks' and 'To Do List', 'Memos' and 'Memo Pad', and 'Contacts' and
> 'Address Book'.
>
> What 'Action' do you have specified against each one of these?
>
> In article <1107999215.890427.72620@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> spam0nly@yahoo.com says...
>> Gary,
>>
>> I have the same setup and the exact same problem.
>>
>> I have been searching for a couple of months now and unfortunately I
>> don't have a solution (yet).
>> I have had my T3 for a while now and it did not have this problem
>> originally. It only seems to have started acting up after I did some
>> updates last fall, but I can't recall specifically what I updated or
>> when. I believe I loaded a Palm OS update, an SD update and a security
>> update.
>>
>> If I find anything I'll be sure to let you know; please do likewise.
>>
>> Good Luck & Thanks,
>> Lou
>> <spam0nly at yahoo dot com>
>>
>> Gary Raposo wrote:
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, all of the conduits are
>> set to
>> > synchronize. Over the past few reinstalls and resets I've had plenty
>> of
>> > opportunity to play with the overwrite settings but as it stands the
>> > synchronize setting is not working as expected.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Gary

>> not set
>> handheld (or
>> custom,

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:57:12 PM

SUCCESS!

Thanks, Lou. When you pointed out that you installed that security
update (I'm assuming you're referring to the Palm Security 5.0p update
from
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/tungstent3/....
html) it reminded me that I also installed that update.

I don't know the internals of the HotSync process but I started thinking
about how it *could* work. Most importantly, how does HotSync decide
when a record has been modified? My thinking is that it must use some
sort of time stamp to check if changes have been made since some
arbitrary point in time (ie, the last HotSync). So what's changing the
timestamps on my records to make HotSync think that the records have
been changed on both the Palm Desktop (correct) and the handheld
(incorrect)?

When Lou mentioned the security update it struck me! I have encryption
turned on! I bet that when the security software encrypts the records
while locking up the handheld it updates the timestamp so that the next
time the HotSync occurs it thinks the records on the handheld were
modified... thus creating the conflict with the Palm Desktop record that
was really modified.

To test my hypothesis I simply turned off the encryption portion of the
security update... my T3 still automatically locks up but it does not
encrypt my records. That seems to have done the trick. After two days
the problem has not reoccurred.

I checked the user guide that comes with the security update and there
is no mention of potential HotSync problems when turning on the
encryption feature.

I am going to follow up with Palm support to see if they are/were aware
of this issue and to see if they are going to fix it!

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Gary

!