Adventurers Guild services

How exactly do the artifact options work in this building?

So far I have avoided them but I have an excellent reputation and figure it may
be time to dabble. :)

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

Severoth wrote:
> How exactly do the artifact options work in this building?
>
> So far I have avoided them but I have an excellent reputation and figure it may
> be time to dabble. :)

I'm going to assume this is NPP/Pos or something similar.

The reforging process allows you to combine an artifact (NOT a randart)
with a regular item. For example, you could forge Aeglos with a RoS.

When doing this, you want either higher end abilities on the
non-artifact (speed, slaying, etc) or have it be an ego item.

Here's a few examples of items I've reforged in Pos with various characters:

c) The Ring of Vandil (+14,+12) (+4)
It increases your strength and constitution by 4. It
provides immunity to cold. It provides resistance to
lightning, light, dark, nether, and life draining. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.

i) The Amulet of Mirim (+3)
It increases all your stats by 3. It increases your speed by
3. It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold,
light, dark, blindness, confusion, and nexus. It sustains
your wisdom and charisma. It cannot be harmed by the
elements. It might have hidden powers.

m) The Brass Lantern 'Esgaereb' (+3)
It increases your speed by 3. It provides resistance to
nether and life draining. It lights the dungeon around you.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.

(yes, you can reforge lanterns and torches <g>)

a) The Broad Sword of Ephrim (4d5) (+8,+17) (+4) {@w0}
It increases your infravision, speed, and attack speed by 4.
It slays animals, orcs, trolls, giants, and all evil creatures.
It cannot be harmed by the elements. It gives you 9 attacks
per turn.

(9 attacks is always good)

a) The Executioner's Sword of Gonul (6d5) (+19,+9) (+4) {@w0}
It increases your strength, intelligence, dexterity, and
charisma by 4. It increases your searching by 4. It slays
orcs and all evil creatures, and it is especially deadly
against demons. It is branded with electricity, fire, frost,
and poison. It provides resistance to acid, lightning, cold,
light, and nexus. It sustains your wisdom. It grants you
the ability to see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by
the elements. It gives you 5 attacks per turn.

(of course, so is a quadruple brand!)

n) The White Dragon Scale Mail of Mondorond (-2) [30,+24] (+4)
It increases your wisdom and constitution by 4. It provides
immunity to acid and cold. It provides resistance to light,
dark, and blindness. It sustains your wisdom. It allows you
to levitate. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It
activates for large frost ball (200) every 20+d20 turns. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.

The higher level the artifact you are using, the higher the price to
reforge. It also scales up with clvl, so you need to constantly forage
for ego items to sell. When I made Ephrim, for example, I used Aule as
the artifact.. It cost me 2.2M in gold to reforge.

This is very cool. I just started playing around with it myself. But
note that in NPP, rings, amulets, and light sources are "currently not
supported", according to the source code.

These are the types of objects you can create an artifact from in NPP:

TV_HARD_ARMOR:
TV_SOFT_ARMOR:
TV_DRAG_ARMOR:
TV_DRAG_SHIELD:
TV_SHIELD:
TV_CLOAK:
TV_BOOTS:
TV_GLOVES:
TV_HELM:
TV_CROWN:
TV_BOW:
TV_SWORD:
TV_HAFTED:
TV_POLEARM:
TV_DIGGING:

"ringlord" <hedden@cs.utk.edu> wrote in message
> This is very cool. I just started playing around with it myself. But
> note that in NPP, rings, amulets, and light sources are "currently not
> supported", according to the source code.
>
> These are the types of objects you can create an artifact from in NPP:
>
> TV_HARD_ARMOR:
> TV_SOFT_ARMOR:
> TV_DRAG_ARMOR:
> TV_DRAG_SHIELD:
> TV_SHIELD:
> TV_CLOAK:
> TV_BOOTS:
> TV_GLOVES:
> TV_HELM:
> TV_CROWN:
> TV_BOW:
> TV_SWORD:
> TV_HAFTED:
> TV_POLEARM:
> TV_DIGGING:

Correct. I believe the explanation by "polarhound" is a POS band feature.
In NPP you can have an artifact made out of a normal object. It is somewhat
expensive, in that you will have to save a part of the game to do it.

The only thing I can think of is that having an artifact made out of a
powerful item, like a mace of disruption, doesn't help much, because one of
the key evalutuators of the power of an artifact weapon is how much damage
it dishes out. Make an artifact dagger and you would get alot more
abilities/resists/slays, all cancelled out by the lower damage dice.

And btw: I didn't quite plan it like that. I realized this a couple days
ago.

--
-Jeff

replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply

Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:

> "ringlord" <hedden@cs.utk.edu> wrote in message
>> This is very cool. I just started playing around with it myself. But
>> note that in NPP, rings, amulets, and light sources are "currently not
>> supported", according to the source code.

>> These are the types of objects you can create an artifact from in NPP:

[...]
>> TV_DRAG_ARMOR:
>> TV_DRAG_SHIELD:
[...]

Are you sure? The Adventurer's Guild won't give me them as an option
if I got them in my inventory.

(Sorry, I'm too lazy and don't have enough time at the moment to check
the source. Furthermore I didn't find the correct place in less than a
minute. :)

[...]

Ralf

"Ralf Arens" <ralfs_spam-sammlung@iei.tu-clausthal.de> wrote in message
> Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:
>
> > "ringlord" <hedden@cs.utk.edu> wrote in message
> >> This is very cool. I just started playing around with it myself. But
> >> note that in NPP, rings, amulets, and light sources are "currently not
> >> supported", according to the source code.
>
> >> These are the types of objects you can create an artifact from in NPP:
>
> [...]
> >> TV_DRAG_ARMOR:
> >> TV_DRAG_SHIELD:
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? The Adventurer's Guild won't give me them as an option
> if I got them in my inventory.

Oh, you are right. That's because all are already ego-items. Interesting,
and not at all what I had intended. I will change this.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:

> "Ralf Arens" <ralfs_spam-sammlung@iei.tu-clausthal.de> wrote in message
>> Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:

>>> "ringlord" <hedden@cs.utk.edu> wrote in message

>> [...]
>> [...]

>> Are you sure? The Adventurer's Guild won't give me them as an option
>> if I got them in my inventory.

> Oh, you are right. That's because all are already ego-items. Interesting,
> and not at all what I had intended. I will change this.

Cool. Because atm I've got the feeling that artifact creation is not
useful. (Feel free to correct my feelings. :)

Ralf

Ralf Arens wrote:
> Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:

(Drag armors/shields)

>>Oh, you are right. That's because all are already ego-items. Interesting,
>>and not at all what I had intended. I will change this.
>
> Cool. Because atm I've got the feeling that artifact creation is not
> useful. (Feel free to correct my feelings. :)

You find balancdDSM with ESP. You change it to artifact. You sell
everything armor except elvenkind shields because you wont need them
anymore.

IMO possibility to change high-element DSM:s into artifacts would be
potentially unbalancing.

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä wrote:

> IMO possibility to change high-element DSM:s into artifacts would be
> potentially unbalancing.

I've had high DSMs that have come out with double and triple immunities,
and others that had almost nothing. A lot of it has to do with the
quality of artifact you are putting into it.

Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi>:
> Ralf Arens wrote:
>> Jeff Greene <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam>:

> (Drag armors/shields)

>>>Oh, you are right. That's because all are already ego-items. Interesting,
>>>and not at all what I had intended. I will change this.

>> Cool. Because atm I've got the feeling that artifact creation is not
>> useful. (Feel free to correct my feelings. :)

> You find balancdDSM with ESP. You change it to artifact.

Maybe I misunderstand you. Are you talking about the current situation
or a hypothetical situation?

At the moment I _can't_ turn dragon armours or shields into artefacts.

> You sell everything armor except elvenkind shields because you wont
> need them anymore.

> IMO possibility to change high-element DSM:s into artifacts would be
> potentially unbalancing.

Maybe. I'm not qualified to judge. I haven't found many high-level
DSMs in my *band career.

(I haven't won one game since I started playing in 1996 -- not because
I die to often but because I lose interest in *band and don't finish
the game. After some months I get back to some variant and start a new
char. But I swore to myself that I'll finish my current game, be it by
killing Morgoth or getting killed.)

Ralf

Polarhound wrote:
> Timo Pietilä wrote:
>
>> IMO possibility to change high-element DSM:s into artifacts would be
>> potentially unbalancing.
>
> I've had high DSMs that have come out with double and triple immunities,
> and others that had almost nothing. A lot of it has to do with the
> quality of artifact you are putting into it.

I didn't understand last part of that sentence. What do you mean with
"putting artifact into it"?

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi>:
> Polarhound wrote:
>> Timo Pietilä wrote:

>>> IMO possibility to change high-element DSM:s into artifacts would be
>>> potentially unbalancing.

>> I've had high DSMs that have come out with double and triple immunities,
>> and others that had almost nothing. A lot of it has to do with the
>> quality of artifact you are putting into it.

> I didn't understand last part of that sentence. What do you mean with
> "putting artifact into it"?

I'm quite sure he refers to Posband. In Posband one combines an
existing artefact and an object to a new artefact.

Ralf