[V] Ethics of Object-Scumming after crash

mattdp

Hi,

Playing today I was clearing out a graveyard at 2750' and I'd lured
away a few dreadmasters, isolated them and polished them off. Going
through the spoil they left behind I found Dor-Lomin which was a nice
find although not immediately useful as my current helm (Holhenneth or
whatever) was my only source of RConf. But potentially very handy in
the future if I could find another source of RConf.

Anyway, shortly afterward I had a machine crashed and lost a short
segment of play time which included nothing significant except for the
finding of Dor-Lomin.

So the question is, given what's happened how naughty is it to go
fiddling with the game files to try and ensure I get my artifact back?
If you think it's permissable, how would you go about it (I was idly
wondering about editing the info file to make it rarity 1)? Is it worth
it, or am I likely to find it again?

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

MattDP wrote:

> So the question is, given what's happened how naughty is it to go
> fiddling with the game files to try and ensure I get my artifact
back?
> If you think it's permissable, how would you go about it (I was idly
> wondering about editing the info file to make it rarity 1)? Is it
worth
> it, or am I likely to find it again?

I have no real problem with it ethically, since the time lost was
short, it was no fault of yours, and you can reasonably approximate the
situation when you crashed. The simplest method is to use wizard mode
to create it, but that will mark the character as a cheater (not that
anybody cares unless they have an ethical problem with you doing this
in the first place). I'm not sure if others will have any ethical
objection or not.

Dor-Lomin seems to turn up in about 80-90% of late game Vanilla dumps
with randarts off, so I'd say you're fairly likely to find it again (it
is already in depth for you). But if you want to create it, that's
fine. Do whatever will bring you the most satisfaction.

CC

I wouldn't do it, but that's me. It's just a game, do what you like.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Editing the info files doesn't guarantee finding Dor-Lomin, it just
gives the RNG a big nudge next time an artifact helm is generated. That
might not happen for a while though.

CC

In article <1113478623.430414.124000@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > So the question is, given what's happened how naughty is it to go
> > fiddling with the game files to try and ensure I get my artifact
> back?
> > If you think it's permissable, how would you go about it (I was idly
> > wondering about editing the info file to make it rarity 1)? Is it
> worth
> > it, or am I likely to find it again?
>
> Dor-Lomin seems to turn up in about 80-90% of late game Vanilla dumps
> with randarts off, so I'd say you're fairly likely to find it again (it
> is already in depth for you). But if you want to create it, that's
> fine. Do whatever will bring you the most satisfaction.

I had something very similar happen to me a number of years ago, losing
Dor-Lomin to an out-of-band problem. I just picked up from where I had
been before, and on the very next level it reappeared :).

Best wishes,
Matthew

--
Those who assert that the mathematical sciences have nothing to say
about the good or the beautiful are mistaken. -- Aristotle

peter

In theory, you can load your save (i.e. before crash), then repeat identically
all your moves, and due to way the game is randomized everything will be as it
was before crash. So all items, battle results and such will be the same.
It's very difficult, however, to remember exactly what your moves were...

Peter.