120hz vs resolution vs screen size vs IPS/TN?

OffTheRails

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I currently run a 1080 23" tn display - very average.

I'm looking to upgrade but my budget is only around £250, and I'm looking for something which will make a big difference.

Out of the above - hz, res, size, ips/tn - which should I be more concerned with? What order do you favor these specs?

I'll use the monitor for multi tasking and gaming, and will use my current monitor in a dual setup.

The 3 I've had my eyes on:

(ASUS VE278Q) http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE278Q-Widescreen-Display-Response-Picture/dp/B0041RXPQY/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338972574&sr=1-11
(iiyama B2776HDS ProLite) http://www.amazon.co.uk/B2776HDS-ProLite-Monitor-Backlight-Display/dp/B005JBHODG/ref=pd_sim_computers_3
(Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2412M-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005LNDPPS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338974812&sr=1-1

I really want to go 27" if I can.

multimonitor setups work best with the same type of monitor in the same resolution and same physical size. identical monitors are ideal.

if you change panel types then one might look alot better than the other.

if you change size things look really strange when you drag across or are referencing one screen to the other.

if you change resolution things really get strange!

the only case where i would say two differently sized screens aren't too bad is when one will be your primary monitor and the other is only going to be used for skype, surfing the web, internet radio, etcetera... or when you dont plan to span anything between the two screens and are okay with the idea.

---

with that said...

8bit ips panels (p-ips, h-ips, s-ips) are always what i recommend but in your budget you might only be able to get a 6bit e-ips panel. this essentially is the same color quality as a tn panel but has a much wide viewing angle. they are only available in 60hz though.

some people rave on 120hz vs 60hz but personally i dont see a difference big enough to rave about. in any case to get any decent difference you will have to upgrade your hardware more often to be able to run new games at closer to 120fps. sure you might see a difference at 70, 80, 90fps but it scales as you get closer to 120fps (120hz). also tn panels have a poor viewing angle unless they use a coating which helps out slightly. personally i try to steer clear of them.

as far as larger monitors....remember that as you increase in size while staying at a static resolution (1920x1080) things will look not as crisp. not saying that it is a bad thing.. i play on a 40" tv and i'm happy with it. just stating that you will notice changes.

of the brands you mentioned... i'd trust the dell as i've heard alot recommendations for it.. maybe the asus. never heard of iiyama you would have to do alot of research on it first.

mylesw

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I just returned my ASUS VE248Q which is the same monitor you are looking at but at 24 inches, big mistake buying it, the image is very blown up and the colors do not look right.

Would not suggest the VE278Q.