[NPP] Rogue and slings

Should rogues start with a sling? They are so cheap if the store has one, and
they are very common at 50', but it makes things really difficult if you can't
find one.

Also, it doesn't make sense that sling ammo is so heavy. I guess it is meant to
counterbalance the lightness of the weapon itself, but 99 shots is 20lbs
heavier than 99 bolts.

Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess .5lb
makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.

Apologies if these points have been raised in the recent competition threads.

awldune wrote:
> Should rogues start with a sling? They are so cheap if the store has one, and
> they are very common at 50', but it makes things really difficult if you can't
> find one.
>
> Also, it doesn't make sense that sling ammo is so heavy. I guess it is meant to
> counterbalance the lightness of the weapon itself, but 99 shots is 20lbs
> heavier than 99 bolts.
>
> Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess .5lb
> makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.

In order to be effective sling shot needs to be heavy (in RL). The
heavier the better as long as you can get enough speed to it to actually
hit anything. So I guess golf ball is closer than musket ball.

Imagine getting hit by a pebble and then hit by a half of a brick with
almost same speed.

Timo Pietilä

In article <d3mpgr$315i$1@news.vol.cz>,
awldune <awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Should rogues start with a sling? They are so cheap if the store has
> one, and they are very common at 50', but it makes things really
> difficult if you can't find one.

> Also, it doesn't make sense that sling ammo is so heavy. I guess it is
> meant to counterbalance the lightness of the weapon itself, but 99 shots
> is 20lbs heavier than 99 bolts.

> Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess
> .5lb makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.

Ancient Greek slingshot (thousands have been found) were plum-shaped
*lead* bullets weighing 0.7-1.5 oz but occasionally up to 1.9 oz - this
means that 99 will weigh about 6-7 lbs.

The famous Balaeric slingers were said to have used (tennis ball sized)
stones weighing a mina (15.3 oz)!! but fist-sized stones and some lead and
even iron bullets have been found in mainland Spain.

--
Steve Clark

{sjclark@argonet.co.uk using a 43Mb SA 4.39 RiscPC}

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:06:19 +0000 (UTC), awldune
<awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess .5lb
>makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.

They vary. The stone balls used by the Maya were the size of a man's
fist. I don't imagine anyone ever used lead that size, but realism
doesn't limit things much and gameplay should trump that at any rate.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

In article <4d5c384a7dsjclark@argonet.co.uk>,
Steve Clark <sjclark@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <d3mpgr$315i$1@news.vol.cz>,
> awldune <awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Should rogues start with a sling? They are so cheap if the store has
>> one, and they are very common at 50', but it makes things really
>> difficult if you can't find one.
>
>> Also, it doesn't make sense that sling ammo is so heavy. I guess it is
>> meant to counterbalance the lightness of the weapon itself, but 99 shots
>> is 20lbs heavier than 99 bolts.
>
>> Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess
>> .5lb makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.
>
>Ancient Greek slingshot (thousands have been found) were plum-shaped
>*lead* bullets weighing 0.7-1.5 oz but occasionally up to 1.9 oz - this
>means that 99 will weigh about 6-7 lbs.

Of course, it's not like most of the other weapon weights are
accurate, either....
--
Julian Lighton jl8e@fragment.com
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:33:05 -0700, R. Dan Henry
<danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:06:19 +0000 (UTC), awldune
><awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Are sling shots musket ball sized, or more like golf ball sized? I guess .5lb
>>makes logical sense if they're golf ball sized.
>
>They vary. The stone balls used by the Maya were the size of a man's
>fist. I don't imagine anyone ever used lead that size, but realism
>doesn't limit things much and gameplay should trump that at any rate.

I was thinking of the Inca, actually, not the Maya. Sorry. (Although
that may be true of the Maya, too.)

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com