[Steam] Bug? Movement abilities and traps.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug in Steam, and if it is what the
solution is. But it does seem odd to me. I also wonder if I am
abusing by taking advantage of it deliberately, or if it is intended to
be used this way.

Anytime you use a "p" power that moves you, you can safely land on
traps without triggering them. At least I think it is any power. I
have mainly tested ninjitsu techniques and dash with a rogue. You can
use dash to safely run down corridors of traps, and step in and attack
to fight safely in trap filled rooms. Seing as using a keyring tends
to wake up a bunch of enemies, this remains useful throughout the game.

If this is working as intended, that's fine. After all, Rogues
shouldn't have much trouble with traps.

Otherwise, making abilities trigger traps at the end would probably be
good, if it is possible. Should dash allow you to leap across three
traps, if the fourth square is empty? I don't know. I know that VALIS
is going to tone down regeneration, so maybe just making it so you
can't use these techniques to move around ALL the time would solve the
issue a different way.

valis

In article <1113582436.918469.171670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Igor D. WonderLlama" <WonderLlama_@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this is a bug in Steam, and if it is what the
> solution is. But it does seem odd to me. I also wonder if I am
> abusing by taking advantage of it deliberately, or if it is intended to
> be used this way.
>
> Anytime you use a "p" power that moves you, you can safely land on
> traps without triggering them. At least I think it is any power. I
> have mainly tested ninjitsu techniques and dash with a rogue. You can
> use dash to safely run down corridors of traps, and step in and attack
> to fight safely in trap filled rooms. Seing as using a keyring tends
> to wake up a bunch of enemies, this remains useful throughout the game.
>
> If this is working as intended, that's fine. After all, Rogues
> shouldn't have much trouble with traps.

Feature (it's noted in the comments, btw. :)

> Otherwise, making abilities trigger traps at the end would probably be
> good, if it is possible. Should dash allow you to leap across three
> traps, if the fourth square is empty? I don't know. I know that VALIS
> is going to tone down regeneration, so maybe just making it so you
> can't use these techniques to move around ALL the time would solve the
> issue a different way.

Ah, it will become even more useful once terrain is introduced.
-Campbell

VALIS writes:
> In article <1113582436.918469.171670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "Igor D. WonderLlama" <WonderLlama_@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anytime you use a "p" power that moves you, you can safely land on
> > traps without triggering them. At least I think it is any power.
> > have mainly tested ninjitsu techniques and dash with a rogue. You
can
> > use dash to safely run down corridors of traps, and step in and
attack
> > to fight safely in trap filled rooms. Seing as using a keyring
tends
> > to wake up a bunch of enemies, this remains useful throughout the
game.

> Feature (it's noted in the comments, btw. :)

Alrighty then. I will stop feeling guilty about doing that then. By
the way, I find the variety of the effects of the various class powers
and spells to be one of the best things about SteamBand. Especially
the rogue powers that move you around in different patterns.