Need operating system

Hello,
I have a compaq presario 1278 series cm2070 and I need an operating system my email is ridley_charles@email2me.net the model # is 1456VQLlN
11 answers Last reply
More about need operating system
  1. Ummm...

    You can buy an Operating System.
  2. jaguarskx said:
    Ummm...

    You can buy an Operating System.

    Thank you...where can I buy it at?
  3. :bounce: :bounce:
    jaguarskx said:
    Ummm...

    You can buy an Operating System.

    Thank you...where can I buy it at?
  4. i don't know if you received the last messege jaquarskz...but do you know where i can get an OS at
  5. Thank you.

    chuck01
  6. Well since your laptop is from around 1999 - 2001 (I'm guessing), you will not be able to install Windows Vista or Windows 7. That means Windows XP is going to be the most recent OS that you can install. Correct me if I am wrong about the age of your laptop.

    You can purchase an OEM version for Win XP Home w/ Service Pack2 for $108 + shipping & tax:

    http://www.ecrater.com/p/8956157/microsoft-windows-xp-home-sp2

    OEM (original equipment manufacturer) is generally meant for companies (like Dell) to buy and install on PCs that they sell and those companies are responsible for providing you with technical support. Additionally, if you want to install the OS on another PC you will need to contact Microsoft to release to product key so that you can use it again.

    Here a full retail version for $144. The difference is that you do not need to ask Microsoft's permission to install on a newer laptop if you decide to "upgrade". I prefer full retail myself since I don't want to be bothered calling Microsoft every time I upgrade.

    http://www.computersystems2go.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSF.WinXPHome.C&Click=2585
  7. chuck01 said:
    i don't know if you received the last messege jaquarskz...but do you know where i can get an OS at


    FYI.

    This is a general forum, not Instant Messaging. Therefore, I will not know you posted a reply unless I decide check back in this particular thread.
  8. Also don't make multiple threads about the same topic. You need to give people time to respond. Additionally, I don't know where you live, but in my time zone it's 12:38am, November 30th, so some people maybe asleep by now.
  9. jaguarskx said:
    Well since your laptop is from around 1999 - 2001 (I'm guessing), you will not be able to install Windows Vista or Windows 7. That means Windows XP is going to be the most recent OS that you can install. Correct me if I am wrong about the age of your laptop.

    You can purchase an OEM version for Win XP Home w/ Service Pack2 for $108 + shipping & tax:

    http://www.ecrater.com/p/8956157/microsoft-windows-xp-home-sp2

    OEM (original equipment manufacturer) is generally meant for companies (like Dell) to buy and install on PCs that they sell and those companies are responsible for providing you with technical support. Additionally, if you want to install the OS on another PC you will need to contact Microsoft to release to product key so that you can use it again.

    Here a full retail version for $144. The difference is that you do not need to ask Microsoft's permission to install on a newer laptop if you decide to "upgrade". I prefer full retail myself since I don't want to be bothered calling Microsoft every time I upgrade.

    http://www.computersystems2go.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSF.WinXPHome.C&Click=2585


    Thank you that helps alot.

    chuck01
  10. chuck01 said:
    Thank you that helps alot.

    chuck01



    Just to add, if you prefer not to spend money to enrich Bill gates & Co., that there are hundreds of free opensource OS, mainly undeer the collective Linux flag. Many run as LiveCDs so you can experiment with them without installing then do so if you wish. Frequently, they turn up on computer magazine covers. I quite like one called PCLinuxOS which you can download free from http://www.pclinuxos.com.

    By the way, you could receive e-mail notification of a new post into your thread - there might be an option to tick somewhere in your Profile page.
  11. Saga Lout said:

    Just to add, if you prefer not to spend money to enrich Bill gates & Co., that there are hundreds of free opensource OS, mainly undeer the collective Linux flag. Many run as LiveCDs so you can experiment with them without installing then do so if you wish. Frequently, they turn up on computer magazine covers. I quite like one called PCLinuxOS which you can download free from http://www.pclinuxos.com.

    By the way, you could receive e-mail notification of a new post into your thread - there might be an option to tick somewhere in your Profile page.


    Thank you.

    chuck01
Ask a new question

Read More

Presario Compaq Email Laptops