Sign in with
Your question

Recommend parts for new laptop?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 30, 2010 4:32:06 AM

Hey guys, i usually not around this part of the forums (due to my limited knowledge in mobile tech) , but I just order an alienware m11x from dell today for $550 /9which i thought was a good deal), but i think it'll need some upgrades. It only comes with 2gb of ram (800 mhz) though which i feel is crippling to the system especially if i wanna do some gaming. Whats a good 4gb kit i can grab? I found a mushkin 4gb kit 1066 mhz 7-7-7-20 but now its sold out.

Also what would be a good choice for a bigger hdd in case i need to upgrade form the 160gb. It should be enough but should i run out of room 320ish would be better. Are the spinpoint hdd's for laptops equally as good as their desktop counterpart?

Thanks for the help guys.

More about : recommend parts laptop

November 30, 2010 3:37:27 PM

Apparently the m11x doesnt support anything higher than 800mhz. Anyone know where i could grab some?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2010 3:56:21 PM

Alienware, the laptop aimed at gamers, comes with just 2GB RAM, lol.

Can't you return the laptop on grounds that it doesn't perform well with your software. I think you have 21 days to get a refund.
Related resources
November 30, 2010 4:39:52 PM

Yes, but i dont want to return it, i just want to upgrade the ram.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2010 4:52:45 PM

Umm.. ok then. I use Crucial for memory upgrade. It has the m11x under Core2Duo and Core-i3/i5
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2010 7:18:05 PM

Quote:
Can't you return the laptop on grounds that it doesn't perform well with your software. I think you have 21 days to get a refund.

Not sure about Dell's policy any more, but you used to have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Total bogus.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 1, 2010 8:54:34 AM

@lostandwandering Wow! So it's not a straightforward "if u ain't happy, u can get ur money back" Oh man...
!