MNN 500 Replace Antenna Y/N?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have a range extending antenna but the base station
antenna doesn't appear to screw off. Is this correct?
Any way to boost the signal if I can't put an antenna on?
Thanks, Ken.

The card inside is a standard broadcom miniPCI card. Under
each foot-pad is a screw. The pads just come off with a
slight pull, the screws with a screw driver, and the clear
plastic face plate just clips in (so it may take a good
tug). Other than that, carefully remove the silicone
around the connector and find an internal antenna that will
hook into a mini-PCI card's plug. The antenna should just
sit in the case, so you could fairly easily remove it. It
is held in there by two bent jumper prongs.
-M

That may work on the single antenna, but the Microsoft base stations have
two. You would be unbalancing the signal by doing so. There is no
supported method of boosting the signal on Microsoft products.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

> The card inside is a standard broadcom miniPCI card. Under
> each foot-pad is a screw. The pads just come off with a
> slight pull, the screws with a screw driver, and the clear
> plastic face plate just clips in (so it may take a good
> tug). Other than that, carefully remove the silicone
> around the connector and find an internal antenna that will
> hook into a mini-PCI card's plug. The antenna should just
> sit in the case, so you could fairly easily remove it. It
> is held in there by two bent jumper prongs.
> -M

There is no supported way to replace/change the antenna in the MN500 (or the
MN700).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -