DEF between Speed & other?

ahw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi guys...

What is the defferent between 2 CPUS of same ARCH. but defferent speed.
Let say, between Celeron 600 & Celeron 700.
What make the margin of 100 Mhz¿

Thanks a lot in Advance...

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
The performance increase with 100 more MHz isn't outstanding, but can be noticeable, if this is any help.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

ahw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im very sorry, i didn't ask the q very clearly.
I mean, what the company do to increase the speed from 600 to 700 in the newer CPU,
Do it increase the # of Transistors?
or Shrinking the DIE-SIZõE?
or the Transistors swiching is faster?
That if we consider the both CPU are same.

thanks for Tempus for his speedy answer, also thanks for other future answers :).

G

Sometimes a manufacturer will 'step' his product a little differently. This produces the chip a little more 'carefully' to oversimplify, but rarely involves redesign or addition of new parts. Mostly the faster chips are just overclocked by the manufacturer, instead of by you. The main difference is that they guarantee it will work, while you only hope that your o/c will.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you take the FSB and multiply that by the multiplier, you'll get the rated speed of the processor.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>what the company do to increase the speed from 600 to 700 in the newer CPU,
Cpus work on (speed of m/b== "FSB") * multiplier.
When computer asembled the FSB and multiplies are set (or set automaticly) to speed writen on the CPU - speed that cpu maker specified for the cpu.
When cpu maker made chips they test in witch speed cpu can work without errors , then cut off some legs to make cpu run only on the speed on witch the cpu passed the test, and write "600" or "700" ,e.t.c .
To make cpu faster they made transistor cpecs better, so the CPU can work at higher frequancy without failures .
Sometimes happens that all cpus are of the best spec they have , so they just write numbers that less than they could , because they have to sell slower cpus too. In the other hand , it happens that cpu manufacturer unable to made cpu of certain speed at all, but they have to show that they not yet compleatly lost to competitors, so they take best cpu they have, write on it speed marking they want ,put it on "kriotech" system (Freezer combined with computer that freezes the cpu to -40 c) ,put it in a showroom behind a wall, and show everybody only the monitor, and they run only most "easy" software that wouldn't crash on faulty cpu, that only for short periods of time. They not selling cpus of that speed of course, only talking about it.

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.

ahw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like to thanks all of you. Each peace of information is very important for me.
Thanks a lot.