I'm out of arrows.

I don't have the hp to go toe to toe with either of them.

Screwed, right?

On 2005-04-18, Polarhound wrote:
> Lvl 27 HO Ranger at 1000' with 4 Huorns left to kill (10 levels OOD)
>
> Bolg is running around like a madman with his mob.
>
> I'm out of arrows.
>
> I don't have the hp to go toe to toe with either of them.
>
> Screwed, right?

IMHO yes. Unless you have some unorthodox strategy, you don't have
a chance against Bolg. You can try magic against Huorns, they're
vulnerable to everything, but they have lots of HPs.

--
Alexander Ulyanov, maintainer of PosBand roguelike
E-mail: posband_AT_earthsea_DOT_org Web: http://posband.earthsea.org/

Avoid them and kill weak monsters until more arrows drop. (Bolg's
escorts, if you can isolate some of them, should do nicely.)

Alexander Ulyanov wrote:
> On 2005-04-18, Polarhound wrote:
>
>>Lvl 27 HO Ranger at 1000' with 4 Huorns left to kill (10 levels OOD)
>>
>>Bolg is running around like a madman with his mob.
>>
>>I'm out of arrows.
>>
>>I don't have the hp to go toe to toe with either of them.
>>
>>Screwed, right?
>

> IMHO yes. Unless you have some unorthodox strategy, you don't have
> a chance against Bolg. You can try magic against Huorns, they're
> vulnerable to everything, but they have lots of HPs.

I took the chance of failing the quest and recalled up for more arrows.
Here is the quick version of what transpired:

| 1092022| 20 | 28 | Quest: Killed 15 Huorns
| 1100120| 20 | 28 | Killed Bolg, Son of Azog
| 1118959| 20 | 28 | Killed Gorbag, the Orc Captain
| 1125438| Quest | 28 | Reward: The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cambeleg'

I actually had 8 Huorns left when I ran out of arrows. I took to
hasting to +12 and dancing with them to kill another 4. There was just
no way I could do it with all however given a lack of !oSpeed.

Once I came back down, the last 4 Huorns went down easily. Bolg was
back, this time in a double mob with Gorbag. Both went down with little
trouble.

I probably should mention the bow I'm using as well that even then was
borderline in taking the Huorns down:

b) The Long Bow of Cuthelen (x3) (+14,+27)
It provides resistance to fire. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

This was creating by taking every cent of cash and reforging a Long Bow
of Power with Thengel.

As for Bolgs being vulnerable to magic, I couldn't really take advantage
of that as the 4d8 from MM didn't do much, and the other attacks ate up
SP too fast.