Jericho

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001
How compatible will current Duron/Athlon motherboards and systems be with the new AMD processors coming out, specifically Palomino, Morgan, and then ClawHammer, Thoroughbred and Appaloosa?

Would it be possible to buy a new processor (one of the ones mentioned) and as long as you can set the multipliers and all that correctly, be able to use the new processor when it comes out in your current system without upgrading anything else?

What sort of features would I need in the motherboard (Maybe a minimum FSB required)

sorry, don't know too much about processors but want to build a new computer soon :)

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As far as I know, the Palomino and Morgan are going to fit right into a standard SocketA platform, but I am not sure though. They are probably going to run on 133Mhz FSB, so if they are put onto a board with 100Mhz FSB, they'd be underclocked, unless the multiplier is fiddled with.

As for the other upcoming cores, I believe they will require a new platform, but I am not sure.

G

I hope that AMD may be different, but intel change something about every 6 months, voltage or pins or something, It would be good if someone was to have the same config for a year or 2, to give people a chance to upgrade the cpu without having to get a new board as well

Jericho

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001
So I would just have to check that my Athlon motherboard supports 133FSB? How many motherboards at the moment have this, all? most? some? none?
what do the current athlons use? only 100Mhz?
And what about multipliers, would 12x be a good choice?

Sorry, i really don't know much :)

G

The new Athlons / Durons probably will be compatible (if your BIOS supports 133MHz FSB) but the Hammer chips are 64-bit and will probably need a whole new board because the system bus archatecture will change. It will proably be PGA, but with more pins maybe.