New 8400, XPS gen 3 systems - can your systems play curren..

If you have one of these new systems with PCI express, and one of the
new radeon X800 video cards, could you please indicate whether your
system is able to play current games (such as Far Cry, Doom 3, ...),
without crashing, freezing, lock-ups.
There are multiple ongoing threads in the Dell Support Forums by users
complaining how they are unable to play games on their "gaming
computers":

- forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dim_video
- forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=game-gen

Dell is saying little, and it is not clear at all how prevalent this
problem is.
3 answers Last reply
More about 8400 systems systems play curren

    I have an 8400 with the following specs:

    P4 3.0
    1 GB DDR2 533 RAM
    80GB and 160GB SATA drives
    120GB USB 2.0 drive
    PCI Express X800 SE video
    Integrated audio
    DirectX 9.0c
    ATI 4.9 beta drivers optimized for Doom 3
    Latest IIntel chipset driver.
    Clean install of XP Pro (SP2 RC2 slipstreamed)

    I can play Doom 3 for hours without crashing.

    >I have an 8400 with the following specs:
    >
    > P4 3.0
    > 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM
    > 80GB and 160GB SATA drives
    > 120GB USB 2.0 drive
    > PCI Express X800 SE video
    > Integrated audio
    > DirectX 9.0c
    > ATI 4.9 beta drivers optimized for Doom 3
    > Latest IIntel chipset driver.
    > Clean install of XP Pro (SP2 RC2 slipstreamed)
    >

    > I can play Doom 3 for hours without crashing.

    Does that mean your system *does* crash, but not for hours, or you're not
    aware of any problem?

    Never a crash with the configuration I listed.

    "The Social Outcast" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an 8400 with the following specs:
    >>
    >> P4 3.0
    >> 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM
    >> 80GB and 160GB SATA drives
    >> 120GB USB 2.0 drive
    >> PCI Express X800 SE video
    >> Integrated audio
    >> DirectX 9.0c
    >> ATI 4.9 beta drivers optimized for Doom 3
    >> Latest IIntel chipset driver.
    >> Clean install of XP Pro (SP2 RC2 slipstreamed)
    >>

    >> I can play Doom 3 for hours without crashing.
    >>

    > Does that mean your system *does* crash, but not for hours, or you're not
    > aware of any problem?

Dell Games Systems Computers