Budget 27-inch IPS pannel (about 300$, too good to be true?)

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
A friend of mine stumbled upon this deal and it seems a little too good to be true, so I'd like some help in deciphering these facts. And helping me to gauge the potential risks, 300$ is cheap for a product like this, but that doesn't mean I just want to throw away 300$ on a gamble.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-Quad-HD-2560x1440-16-9-D-Sub-Computer-Monitor-/220961455233?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3372543c81#ht_8227wt_905

From what I can see the 2 big risks here are the potential for excessive gloss, and the danger of dead pixels. Another thing that bugs me is that the monitor seems to have dual-link DVI as it's only connection. My computer has HDMI and Display Port on the motherboard (and I plan on getting myself a GTX 670 one day). But I'm not sure how adapters would work in this case. Based on this picture here: http://cdn.overclock.net/7/74/748c3777_dvi_connector_types.gif the Achieva TV seems to have a dual-link DVI-D I found a lot of DVI-I adapter but I'm having trouble finding DVI-D. Are they rarer for some reason?

Solution
As far as the dual-link DVI, I think you'll have better luck getting an adapter from DisplayPort to dual-link DVI than from the HDMI port. However, I wouldn't count on onboard video being able to handle the 2560x1440 resolution.

However, there is a bigger risk than those you mentioned, which is that the manufacturer doesn't have a website as far as I can tell (there are some other companies called "Achieva" that have websites, but they don't make monitors), so it might as well be a phantom, and there's no warranty at all from what I can see (I've seen some eBay entries for the Yamakasi Catleap with options to add a warranty, but Yamakasi is similarly phantom, so I'm concerned about who would honor the warranty)

At $300, I'd definitely...
As far as the dual-link DVI, I think you'll have better luck getting an adapter from DisplayPort to dual-link DVI than from the HDMI port. However, I wouldn't count on onboard video being able to handle the 2560x1440 resolution.

However, there is a bigger risk than those you mentioned, which is that the manufacturer doesn't have a website as far as I can tell (there are some other companies called "Achieva" that have websites, but they don't make monitors), so it might as well be a phantom, and there's no warranty at all from what I can see (I've seen some eBay entries for the Yamakasi Catleap with options to add a warranty, but Yamakasi is similarly phantom, so I'm concerned about who would honor the warranty)

At $300, I'd definitely say it's too good to be true - there are only a few models of 27 inch 1920x1080 TN panels that are $300 or less at Newegg, so getting a 27 inch 2560x1440 IPS panel at that price is unbelievable.

Solution
its a hard call...

there are definitely deals to be made with getting no-name brands made in foreign countries however it is a huge gamble whenever you do. often there is no warranty or protection against issues besides the general ebay guarantee.

ebay guarantees that the product needs to match the description so should stand behind you in case it doesnt however the descriptions often do not state "zero dead pixels" or "warranty".

its your call but personally i would put your money towards a product from a major manufacturer with a website, contact options and clear-cut warranty/return terms.