Thermal Paste Is it necessary on a FOP 32-I?

G

I am about to build a system athlon 900 a7v mobo, and Globalwin fop 32-i and when i oppend up the heatsink and fan (FOP 32-I) i noticed there is a little orange square on the heatsink, where thermal paste would be making contact between the heatsink and processor, in reading toms article on building a pc, he puts quite a pile of thermal paste on the cpu before mounting the heatsink, I have also read on other sites that sometimes thermal paste can actually hinder the heat from reaching the heatsink, can anyone tell me if I should be using paste, or just mounting the heatsink without it, and if anyone can tell me what that little orange square is on my FOP 32-I i would love to know what it is.

Thanks.

seems the only way you get any replies to your post in here is if you either say Intel is better than amd or say you got a pentium cheaper than an athlon or something along that line, so if it helps me get more replies, here goes
I have a Pentium 75mhz, overclocked to 1.8 ghz, and i got it for 5 bucks and my athlon catches on fire every time i start the computer but still runs quite stable and keeps my feet warm on cold nights, which one is better...?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I have no idea what the littel orange square is, but I would definatlry use thermal paster to connect the kernal with the heatsink, cause sometimes the heatsink isnt touching the kernal. Don't use more than a small dot spread out and it should work fine.

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The little pink stuff doesn't work as well as Arctic Silver. Its fine but for better cooling results, remove the pink stuff with nail-polish-remover and put on a small bit of Arctic Silver instead.

G

is it not a wise idea then to put arctic silver on top of the little pink square, what would be the result of using both.?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My guess is that it would insulate rather than conduct heat.
The pink stuff doesn't work very well at all.
You could see up to a 7C drop in temp with Arctic Silver.

G

ok you sold me,,, where do i get this arctic silver stuff, I am in canada i could probably dig some up in my back yard right now, but will stick to what has been working so far and try a store?