Outllook, Outlook Express

dpmkflorida

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I am running Windows 7. I am starting a new job and they want me to use Outlook (I assume they meant Outlook Express?). My boss tells me she is running Windows 7 with Outlook. I can only assume she has Microsoft Office 2010 (or later) on her computer. I believe that is part of the install. I have Microsoft Office 2007 and I do not see an Outlook install. I believe I can buy Outlook for around $45, but I am not going to spend the money.

Is there any other way I can get Outlook installed on my computer?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Nope if you want outlook you have to buy it. It's part of the MS Office home and business package.

There is an outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010.
For a free substitute you can try "Thunderbird" It's similar.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Outlook only comes two ways - one by purchasing Microsoft Office that includes Outlook, or if you are on a LAN connection with the Microsoft Exchange Server, the IT department can install Outlook as the client.

Outlook Express is not the same thing...I don't think it is still available.

Which version of Microsoft Office 2007 do you have - many include it...

BTW - the $45 version of Outlook is Academic versions - which require you to be a teacher and/or a student...Full versions start around $110....

If your company is requiring that you use Outlook, then they should provide it to you.
Edit:
Thunderbird with the Lightning Extension has most of the functions of Outlook from a single-user perspective, such as a Calendar and Tasks, but it still lacks any multi-user / collaboration features, such as are provided by Exchange. If your company has Exchange, presumably they have Outlook licenses available for all employees.

moulderhere

Distinguished
At Staples here in Canada, you can purchase Microsoft Outlook as a singular application.

The $45 is for the academic version of Outlook 2010 (not office suite), and for $110, you get the full retail version of Outlook 2010.

Most version of Microsoft Office included Outlook, but some "bundled with a PC" versions only had Microsoft Word and Excel.