Is this temp too hot?

G

I'm running a Thunderbird 900 on an Abit K-T7 Raid board. Lately it's just been crashing for no reason with no boot, no blue screen, nothing. The hard drives just power on but don't boot. I get nothing to the monitor. So I open the case, leave it open, give the system time to cool down and later it boots up fine. O.K., so I'm thinking it's getting to hot. I check the CPU temp and its running 130 fahrenheit to 140 range fluctuating. Is this too hot? Could this be causing the crashes. I'm not overclocking anything. I've got a golden orb fan on the CPU. I've got two 80 mil fans blowing out the top with one 80 mil fan blowing in from the bottom. The system temp is around 87 degrees. What do you think? Also, shouldn't the CPU temp a little lower anyway given the type of cooling directly on the CPU? Thanks.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
That is hot. Orb fans are pieces of shite anyway. I might help if you remove the heatsink/fan and apply some artic silver thermal paste connecting the cpu to the heatsink/fan, just in case it isnt completely touching.

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

G

Wow, way too hot! I am running a tbird 900 @ 1000 on the abit kt7-raid. Idle temp is 33C, full load 48C. Using a PAL6035. I had to tinker with the HS a lot before I got it just right. If it wasn't on just right with just the right amount of thermal paste, spread out just right, temps would go way up.