stamina in angband/*angband (proposal)

How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in long,
demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by potion of
restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in battle and in
easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon (when creatures
don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural health
regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).

+ +
dfTruF

dfTruF wrote:
> How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
> Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in long,
> demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by potion of
> restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in battle and in
> easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon (when creatures
> don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural health
> regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
> realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
> abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
> 90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
> tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).

There's already stamina in Angband. And it does regenerate from
particular foods, potions, spells, or sitting resting enough. But it's
called "hit points" instead of "stamina". :)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:37:29 +0200, dfTruF <dftruf@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
>Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in long,
>demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by potion of
>restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in battle and in
>easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon (when creatures
>don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural health
>regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
>realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
>abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
>90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
>tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).

This change would probably require major changes in the design. While it
can be a simple inclusion into the game, it could easily mess up the game
balance.

The breeders in the dungeon are bad enough - implementing a stamina system
could easily make them too powerful.

replicant

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003

I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Characters already have
resources that are worn down by battle and must be restored - health,
mana, stats, items in the inventory, etc. It's already true that if
you fight a lot of tough monsters in a row, even if you survive, it's
usually harder to beat the last one than the first, often requiring you
to run away or take extra precautions.

In general, it's very hard to add and manage a new variable or concept,
especially if it's supposed to underpin a lot of things - being tired
would presumably make you worse at almost all challenging skills or
activities. I think that if someone wanted to make the player more
'worn out' from battle, it would be better to work off of currently
existing ways that fighting can disable the player, such as equipment
and inventory destruction, temporary effects (stunning, poison), spells
that drain mana or stats, etc. There are already established ways of
causing those effects, and established ways for the player to prevent
or cure the disablement. It's easier to modify existing stuff than
write in a new and overarching system.

On 2005-04-24 16:37:29, dfTruF <dftruf@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
> Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in long,
> demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by potion of
> restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in battle and in
> easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon (when creatures
> don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural health
> regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
> realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
> abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
> 90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
> tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).
>

> + +
> dfTruF

Try UnAngband, it has exactly what you're describing.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea because it unnaturally disturbs the flow of
gameplay. It just adds one more thing you'd have to micromanage.

--
AKA Yumi_Saotome on #angband

Replicant wrote:
> I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Characters already have
> resources that are worn down by battle and must be restored - health,
> mana, stats, items in the inventory, etc. It's already true that if
> you fight a lot of tough monsters in a row, even if you survive, it's
> usually harder to beat the last one than the first, often requiring you
> to run away or take extra precautions.

Yes, after analising it, I see now, this is true. There is no need to
add stamina to boost playing bliss. :)

+ +
dfTruF

On 2005-04-24 07:37:29 -0700, dfTruF <dftruf@poczta.onet.pl> said:

> How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
> Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in
> long, demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by
> potion of restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in
> battle and in easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon
> (when creatures don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural
> health regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
> realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
> abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
> 90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
> tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).
>

> + +
> dfTruF

If we want to be realistic we should add other bodily functions. I
propose that another building should be added to town, the "outhouse."
If it isn't visited every four to six hours of game time, your
character explodes.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ernest Huang wrote:
> On 2005-04-24 16:37:29, dfTruF <dftruf@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>

>>How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
>>Living beings (even high elfs) are not cyborgs and simply tires in long,
>>demanding battles. Stamina would be recoverable of course, by potion of
>>restore stamina, or by some energetic mushrooms or food in battle and in
>>easy way in home, on the city street or in safe dungeon (when creatures
>>don't appear) by simply standing still (like natural health
>>regeneration process). Then game would be more interesting and
>>realistic, but more challenging, because stamina would affects all
>>abilities of hero (well rested - 100%..90% of abilities, rested -
>>90%..80%, in strength - 80%..70%, normal - 70%..60%, weary - 60%..50%,
>>tired - 50%..40%, very tired - 40%..30%).
>>

>>+ +
>>dfTruF
>>

> Try UnAngband, it has exactly what you're describing.
>
> Personally, I think it's a bad idea because it unnaturally disturbs the flow of
> gameplay. It just adds one more thing you'd have to micromanage.

This is a bit reminiscent of woundpoints/hitpoints in Steamband; here WP
play approximately the role usually played by HP, and HP are a bit like
the stamina concept.

Nick.

JBancock <jb@nospam.com> wrote:
>On 2005-04-24 07:37:29 -0700, dfTruF <dftruf@poczta.onet.pl> said:
>>How about bringing in stamina to angband or to some *angband ?
>If we want to be realistic we should add other bodily functions. I
>propose that another building should be added to town, the "outhouse."
>If it isn't visited every four to six hours of game time, your
>character explodes.

I forsee slight difficulties with ironman games... =)

Otto Martin - have actually thought of thirst and sleep...
--
"They say dreams are your subconscious telling you something, but I
think yours might be trying to distract you while it robs a bank."