Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Realtek 3rd party drivers optical

Last response: in Windows 7
January 4, 2013 11:20:08 PM

Hello,

I have an on board realtek HD Audio card and I am using the optical port to attach to my surround sound system.

It used to be that I had either a 3rd party driver set, or an older realtek driver set that allowed me to hear everything in all speakers, but I updated to the latest realtek driver recently and completely lost this ability. It plays the test audio fine in surround because it's the proper file format there-for it's transmitting fine.

I know I wont get true surround for files that aren't in the right format. I just want to be able to hear any audio in any program in all my speakers weather its true surround or simulated.

Thanks for your help
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 11:53:37 PM

If it is connected to a surround sound system, presumably a receiver, then that should be handling all the matrixing/upmixing of the audio, not the software driver.
January 5, 2013 3:40:14 AM

Thank you for your reply.

It is connected to a receiver yes. It worked like I want it to before I updated the driver. I'd roll-back to the old one, but its gone now. My receiver is only receiving 2.1 channel stream and there-for that's what it's playing. When testing with windows DTS and Dobly under the optical output properties it receives the 5.1 channel signal as it should and sound comes through the appropriate speakers at the right time.

there must be some sort of software, or driver, or codec that can accommodate what I'm looking for, because before I updated my driver my receiver was getting an upmixed 5.1 signal from the computer while playing stereo format in any situation weather it was gaming, music, or streaming videos online from any web site.
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2013 4:00:54 AM

jhankovs said:
Thank you for your reply.

It is connected to a receiver yes. It worked like I want it to before I updated the driver. I'd roll-back to the old one, but its gone now. My receiver is only receiving 2.1 channel stream and there-for that's what it's playing. When testing with windows DTS and Dobly under the optical output properties it receives the 5.1 channel signal as it should and sound comes through the appropriate speakers at the right time.

there must be some sort of software, or driver, or codec that can accommodate what I'm looking for, because before I updated my driver my receiver was getting an upmixed 5.1 signal from the computer while playing stereo format in any situation weather it was gaming, music, or streaming videos online from any web site.

Have you double-checked the Realtek site to make sure that they don't still have the older driver set available? Some of the off-shore companies (I'm in US) tend to do that in order to make everything universal and kosher with their off-shore partners. Go back to their site and look for a driver archive or something similar to that. Can't guarantee if will be there unfortunately, but it's worth a shot.

You might also try some of the different driver programs floating around that will find a driver for you, it might just work.

January 5, 2013 4:15:10 AM

Best answer selected by jhankovs.
January 5, 2013 4:21:14 AM

I got out my original install CD again and installed the packed driver. As before I went into output devices> selected optical as default> opened enhancements tab> selected Virtual surround and clicked apply and this time it worked. I'm getting the upmixed audio an all speakers once again.

This was the first thing I tried before, but I think the first time I must have forgot the virtual surround button.

!