NPP YASD: insufficient sling ammo

I just went YASD for the zillionth time, this time as High-elf rogue.

But this one was for a proximate cause I've seen before: insufficient
sling ammo, along with less-than ideal weapon. I ran out of sling
ammo, was trying to picking it up, then Maeglin healed himself, and
whacked me while I was ammo-less. I cut it too close, and died.

But none of this would have been a problem if I'd had more than 29
lousy rounded pebbles. I had him down to less than one star!

I'm going to fix my version to increase the ammount of sling ammo
stocked in the stores, and to make sling use more feasible in the late
game. Currently, the number of bolts and arrows in the average stack
is much, much larger, despite the fact that slings do less damage per
round, even for a rogue.

I was using a +6,+8 ordinary sling rather than a Heavy Xbow of Power
+15 -- (76 damage per round vs 72 damage per round, not counting
accuracy, but using twice as much ammo.)

And I was on a roll, too -- 2000', clev 29, diving fast (for me) at
500K moves.

So, my changes:

Update object object.txt:
Iron shot: Replace hopeleslly infrequent
A:3/1:40/2

with (same as arrow, with some removed for pebbles.)
A:3/1:15/2:50/1

Pebbles: no change

Add: seeker shot (derived from arrow)

N:117:& Seeker Shot ~
G:{:B1
I:16:3:0
W:55:0:2:20
P:0:4d4:0:0:0
A:55/2:80/2
F:SHOW_MODS
D:It can be shot with a sling.

Slings: replace

A:1/1:20/2:40/4
with
A:1/1:20/2:40/2:75/4

This change makes shot be as common as bolts & arrows, and better
preserves damage scaling out to the endgame for both weapon and ammo.
Additionally, the generic "sling" class will have comparable frequency
to either bow or xbow.

I'm not sure if this is the desired balance or not, but currently rogue
often must fight with an xbow or even a bow, despite being
"exceptionally proficient" with a sling.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nice one Pete. I agree that slings and their ammo should be no less
common than bows & xbows. I also don't see why we can't have seeker
shots when bows & xbows have them. In my version I'll up mithril shots
to 3d4 as well - no reason for them to be only 2d4. Of course, Jeff
will have fixed all this for 0.5.0!!

CC

OK, I played a couple hours this afternoon, and tuned these numbers. I
was getting too much shot, rather than too little.

I did see a Sling of Buckland for sale in the shop, but I was at level
1, no way to get it.

However, by increasing the amount of shot, the amount of store junk
goes up too, rather a lot. This can be fixed by increasing the
inventory flush rate from 1/4 to 1/3 in stores.c (line 1355)

/* Hack -- sometimes, only destroy half the objects */
else if (one_in_(3))
num = (num + 1) / 2;

/* Hack -- sometimes, only destroy a single object */
else if (one_in_(2)) num = 1;

Final changes to object.txt:

# Hack: put here for compatibility

N:17:& Seeker Shot ~