*angband: turn off cursed items?

Is there an angband variant where I can just turn off cursed items? That's just
a real pain in the butt.

--
Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in most browsers.

A man wrote:
>Is there an angband variant where I can just turn off cursed items?
>That's just a real pain in the butt.

Try ToME: it has strong pseudo for all magic items (potions, wands,
rings, etc.) Try NPP: it has mass ID, which solves all problems.

Anyway, I almost never have trouble with cursed items any more, but I
did when I first started playing.

I assume you are playing warrior or ranger, and have too much loot to
carry home after a vault or monster nest? All other classes have some
way to work around the cursed item problem. (Ranger is probably the
worst, with slow, weak pseudo, and very late access to ID spell.)

Strategies:
1. Use remove curse/OoD as a crude pseudo-ID. (Priest/paladin works
this way.)
1a. Play mage or rogue
2. Carry more ID. (it's cheap!)
3. Return home more often (it's cheap!)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:31:14 -0400, A man wrote:

>Is there an angband variant where I can just turn off cursed items? That's just
>a real pain in the butt.

Hi A,

None that I'm aware of.

You can edit the object.txt file in \lib\edit, and completely remove the
items that are always cursed (and do the same in ego_item.txt and
artifact.txt for cursed ego items and cursed artifacts - though some of
the latter are more of the "mixed blessing type"). But to also prevent
finding cursed versions of good items would require changing the code and
recompiling the game.

Of course, in both cases you'll severely affect game balance - since the
total number of generated objects remains the same, but the chance of a
bad object is decreased (or even removed), the number of good objects will
be increased.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)