Questions Before I Buy Win 7 Laptop

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
1) which is better? 32 bit or 64 bit windows 7?

2) i'm thinking of buying a windows 7 laptop. but i got a printer thats 32 bit that wont work in win 7. is it possible to use xp mode so the printer can work? will the USB work?

3) if i get a 64 bit laptop, can i install 32 bit win 7 on it?

4) which has faster boot up time? windows 7 or xp?

runswindows95

Distinguished
1) 64-bit overall since most new systems ship with at least 4GB of RAM
2) What printer exactly? Might be cheaper to replace the printer instead of worrying about drivers / OS so much.
3) Overall, 7. I went from XP to 7, and 7 is faster.
4) Depends. If you get a system with a Windows 64-bit OS already installed, you will have to buy a copy of a 32-bit Windows, and wipe it out.

If the printer is the main issue, I say replace unless it's a plotter or something.

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

2. i dont understand your answer. please clarify.. will my 32 bit printer work in win7 or not?

4. yes what? i dont understand. please clarify.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Since you switched the questions for #3 and #4, let me clarify:

2) XP Mode is a way in Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate to run XP based programs within Windows 7.

4) Yes, Windows 7 boots faster than XP.

However, my biggest question is what is the make and model of the printer? That will help us help you make a better decision overall.

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

2) What printer exactly? Might be cheaper to replace the printer instead of worrying about drivers / OS so much.
its an HP printer. and i'm not gonna buy a new printer. so, will xp mode let me run my 32 bit printer?

3) Overall, 7. I went from XP to 7, and 7 is faster.
i dont understand your answer. please clarify.

4) Depends. If you get a system with a Windows 64-bit OS already installed, you will have to buy a copy of a 32-bit Windows, and wipe it out.
i dont get your answer. you said i'd have to wipe out my 64 bit win7 with 32 bit xp in order to get faster bootup? can you explain this please?

runswindows95

Distinguished
2) It might.

3) Windows 7 boots faster than XP

4) In order to take a Windows machine from 64-bit to 32-bit, you have to wipe out the hard drive, and start over with a copy of Windows 32-bit. Also, XP might not work for a lot of manufactures no longer provide drivers for XP.

Again, overall, since it's an HP printer, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new printer instead of trying to go through all these steps. If you have to go from 64-bit to 32-bit, you're looking at $100 just for Windows. $100 gets you a nice printer these days. Even my 5 year old Samsung laser, which was $300, is now only $100 to replace with the newest model.

CMac019

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
1) 64-bit is generally better but I'm not sure how noticeable it'd be

2) Maybe your printer has updated drivers on the manufacturer's website for 64-bit Win7, I'd check that out.

3)Yes but you'd need to wipe everything and purchase a new copy of windows 32-bit which is kinda a waste of money if you just bought a brand new computer.

4) Not sure since I haven't used XP in years, but Win7 seems better all around to me.

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

2) It might.
it might? so then whats the point of xp mode if you cant install 32 bit apps on it? doesnt make sense.

Again, overall, since it's an HP printer, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new printer instead of trying to go through all these steps. If you have to go from 64-bit to 32-bit, you're looking at $100 just for Windows.
I'm not trying to go from 64 bit to 32 bit. i just want to know how i can make my 32 bit printer work in a 64 bit environment. but if you say that xp mode "might" get it to work in 64 bit win7, then again, whats the point behind xp mode?

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

1) 64-bit is generally better but I'm not sure how noticeable it'd be
i'm trying to transition from xp to either 32-bit or 64-bit win7. i heard 64-bit is more secure. but i want to make sure 64-bit is the right decision.

2) Maybe your printer has updated drivers on the manufacturer's website for 64-bit Win7, I'd check that out.
they dont. i checked.

CMac019

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I'm not sure about it being more secure but the 64-bit version of windows main advantage over a 32-bit version is that it handles RAM better.

There's no problem with 32-bit windows, if you really want to keep your printer the it'll be just fine.