Where to get info on character dump?

Where can I get info on what all the tables mean in a character dump?
(For Angband vanilla.)

--
Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in most browsers.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:57:51 -0400, A man wrote:

>Where can I get info on what all the tables mean in a character dump?
>(For Angband vanilla.)

Hi A,

Do you mean the tables with the latters a through l and 2 at the top and
various four- or five-letter words on the left?

The letters correspond to your equipment slots (a = wielded weapon, c & d
= rings; l = shoes; etc.) and innate qualities (the @ sign).

The four and five letter words are mostly resistances and some other
important properties.

In these tables, a + denotes that the item in a particular slot will
provide that resistance or property. A * denotes that not only resistance,
but even immunity is granted (applies to acid, fire, cold, and lightning
only).

You can use these tables to quickly review which resistances you have
covered and which ones you still lack, or which a specific item gives you
that is not already given by another item.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A man wrote:

> --
> Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in most browsers.

Say yes to learning how to tell your browser to display fixed-width
fonts.

CC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:49:24 +0200 in article
<kidt61lgp0l3iq1mj9d93nrrs80umlji2j@4ax.com>, Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om
spoke thusly...
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:57:51 -0400, A man wrote:
>
> >Where can I get info on what all the tables mean in a character dump?
> >(For Angband vanilla.)
>
> Hi A,
>
> Do you mean the tables with the latters a through l and 2 at the top and
> various four- or five-letter words on the left?

Yes.

> The letters correspond to your equipment slots (a = wielded weapon, c & d
> = rings; l = shoes; etc.) and innate qualities (the @ sign).
>
> The four and five letter words are mostly resistances and some other
> important properties.
>
> In these tables, a + denotes that the item in a particular slot will
> provide that resistance or property. A * denotes that not only resistance,
> but even immunity is granted (applies to acid, fire, cold, and lightning
> only).
>
> You can use these tables to quickly review which resistances you have
> covered and which ones you still lack, or which a specific item gives you
> that is not already given by another item.

Thanks for the summary, but is there a website with more details? I could
probably figure out what most abbreviations mean, but I'm sure to get stuck on
a couple.

--

A man wrote:

> Thanks for the summary, but is there a website with more details? I could
> probably figure out what most abbreviations mean, but I'm sure to get stuck on
> a couple.

You could have a look at some winner chardumps at the angband ladder
(angband.oook.cz). They have equipment with almost all flags, so you can
check the cryptic ones from the item description.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:30:31 -0400, A man wrote:

(snip)
>Thanks for the summary, but is there a website with more details? I could
>probably figure out what most abbreviations mean, but I'm sure to get stuck on
>a couple.

Hi A,

I'm not aware of any complete description of all these abbreviations
anywhere. Juho's advise is actually pretty good. And another way to go
around it is to ask here, specifying which abbreviations you don't
understand.

To give you a head start, here are the ones with the -IMO- less
intuitive abbreviations. (The descriptions are copied from the
unfinished 3.0.5 version of the spoiler file OBJ-GOOD.SPO, that I hope
to finish and release (along with several other updated spoiler files)
somewhere during the next month).

Disen: Resist Disenchantment
attacks to 6/(6+1d6) of normal damage. It also protects
your equipment from all forms of disenchantment.

S-Dig: Slow Digestion
turn.

PLite: Permanent Light
light radius of three squares. For items equipped in
other slots, this extends your light radius by one
square.

Regen: Regeneration
restored, and it increases your rate of food consumption
by 3 units per turn.

Telep: Telepathy
distance of 20 squares. No light or line of sight is
required and invisible monsters can be detected as well.
Monsters without brains are not detected by telepathy and
monsters with primitive, instinct-driven brains are only
detected sometimes.

Invis: See Invisible
line of sight.

FrAct: Free Action
from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
mana than you have left, or starvation. It also protects
you from spells which slow.

HLife: Resist Life Draining (aka Hold Life)
loss of experience points from life draining attacks.
The chance to negate the experience loss depends on the
type of attack used; this will be detailed in the spoiler
file MON-BLOW.SPO. It does not protect you from time or
bizarre things.

Tunn.: +/-n to Digging (aka Tunneling)
through rubble or rock. The exact calculation of the
chance to dig will be described in ABILITY.SPO.

If there are other abbreviations on the character description screen
that you can't figure out, just ask!

Best, Hugo
--

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> S-Dig: Slow Digestion
> turn.

It's S.Dig actually. :)

> Regen: Regeneration
> restored, and it increases your rate of food consumption
> by 3 units per turn.

Isn't hp regeneration increased by a factor of 1.5, not 2?

> FrAct: Free Action
> from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
> casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
> mana than you have left, or starvation. It also protects
> you from spells which slow.

Slowing from all sources except brain smash, gravity, and inertia I think.

No protection from being KO'd by heavy-stunning creatures either.

> HLife: Resist Life Draining (aka Hold Life)
> loss of experience points from life draining attacks.
> The chance to negate the experience loss depends on the
> type of attack used; this will be detailed in the spoiler
> file MON-BLOW.SPO. It does not protect you from time or
> bizarre things.

Bizarre things?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:44:43 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>> S-Dig: Slow Digestion
>> turn.
>
>It's S.Dig actually. :)
>
>> Regen: Regeneration
>> restored, and it increases your rate of food consumption
>> by 3 units per turn.
>
>Isn't hp regeneration increased by a factor of 1.5, not 2?
>
>> FrAct: Free Action
>> from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
>> casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
>> mana than you have left, or starvation. It also protects
>> you from spells which slow.
>
>Slowing from all sources except brain smash, gravity, and inertia I think.
>
>No protection from being KO'd by heavy-stunning creatures either.
>
>> HLife: Resist Life Draining (aka Hold Life)
>> loss of experience points from life draining attacks.
>> The chance to negate the experience loss depends on the
>> type of attack used; this will be detailed in the spoiler
>> file MON-BLOW.SPO. It does not protect you from time or
>> bizarre things.
>
>Bizarre things?

Hi Neo,

Yes, bizarre things. As in "It activates for bizarre things". Have you
never found the artifact with that particular activation?

Thanks for the corrections. I've put your message on hold and I will
double-check these points later.

Best, Hugo
--

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Yes, bizarre things. As in "It activates for bizarre things". Have you
> never found the artifact with that particular activation?

Can't say I have.

> Thanks for the corrections. I've put your message on hold and I will
> double-check these points later.

yw.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:44:43 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
(snip)
>> Regen: Regeneration
>> restored, and it increases your rate of food consumption
>> by 3 units per turn.
>
>Isn't hp regeneration increased by a factor of 1.5, not 2?

Hi Neo,

No. At least not in V 3.0.5. From dungeon.c :

/* Regeneration ability */
if (p_ptr->regenerate)
{
regen_amount = regen_amount * 2;
}

>> FrAct: Free Action
>> from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
>> casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
>> mana than you have left, or starvation. It also protects
>> you from spells which slow.
>
>Slowing from all sources except brain smash, gravity, and inertia I think.

It doesn't protect against many other slowing effects either. Try
quaffing a Potion of Slowness with Free Action. :)

The only slowing effect that FA helps against is the monster spell known
in the source code as RF5_SLOW and in the edit files as SLOW. This spell
is described in monster knowledge (and in the yet to be written spoiler
for monster attacks) as "It may cast spells which slow"; this is why I
chose exactly these words for my spoiler file. If you have suggestions
for a better wording, I'm all ears.

>No protection from being KO'd by heavy-stunning creatures either.

Yep, you're right. I missed that because I searched the code for calls
to set_paralyzed(). Unfortunately, the knockout code doesn't use this;
instead, in the main loop in dungeon.c, a check is made for either
paralysis or knockout, and in both cases you miss your turn:

/* Paralyzed or Knocked Out */
if ((p_ptr->paralyzed) || (p_ptr->stun >= 100))
{
/* Take a turn */
p_ptr->energy_use = 100;
}

So technically, being knocked out is not the same as being paralyzed. In
gameplay terms, there is no difference - in both cases, a monster is
slowly beating you to death and you never get a chance to move...

I've changed the description for Free Action to warn the reader that it
doesn't protect from being knocked out due to heavy stunning. The
description now reads:

Shorthand: Free Action
In-game: It grants you immunity to paralysis.
from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
mana than you have left, starvation, or being knocked out
when the stun counter exceeds 100. It also protects you
from spells which slow.

Again, thanks for the corrections and suggestions. I hope that you and
others will keep providing feedback like this when the full spoilers are
released.

Best, Hugo
--

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> No. At least not in V 3.0.5. From dungeon.c :
>
> /* Regeneration ability */
> if (p_ptr->regenerate)
> {
> regen_amount = regen_amount * 2;
> }

Hmm, looks like they munchkinized it. ;)

> Shorthand: Free Action
> In-game: It grants you immunity to paralysis.
> from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
> casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
> mana than you have left, starvation, or being knocked out
> when the stun counter exceeds 100. It also protects you
> from spells which slow.

I'd still make the caveat that slowing from brain-smash, potions, or
breaths isn't prevented, only the specific spell of draining power from
one's muscles. (People may well consider brain smash a "spell which
slows", not to mention they may consider that phrase to include other
magical effects like potions and breaths.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 17:27:35 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>> No. At least not in V 3.0.5. From dungeon.c :
>>
>> /* Regeneration ability */
>> if (p_ptr->regenerate)
>> {
>> regen_amount = regen_amount * 2;
>> }
>
>Hmm, looks like they munchkinized it. ;)

Hi Neo,

It's like this in 3.0.3, 3.0.5 and 3.0.6-alpha1. I don't have older
versions of the source, so if Robert munchkinized it, it was not a
recent change.

>> Shorthand: Free Action
>> In-game: It grants you immunity to paralysis.
>> from paralysis caused by failed attempts to bash a door,
>> casting a spell (or praying a prayer) that takes more
>> mana than you have left, starvation, or being knocked out
>> when the stun counter exceeds 100. It also protects you
>> from spells which slow.
>
>I'd still make the caveat that slowing from brain-smash, potions, or
>breaths isn't prevented, only the specific spell of draining power from
>one's muscles. (People may well consider brain smash a "spell which
>slows", not to mention they may consider that phrase to include other
>magical effects like potions and breaths.

I'll take your suggestion to change "spells which slow" to "spells which
drain power from your muscles". That should avoid confusion without
requiring another handful of lines to discribe what FA does NOT do. (I
try to just describe what it DOES do <g>).

Best, Hugo