Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Black Screen after "Starting Windows"

Last response: in Windows 7
January 5, 2013 3:13:56 AM

So this started a few months back, and now its really getting on my nerves.
My System Spec

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4GB DDR3
ATI Raedon HD7770 1GB DDR5
Psu - 550W
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

The situation :-
Whenever I try to boot my PC, everything is fine till the "Starting Windows" logo. And after that the screen goes black. I don't see the welcome screen.
I DO NOT have any mouse cursor. I CAN NOT run task manager. But my PC is still responsive - I can hear the welcome sound over the speaker, and also my keyboard works (turned the num-lock key on/off).
Then I hard-restart the PC. Usually it would run just fine, at least it used to when the problem first started. But now I have to restart multiple times, and at some point, it would boot without the black screen.
I can always boot into Safe Mode without any black screen.
I don't think its the PSU, as I have this same system config for about a year and this problem started just a few months back.

Things that I've tried :-
1. Checked the registry value (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell). Its value is "explorer.exe" as expected.
2. Entered safe mode. msconfig. Disabled all non-windows services. Completely uninstalled the display driver. Still getting the black screen on normal boot.
3. Reformatted/reinstalled a fresh copy of Win7. Installed no driver and nothing. Shut down. Reboot. Still no joy.
4. I turned on Base Video in msconfig while in safe mode. And now i can boot normally, with crappy graphics. So this must be something to do with graphics driver, right? But i am using a fresh copy of Win7 right now, w/o any drivers!

So experts, please help!!
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2013 4:07:27 AM

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

Of course, be sure to do this from Safe Mode (even though the graphics are crappy) but it will help you in starting to isolate the issue.
January 5, 2013 7:16:17 AM

As I said, its a fresh copy of Windows. It doesn't have anything installed and so it has nothing in the startup section!
Related resources
January 5, 2013 7:22:47 AM

I just found a crazy workaround. Its in no way a solution, but now I can at least boot normally.

What i did :-
1. Run my PC.
2. Black Screen appears after "Windows Starting" logo.
3. I press the Sleep button on my keyboard. The screen remains black, as it should be.
4. I try to wake up the PC (pressing the power button on the CPU).
5. Voila! I am at the windows lock screen. Then I just log-in to my account and everything's fine from there.

But I have to do this procedure EVERYTIME I run my PC :sweat: 

Any other suggestions???
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2013 8:42:25 AM

ATI driver still has a few bugs under W8.
January 5, 2013 9:26:15 AM

das_stig said:
ATI driver still has a few bugs under W8.

but I am using Windows7!
January 23, 2013 2:36:21 PM

I think its my graphics card. Something is wrong with it. Sent it for servicing 2 days ago, haven't heard back yet..
December 7, 2013 12:15:42 AM

ChesterX said:
My System Spec

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4GB DDR3
Psu - 550W

Whenever I try to boot my PC, everything is fine till the "Starting Windows" logo. And after that the screen goes black. I don't see the welcome screen.
I DO NOT have any mouse cursor. I CAN NOT run task manager. But my PC is still responsive - I can hear the welcome sound over the speaker, and also my keyboard works (turned the num-lock key on/off).
Then I hard-restart the PC. Usually it would run just fine, at least it used to when the problem first started. But now I have to restart multiple times, and at some point, it would boot without the black screen.
I don't think its the PSU, as I have this same system config for about a year and this problem started just a few months back.

1. Checked the registry value (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell). Its value is "explorer.exe" as expected.
2. Entered safe mode. msconfig. Disabled all non-windows services. Completely uninstalled the display driver. Still getting the black screen on normal boot.
3. Reformatted/reinstalled a fresh copy of Win7. Installed no driver and nothing. Shut down. Reboot. Still no joy.
4. I turned on Base Video in msconfig while in safe mode. And now i can boot normally, with crappy graphics. So this must be something to do with graphics driver, right? But i am using a fresh copy of Win7 right now, w/o any drivers!

YOU NEED TO WAIT FOR 2 MINS AFTER 'STARTING WINDOWS' SCREEN {{THE WELCOME SCREEN IS IMAGINARY}} AND THE PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL AND CLICK TO OPEN TASK MANAGER ... THEN GO TO PROCESSES TAB ..LOOK FOR 'EXPLORER' AND CLICK ON IT AND END IT ... THEN GO TO 'TASKS' TAB...THERE'S A BUTTON ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT THAT SAYS 'NEW TASK' ...A SMALL WINDOW WILL APPEAR .. TYPE 'explorer' AND PRESS ENTER ... YOU'RE DONE /!! ;)  BUT YEAH .. THIS WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME YOU WILL REBOOT YOUR PC .. SO ITS BETTER TO REPAIR YOUR WINDOWS USING THE INSTALLATION CD .. HOPE I SOLVED THE PROBLEM ... IT WORKED WITH ME !
January 15, 2014 1:42:51 AM

ChesterX said:
My System Spec

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4GB DDR3
Psu - 550W

This morning I came to work and I had the same problem. I logged in with my username and then boom!!! nothing, black screen, no Ctrl+Alt+Del worked, no nothing. I could access safe mode though, so I backed-up some files, and though to just use the Windows 7 CD to do a full recovery or a general re-installation if necessary.

HOWEVER, before doing so I tried to log in as the Admin and as Guest and surprise, surprise it worked @_@ !! But when I used my own user account still nothing worked. Therefore, as an Admin I opened my graphic card's control panel (I have Nvidia) and I changed my screen resolution to a lower one - from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050, and my color depth from to 32bit to 16bit, and then rebooted.

When I logged into my user account with those settings it worked!!! Then I changed the resolution and color depth back to the correct settings, and not make sure it worked, I restarted the system a couple of times and it all worked without having to run any recovery for Windows.

I hope my solution helps other people out there too.

Best,
Dom
!