unrecognized pci device on optiplex gx400

Hi,

I have just reinstalled windows 2000 workstation on an optiplex gx400. I
don't have any of the disks that came with the machine.

I had to download a driver for the onboard sound from the dell web site but
apart from that everything worked straight from windows. However, I still
have a mystery PCI device in the device manager. if I remove it and reboot
it comes back again

There are no PCI cards physically installed in the machine, just the AGP
video. From what I can tell, all the onboard kit is working.

all I know is that it reports PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3 and uses I/O
range DCD0-DCDF irq 10.

any ideas what this might be?

many thanks

Andy

Chipset driver?

"Andy Fish" <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just reinstalled windows 2000 workstation on an optiplex gx400. I
> don't have any of the disks that came with the machine.
>
> I had to download a driver for the onboard sound from the dell web site
> but
> apart from that everything worked straight from windows. However, I still
> have a mystery PCI device in the device manager. if I remove it and reboot
> it comes back again
>
> There are no PCI cards physically installed in the machine, just the AGP
> video. From what I can tell, all the onboard kit is working.
>
> all I know is that it reports PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3 and uses
> I/O
> range DCD0-DCDF irq 10.
>
> any ideas what this might be?
>
> many thanks
>
> Andy

Does it have the keyboard with the "dell touch" feature keys on it?
That could be it.

"Andy Fish" <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just reinstalled windows 2000 workstation on an optiplex gx400. I
> don't have any of the disks that came with the machine.
>
> I had to download a driver for the onboard sound from the dell web site
but
> apart from that everything worked straight from windows. However, I still
> have a mystery PCI device in the device manager. if I remove it and reboot
> it comes back again
>
> There are no PCI cards physically installed in the machine, just the AGP
> video. From what I can tell, all the onboard kit is working.
>
> all I know is that it reports PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3 and uses
I/O
> range DCD0-DCDF irq 10.
>
> any ideas what this might be?
>
> many thanks
>
> Andy

"Andy Fish" <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just reinstalled windows 2000 workstation on an optiplex gx400. I
> don't have any of the disks that came with the machine.
>
> I had to download a driver for the onboard sound from the dell web site
but
> apart from that everything worked straight from windows. However, I still
> have a mystery PCI device in the device manager. if I remove it and reboot
> it comes back again
>
> There are no PCI cards physically installed in the machine, just the AGP
> video. From what I can tell, all the onboard kit is working.
>
> all I know is that it reports PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3 and uses
I/O
> range DCD0-DCDF irq 10.
>
> any ideas what this might be?
>
> many thanks
>
> Andy

I agree with the poster who simply asked, "Chipset?"

To be more specific, you most likely need to install the Intel chipset
drivers for your motherboard. They tell the operating system how to
interface with features of the motherboard that the operating system doesn't
inately know how to deal with; this would be necessary if, for example, the
chipset in use was released just prior to or after the release of the
operating system.

For your GX400, visit
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX400&os=WNT5&osl=en&deviceid=183&devlib=27&category=27&releaseid=R21688

Carmine Castiglia
Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags -
http://www.infosystemspro.com/pdaparts.htm

PS: Pretty much the entire motherboard is filled with "PCI devices",
regardless of whether or not you have any additional cards installed.

Thanks to all for all the replies

I was building the machine for my father and I've handed it over to him now
so I can't try these suggestions out right away. Next time I'm visiting him
I'll download the keyboard and chipset drivers.

Andy