life expectancy of high elves

How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
? 300..900 ?
How many turns in angband game adds one year for high elf?

+ +
dfTruF

dfTruF wrote:
> How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
> ? 300..900 ?

FInarfin had daughter called Galadriel, she was born in Valinor when Two
Trees still gave their light to Arda. She came to middle earth with
Finrod across grinding ice, and stayed middle earth trough 1st, 2nd and
3rd age. So, quick calculation gives us something like over 7000 yars
from years of middle earth, and on top of that quite many yars of trees
(which were longer). So, that is record.

High elves came to Beleriand in beginning of 1st age, and most of them
stayed middle earth only 1st age, which was something like 580 years.
So, roughly 600 years is quite close. :)

> How many turns in angband game adds one year for high elf?

I don't have answer for this

> + +
> dfTruF

- donalde -

dfTruF wrote:

> How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
> ? 300..900 ?

IIRC, as long as they wish

> How many turns in angband game adds one year for high elf?

The same than for 1 human duh :)

Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
> The same than for 1 human duh :)

How many turns in concrete number, please. :)

+ +
dfTruF

In article <d4trih$4bf$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl> you wrote:
>How many turns in concrete number, please. :)

One day (from dawn to dawn) would seem to be 10000 turns.
Therefore, assuming a year of similar length that we have,
a year would be about 3 652 500 turns.

Recalling from my games (the number of the day has always been less
than 100 and my turns have gone over 4 million), I'd say those are
turns assumed at a speed of +0.

Otto Martin - wondering about starting a S char with karate...
--
"They say dreams are your subconscious telling you something, but I
think yours might be trying to distract you while it robs a bank."

"Pasi 'donalde' Vartiainen" <donalde@pp.inet.fi> schrieb...

>> How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
>> ? 300..900 ?
>
> FInarfin had daughter called Galadriel, she was born in Valinor when Two
> Trees still gave their light to Arda. She came to middle earth with
> Finrod across grinding ice, and stayed middle earth trough 1st, 2nd and
> 3rd age. So, quick calculation gives us something like over 7000 yars
> from years of middle earth, and on top of that quite many yars of trees
> (which were longer).

Well, it is hard to tell how long she was in Valinor.
Before sun and moon were created, the days were defined by the illumination
cycle of the two trees, and lasted 12 hours.
But there was no definition of a year.

In addition, it is very likely that she still lives. Why should she die?

Back to the original question:
Elves don't die of old age. They can be slain, or die from grief and despair.
And they may leave middle earth and go into the west, to Valinor.

Werner.

Werner Bär wrote:

> Back to the original question:
> Elves don't die of old age. They can be slain, or die from grief and
> despair. And they may leave middle earth and go into the west, to Valinor.

Also it is possible that elves can reborn (resurrect) in their original
form after dying. I think it is possible that Glorfindel that saved
Frodo was same Glorfindel that was slain by Balrog in the Encircling
Mountains.

Elven spirits never leave Ea even if they bodies can die, they just go
into Halls of Waiting. It is entirely possible that they can return
after resting long enough. At least Luthien (and Beren) did.

Timo Pietilä

"Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb ...

> Elven spirits never leave Ea even if they bodies can die, they just go into Halls of Waiting. It is entirely possible that they
> can return after resting long enough. At least Luthien (and Beren) did.

Bad example.
Beren was human. Man have their own halls or waiting, and their souls
leave Ea after they've spend some time there.
Luthien become mortal, to be able to meet Beren in these halls.
Then Manwe granted them another short time in the world.
After that, they died again, and their souls left.

The example about Glorfindel was better.

Werner.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:25:26 +0200, dfTruF wrote:

>How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
>? 300..900 ?
>How many turns in angband game adds one year for high elf?

Hi dfTruF,

I don't known the question to the first question. For the second
question, the answer is "never". No matter how many turns you play, your
character will never age.

(Note: if you use wizard mode to cheat death, your age WILL change - to
1, and then it will increase each next time you cheat death).

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:25:26 +0200, dfTruF wrote:
>

>>How many middle-earth years usually high elves lives in Tolkien's world
>>? 300..900 ?
>>How many turns in angband game adds one year for high elf?
>

> Hi dfTruF,
>
> I don't known the question to the first question. For the second
> question, the answer is "never". No matter how many turns you play, your
> character will never age.
>
> (Note: if you use wizard mode to cheat death, your age WILL change - to
> 1, and then it will increase each next time you cheat death).
>
> Best, Hugo

Elves were immortal, unless they chose to die.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 18:39:55 -0400, Blake Hyde
<hyth@email.takethisout.unc.edu> wrote:

>Elves were immortal, unless they chose to die.

Or someone/something else chose to kill them -- a far more common
event than an Elf just pining away until departing the body.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

>The example about Glorfindel was better.

But it istalso possible that it is only a coincidence, the only other I
can mention is Gelmir.

Werner Bär wrote:

> "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb ...
>
>> Elven spirits never leave Ea even if they bodies can die, they just go
>> into Halls of Waiting. It is entirely possible that they can return
>> after resting long enough. At least Luthien (and Beren) did.
>
> Bad example.
> Beren was human. Man have their own halls or waiting, and their souls
> leave Ea after they've spend some time there.
> Luthien become mortal, to be able to meet Beren in these halls.
> Then Manwe granted them another short time in the world.
> After that, they died again, and their souls left.
>
> The example about Glorfindel was better.

But point was that it can be done. So it is possible, even that it might
be very rare.

Timo Pietilä