Expansion cards

January 28, 2005 6:58:08 AM

Never thought I'd get to this point, but I was getting close to filling
up my Palm M515 so I purchased a 128MB SD card a few weeks ago to put
my books and databases on.

It's a bit slower pulling the books off the card than it was when they
were on the Palm, but not unexpected. What I can't figure out is:

1. Why can't I see them listed on the Palm when I attempt to see
what's on the card? (Looking under categories and under the Card icon)
Am I looking in the wrong place?

2. Why isn't the card being backed up? When I hot-sync something over
to the card, I get a message that the backup wasn't completed and I
don't see those files listed in the backup folder on the PC.

Unfortunately, the info on expansion cards in the Help file, manual or
on Palm's site is quite skimpy.

TIA

Sherry

More about : expansion cards

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:26:54 AM

Sherry wrote:

> Never thought I'd get to this point, but I was getting close to filling
> up my Palm M515 so I purchased a 128MB SD card a few weeks ago to put
> my books and databases on.
>
> It's a bit slower pulling the books off the card than it was when they
> were on the Palm, but not unexpected.

Yes, it is far slower.

> What I can't figure out is:
>
> 1. Why can't I see them listed on the Palm when I attempt to see
> what's on the card? (Looking under categories and under the Card icon)
> Am I looking in the wrong place?

Either use your book reader or download FileZ from:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

> 2. Why isn't the card being backed up? When I hot-sync something over
> to the card, I get a message that the backup wasn't completed and I
> don't see those files listed in the backup folder on the PC.

Yes, by default it is not being backed up (can you imagine how long it would
take to copy 128MB over USB; from the Palm; every time you HotSync?!?!?).
Someone else can probably tell you how to do this (without products like
Backup Buddy)...

> Unfortunately, the info on expansion cards in the Help file, manual or
> on Palm's site is quite skimpy.

Some things never change.

> TIA
>
> Sherry

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

"Sherry" <sherdh@excite.com> wrote in message
> 2. Why isn't the card being backed up? When I hot-sync something over
> to the card, I get a message that the backup wasn't completed and I
> don't see those files listed in the backup folder on the PC.

To add to Roy's comments, you can back up a card through a few sources: card
reader, some PCs have card slots, some photo printers have card slots, or
the software (freeware) of PC 2 PDA.
January 28, 2005 5:46:01 PM

In article <Xns95EBCB2C23A6TansyRagwortNetscape@130.133.1.4>,
sherdh@excite.com says...

[snip]

> 2. Why isn't the card being backed up? When I hot-sync something over
> to the card, I get a message that the backup wasn't completed and I
> don't see those files listed in the backup folder on the PC.

[snip]

> TIA
>
> Sherry

If you install with the Palm installer or Quick install it should copy
the file to your c:/palm/[username]/backup folder. No need to back it up
after that.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in

> Sherry wrote:

<snip>
>> 1. Why can't I see them listed on the Palm when I attempt to see
>> what's on the card? (Looking under categories and under the Card
>> icon) Am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> Either use your book reader or download FileZ from:
>
> http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

I can see the files listed under the appropriate reader - I have several
files that work with a Bible reader and some files that work with my
genealogy program, but I was hoping for a list all in one place of what's
on the card. I shall give FileZ a try. Thanks Roy!

<snip>
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:50:16 PM

"Disturbing Element" <scurvy@elephant.com> wrote in
<snip>
> To add to Roy's comments, you can back up a card through a few
> sources: card reader, some PCs have card slots, some photo printers
> have card slots, or the software (freeware) of PC 2 PDA.

I do have an HP PhotoSmart printer that has card slots, but not a slot
for SD. Bummer.

What I've been putting on the card so far are "reader" files - not
things I've created but books and files created on my PC that can't be
edited, so I guess backing up isn't that important since I'll already
have copies on the PC. It's just been annoying to wait forever when
hot synching and then getting the message that not everything was
backed up. However, I only get that message when I send a new file
over to the card.

Card readers have gotten dirt cheap so I may pick one up in the future
if I ever really need to backup something I've written to the card on
my Palm.

Thanks all for your quick responses!

Sherry
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:50:17 PM

> "Disturbing Element" <scurvy@elephant.com> wrote in
> <snip>
>> To add to Roy's comments, you can back up a card through a few
>> sources: card reader, some PCs have card slots, some photo printers
>> have card slots, or the software (freeware) of PC 2 PDA.
>

> I do have an HP PhotoSmart printer that has card slots, but not a slot
> for SD. Bummer.

At the risk of sounding insulting, you may want to look again. My 7760 has
its SD card in a bit of a strange location, relative to the other card
slots.

> What I've been putting on the card so far are "reader" files - not
> things I've created but books and files created on my PC that can't be
> edited, so I guess backing up isn't that important since I'll already
> have copies on the PC. It's just been annoying to wait forever when
> hot synching and then getting the message that not everything was
> backed up. However, I only get that message when I send a new file
> over to the card.
>
> Card readers have gotten dirt cheap so I may pick one up in the future
> if I ever really need to backup something I've written to the card on
> my Palm.
>
> Thanks all for your quick responses!
>
> Sherry

What can we say? We like sherry.
January 29, 2005 11:10:03 PM

On 29 Jan 2005 18:50:16 GMT, Sherry wrote:

> I do have an HP PhotoSmart printer that has card slots,
> but not a slot for SD. Bummer.

I assume that the printer accepts CF cards. You should be able to
get an SD to CF adapter. Maybe not at most computer stores, but
good photo stores should have them. I got an xD to CF adapter from
B&H.

> Card readers have gotten dirt cheap so I may pick one up
> in the future if I ever really need to backup something I've
> written to the card on my Palm.

That's a good idea. My SCSI card reader only accepts PCMCIA
cards, but long ago I got a PCMCIA to CF adapter. You should be
able to find multi-card adapters, and they might even be dirt cheap
too! :)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:55:22 AM

> "Sherry" <sherdh@excite.com> wrote in message
<snip>

>> I do have an HP PhotoSmart printer that has card slots, but not a
>> slot for SD. Bummer.
>
> At the risk of sounding insulting, you may want to look again. My
> 7760 has its SD card in a bit of a strange location, relative to the
> other card slots.

No insult taken. I checked my manual and the printer (P1000) takes
compact flash, IBM Microdrive and SmartMedia cards. When I purchased
my digital camera, I had to make sure the camera used one of those
types of cards!

Sherry
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:20:36 PM

Don't bother to buy an adaptor for the HP P100. The cardreader is way
slower than my USB card reader (Kodak)

I wonder if /backup/ files from card is the main purpose for the
cardreader- you obviously had them in the first place and sent them to
card.

I use the cardreader to bring files from my Mac to the card. I alternate
between a Palm sortware "card export" which will make the Palm itself be
the cardreader and a "real Ubs cardreader- I find both useful on
occasion.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:17:57 AM

Sherry <sherdh@excite.com> wrote in

> I do have an HP PhotoSmart printer that has card slots, but not a slot
> for SD. Bummer.

Are you sure? I've never seen a Photosmart printer that didn't take SD
cards. Mine certainly does, and it's one of the earlier models. It's the
same slot that takes the memory stick.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:57:25 AM

On 30-Jan-2005, Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are you sure? I've never seen a Photosmart printer that didn't take SD
> cards. Mine certainly does, and it's one of the earlier models. It's the
> same slot that takes the memory stick.

Sherry, I have to chime in here too... I have an HP7550 printer, with 4
slots, bottom left is for SD cards. It's slow as molasses in January, but
it works.

WyreNut

--
If you had to ~run~ for your life, how long would you live?
Anonymous

"Wyrenut" <me@home.com> wrote in

> On 30-Jan-2005, Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure? I've never seen a Photosmart printer that didn't
>> take SD cards. Mine certainly does, and it's one of the earlier
>> models. It's the same slot that takes the memory stick.
>
> Sherry, I have to chime in here too... I have an HP7550
> printer, with 4 slots, bottom left is for SD cards. It's slow
> as molasses in January, but it works.
>
> WyreNut

Mine doesn't take Memory Stick..... The manual clearly states: "The
printer can read CompactFlash Association (CFA) certified Type I & II,
IBM Microdrive, and SmartMedia memory cards". There are even pictures
of the three types.

I got the printer (P1000) in Dec 2000, so in the electronics world,
it's nearly a dinosaur!

Sherry
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:00:08 AM

> Mine doesn't take Memory Stick..... The manual clearly states: "The
> printer can read CompactFlash Association (CFA) certified Type I & II,
> IBM Microdrive, and SmartMedia memory cards". There are even pictures
> of the three types.

Well, it's time to get a card reader or a new printer. Printers are
disposable these days, with the cost of new cartridges exceeding the
price of a new low-end printer. I recommend a Lexar JumpDrive Trio,
which retails for < $20, and is small enough to use as a card case. It
only works with SD, MMC, and MS, but that's 2 types more than I have any
need for.

--
Regards,

Stan