<avh@softalk.ws> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1114952682.210644.253470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> The results of competition 30 are now on the website at
>
> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> Regards

err... the char you linked with Eddie is the wrong Kelumen. It is my winner,
not his
Whatever, nice win Eddie.

> Tony

On 1 May 2005 as I do recall,
avh@softalk.ws wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> The results of competition 30 are now on the website at
>
> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I was away from the computer yesterday and couldn't post,
please could you add my character in (probably at the bottom!)

File was sent to the fsbusiness address today.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:

>> i) Ancient Dragon Scale Shield (Balance) [10,+40]
>
> When did you find this? I could kill to get this.

It was some random drop from some nobody [not as tough as a Wyrm]. I
probably got it clearing a blue dragon pit, which was trivial because
I had iElec. I continue to think you don't value immunities highly
enough.

I would have been happy to trade this for a lantern of seeing! I
spent the entire game worrying about rBlind. Sometimes I played
without rBlind, and I came near death twice, and decided it was
just too risky even though it let me use a second speed ring.

I think the best kit of common(?) items for the comp char is
westernesse+2
xbow haradrim
ring of speed
ring of speed
trickery
lantern of seeing
elvenkind armor
cloak of magi[ESP]
shield of preservation
crown of might+3
gloves of combat+2
boots of speed

Probably you have to settle for a cloak of aman :) or protection, and
play without ESP. You need one of the high resists from armor/shield
to be chaos. If you get lucky and find balance armor or shield, then
adjust accordingly, but it isn't really necessary.

> I think I need to dive a bit further. I seem to have winning gear
> already, but I need to kill few uniques before M.

Yes, it is probably important to kill uniques. The first time I went
after Sauron I gave up and decided to kill a bunch uniques before the
next attempt. Perhaps I could have killed Sauron much earlier if I
had been willing to use any !*Heal when fighting him. I saved them
all for Morgoth, and only used two. Essentially, I played without
!*Heal and !LIFE except that they used up two slots at home. In
future games I will make a point to use them more.

Eddie

Eddie Grove wrote:

> Well, if you want to see the dump, here it is. I inscribed

> GameTurn 1348723 Armor [21,+118] Saving Throw Heroic

That's impressive. Very fast.

> i) Ancient Dragon Scale Shield (Balance) [10,+40]

When did you find this? I could kill to get this.

I think I need to dive a bit further. I seem to have winning gear
already, but I need to kill few uniques before M.

Too bad I RL has seriously disracted my gaming. I just recently moved to
the house I bought and all kinds of changes involved (including total
blackout of internet access) have been consuming too much of my time.

And now "vacation" is over and I'm back to work...

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä wrote:
> Too bad I RL has seriously disracted my gaming. I just recently moved to
> the house I bought and all kinds of changes involved (including total
> blackout of internet access) have been consuming too much of my time.

Total? How, then, did this usenet post get to my ISP's news swerver? :)

Twisted One wrote:
> Timo Pietilä wrote:
>
>> Too bad I RL has seriously disracted my gaming. I just recently moved
>> to the house I bought and all kinds of changes involved (including
>> total blackout of internet access) have been consuming too much of my
>> time.
>
> Total? How, then, did this usenet post get to my ISP's news swerver? :)

Blackout is over now. And I post from work ;-)

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:

>> I would have been happy to trade this for a lantern of seeing! I
>> spent the entire game worrying about rBlind. Sometimes I played
>> without rBlind, and I came near death twice, and decided it was
>> just too risky even though it let me use a second speed ring.
>> I think the best kit of common(?) items for the comp char is
>> westernesse+2
>> xbow haradrim
>> ring of speed
>> ring of speed
>> trickery
>> lantern of seeing

> Ego name is sight, but it has same characteristics as helmet of seeing.

OK - it would be easier to remember if I had seen one. :)

>> elvenkind armor
>> cloak of magi[ESP]
>> shield of preservation
>> crown of might+3
>> gloves of combat+2
>
> That's total +7 to CON. You need only +5, so Combat gloves can be
> replaced with Power and you gain more STR and don't cause aggravation.

No, you need +7. +2 race, +1 class, leaves +7 to go.

> If you have Trickery +4, BoS +10 and RoS +16 you have +30 permanent

I had BoS +1 and RoS +12. Not quite the same thing. It would have
been really nice if I could have had more than +17 permanent speed,
but I could not without a second speed ring.

> BoC (for Chaos resist. Any BoC can be used, *slay evil* with ESP would
> be perfect. If westernesse then Dwarven armor can be replaced with
> something else)
> Haradrim
> RoS
> Ro<something> (nether or Dam perhaps)
> Trickery (nexus, poison)
> Sight (see_inv, blindness)
> Dwarven +2 (FA)
> magi {ESP} or Aman/Protection if ESP is covered elsewhere.

That is wishful thinking, just like me. :) If you go this route, you
really should expect to be playing without ESP. I think I saw only 2
magi cloaks during my entire game.

> Elvenkind shield (rBase + sound/nether/dark/disen)
> might +3 (sustain major stats, FA)
> gauntlets of Power +5 (for STR and to_dam)

(1) You have to use combat for +2 con
(2) You might be better off with thievery for the to_hit bonus
if you could manage the con elsewhere

> BoS (this really doesn't have any alternatives as long as bonus is
> over +5)

You cannot count on finding such boots. If you only find one pair of
elvenkind boots, you probably only get +3. I didn't even get that
lucky. IMO any speed bonus from boots is just a bonus, not something
you can count on when planning a final kit. Boots of speed are too
rare to count on in a short (e.g. competition) game. I wonder if I
was unlucky, or if lanterns of sight are similarly rare.

Eddie

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>>Eddie Grove wrote:
>
>>>i) Ancient Dragon Scale Shield (Balance) [10,+40]
>>
>>When did you find this? I could kill to get this.
>
> It was some random drop from some nobody [not as tough as a Wyrm]. I
> probably got it clearing a blue dragon pit, which was trivial because
> I had iElec. I continue to think you don't value immunities highly
> enough.

I do value iElec and iCold higher than iAcid and iFire. iElec saves your
rods and wands of tele other which can be life saver, iCold saves your
healing potions which also can be vital. iAcid and iFire (with fireproof
books) are much less valuable.

> I would have been happy to trade this for a lantern of seeing! I
> spent the entire game worrying about rBlind. Sometimes I played
> without rBlind, and I came near death twice, and decided it was
> just too risky even though it let me use a second speed ring.
>
> I think the best kit of common(?) items for the comp char is
> westernesse+2
> xbow haradrim
> ring of speed
> ring of speed
> trickery
> lantern of seeing

Ego name is sight, but it has same characteristics as helmet of seeing.

> elvenkind armor
> cloak of magi[ESP]
> shield of preservation
> crown of might+3
> gloves of combat+2

That's total +7 to CON. You need only +5, so Combat gloves can be
replaced with Power and you gain more STR and don't cause aggravation.

> boots of speed

> Probably you have to settle for a cloak of aman :) or protection, and
> play without ESP. You need one of the high resists from armor/shield
> to be chaos. If you get lucky and find balance armor or shield, then
> adjust accordingly, but it isn't really necessary.

If you have Trickery +4, BoS +10 and RoS +16 you have +30 permanent
speed without second speed ring. Then things get a lot easier about what
to wear. If you can haste whenever you need you don't need +30
permanent, so less speed (around +25) works too which makes second ring
slot easier to be replaced with something else.

This works too:

BoC (for Chaos resist. Any BoC can be used, *slay evil* with ESP would
be perfect. If westernesse then Dwarven armor can be replaced with
something else)
Haradrim
RoS
Ro<something> (nether or Dam perhaps)
Trickery (nexus, poison)
Sight (see_inv, blindness)
Dwarven +2 (FA)
magi {ESP} or Aman/Protection if ESP is covered elsewhere.
Elvenkind shield (rBase + sound/nether/dark/disen)
might +3 (sustain major stats, FA)
gauntlets of Power +5 (for STR and to_dam)
BoS (this really doesn't have any alternatives as long as bonus is over +5)

Timo Pietilä

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What is it with Haradrim xbows? They're restricted to lxbows and to +1
pval, right? So a hxbow of +2 shots would be better, wouldn't it? Do
you just never find those, or is there something else that makes
Haradrim bows better?

CC

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>>>I would have been happy to trade this for a lantern of seeing! I
>>>spent the entire game worrying about rBlind. Sometimes I played
>>>without rBlind, and I came near death twice, and decided it was
>>>just too risky even though it let me use a second speed ring.
>>>I think the best kit of common(?) items for the comp char is
>>>westernesse+2
>>>xbow haradrim
>>>ring of speed
>>>ring of speed
>>>trickery
>>>lantern of seeing
>
>>Ego name is sight, but it has same characteristics as helmet of seeing.
>
> OK - it would be easier to remember if I had seen one. :)
>
>>>elvenkind armor
>>>cloak of magi[ESP]
>>>shield of preservation
>>>crown of might+3
>>>gloves of combat+2
>>
>>That's total +7 to CON. You need only +5, so Combat gloves can be
>>replaced with Power and you gain more STR and don't cause aggravation.
>
> No, you need +7. +2 race, +1 class, leaves +7 to go.

But 18/180 gives you enough HP to survive. +7 is obviously better, but I
just hate aggravation. If I had to use between 18/180 CON and
aggravation I go with less CON. With westernesse +2 you get that +7
without combat gauntlets if you use dwarven armor (westernesse +2,
dwarven +2, might +3)

>>If you have Trickery +4, BoS +10 and RoS +16 you have +30 permanent
>
> I had BoS +1 and RoS +12. Not quite the same thing. It would have
> been really nice if I could have had more than +17 permanent speed,
> but I could not without a second speed ring.
>
>>BoC (for Chaos resist. Any BoC can be used, *slay evil* with ESP would
>>be perfect. If westernesse then Dwarven armor can be replaced with
>>something else)
>>Haradrim
>>RoS
>>Ro<something> (nether or Dam perhaps)
>>Trickery (nexus, poison)
>>Sight (see_inv, blindness)
>>Dwarven +2 (FA)
>>magi {ESP} or Aman/Protection if ESP is covered elsewhere.
>
> That is wishful thinking, just like me. :) If you go this route, you
> really should expect to be playing without ESP. I think I saw only 2
> magi cloaks during my entire game.

I know. I'm using Aman with iElec and have swap Protection for shard resist.

>>Elvenkind shield (rBase + sound/nether/dark/disen)
>>might +3 (sustain major stats, FA)
>>gauntlets of Power +5 (for STR and to_dam)
>
> (1) You have to use combat for +2 con
> (2) You might be better off with thievery for the to_hit bonus
> if you could manage the con elsewhere
>
>>BoS (this really doesn't have any alternatives as long as bonus is
>>over +5)
>
> You cannot count on finding such boots. If you only find one pair of
> elvenkind boots, you probably only get +3. I didn't even get that
> lucky. IMO any speed bonus from boots is just a bonus, not something
> you can count on when planning a final kit. Boots of speed are too
> rare to count on in a short (e.g. competition) game. I wonder if I
> was unlucky, or if lanterns of sight are similarly rare.

You might have been just unlucky or I'm lucky. I have +7 BoS and have
discarted +5 elvenkind and +3 BoS and saw +1 BoS in shop (turncount is
now 3000000+, but those were early). Similary ego lanterns pop up in
general store quite often. sight I found in dungeon.

My kit currently is something like this:

BoC of fire +13 to_dam (plain BoC branded and enchanted over +10 in store)
Haradrim xBow (+19 to_dam)
RoS +13
RoCon +6
AoTrickery +4
Lantern of sight
Dwarven armor +2
Aman cloak {iElec} Protection as swap.
Shield of Preservation {conf}
Crown of magi {ESP}
Gauntlets of Power (+5 to_dam, +5 STR)
BoS +7

Total +24 speed, +8 CON, +7STR, +4DEX, rChaos, rBase, rPoison, rNexus,
rBlindness, rConfusion, rDisenchantment, Sust STR, DEX, CON, INT, FA,
See_inv.

I lack rSound which hurts time to time, but not too much if I'm careful.
Winning gear obviously, I'm just playing too slow.

Timo Pietilä

magnate wrote:
> What is it with Haradrim xbows? They're restricted to lxbows and to +1
> pval, right? So a hxbow of +2 shots would be better, wouldn't it? Do
> you just never find those, or is there something else that makes
> Haradrim bows better?

IIRC +2 pval in extra shot is impossible. So haradrim with +1 or HxBow
of extra shot +1 are equally good in damage, but haradrim is lighter.

Timo Pietilä