P III 733 Problem with ASUS P3C-2000

G

Ladies and gentlemen, I have and ASUS motherboard (P3C-2000) running with an Intel Pentium III 733. The machine seems to randomly restart, it just restarts like it's overheating or something though I am sure its not overheating, does anyone have a similar problem?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is the mobo with the I820 chipset plagued by the MTH problem.

Intel will do 2 things, send you a check for $150.00 to replace that mobo or send you a VC820 RDRAM based mobo with 128mb PC800 memory to go with it. approx 2 week turn around time. ive had replacement VC820 in a week.

Asus will give you choice of any mobo (get CUSL2) excluding dual CPU in exchange for that mobo.

http://support.intel.com/support/mth/

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's so funny, Imagine if amd had to do this, that's why amd products(that are missing features) are still being sold!

Intel is gracious enough to admit and replace their mistakes , why can't amd do the same?

G

hmm the intels solution to this sounds a bit expensive, is it their fault from the beginning? if so I think its unfair of them to charge another $150 for the fix.

What about the ASUS fix? I cant even find it on their page wich is really un userfriendly

:(

G

hmmm oh well I found the ASUS site about this issue... dont know what to do next

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it's the fault of Intel's chipset.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Call Asus, talk to peter he will gladly swap you for another motherboard.

Call Intel they will send you a check for $150 NOT you pay them like someone else misunderstood, or accept the VC820 motherboard.

REPEAT, Intel does not charge you $150.00 they send you $150.00

I posted link to MTH @ Intel.com
Here is one for Asus. www.asus.com
All you gotta do is find the phone numbers of direction you wish to go.
Swap with asus is fastest

G

oh sorry, yes easy to misunderstand, well thats not too bad then, I am UK based to I will try the ASUS COMPUTER GmbH (Europe) in germany (hope they talk english) So do I get a choise what motherboard I want or do they just have a stnadard one thy give out in this case? If they let me chose whats the best motherboard to go for?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
See? This is why I like Intel. If they mess up, they do everything that they can to make their customers happy. They admit the problem. They even take a loss and shrug it off without worries.

If VIA messes up, they claim that the hardware you're using isn't meeting their 'standards'. (At least that was the conversation that my cousin got when he contacted their tech support.) They blame everyone but themselves and if you're lucky the newest drivers MIGHT fix your problem. If you aren't lucky you curse a lot and buy a new motherboard, paying for it yourself.

It's sad that AMD should have to suffer because of VIA, but VIA is the one of two reasons I won't buy an AMD system. I wish AMD would just make their own bloody chipsets and be done with it. I hope Micron can make a cool socketA chipset. I'd love to see that.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the exact same situation myself, a P3C2000 with a PIII 733. The 820 MTH was the issue. I contacted Asus and they sent me a replacement, they sent a P3V4X. I tried to get them to send me a CUSL2, but they said no.

G

I say AMD is to blame, my friend has AMD processor and he says it does not run half of his software.

I dont care who's chip it is the fact is that Intel is good enough to replace it, my friend just got an e-mail from ADM that said that that's not their problem. I say AMD sucks, I will never have one even if they are 10 times cheaper I will still spend the extra to get quality

G

>>I tried to get them to send me a CUSL2, but they said no.<<

LOL.. don't let anyone say you didn't try! I personally think they should have.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***