[O]Disen res feature / bug ; Evasion

DISEN RES:

It seems that Disenchantment resistance does not protect
items from breath disenchantment... Wearing Belthronding
i´ve had several items disenchanted against a few chaos
dragons, including... Belthronding...
Sorry for no dump, it´s in my jobs computer w/ no internet.
I like this change because it kills my need to maintain my items
safe, and would make me be more agressive, but is this a bug
or intentional?

If it is intentional, then i have some suggestions.
1. Make critters with hit to disenchant able to disenchant items too.
2. Make the current % disen resist be the current % the disenchantment
effect would occur (only to make disen resis matter), before the 70%
straight resist disen from artifacts.
3. Obviously, make items with resist disenchantement impossible to
disenchant.

EVASION:

It seems cool and quite balanced now... but there are HUGE
breakpoints. One more pound of equipment and i lose HALF
my evasion power....
Suggestion to fix this: (i didnt check the sources, i have read
the spoilers and played quite a)
Lower minimum evasion chance to around 1/3 instead of 1/2, and
make it like this:

EA = Armor weard weight / max weight (30 lbs at lvl 50)

If EA =< 0.6 then E% = MAX E% else
If EA > 0.6 and =< 1 then E% = number between MAX E% and
1/3 MAX E% else **
If EA > 1 then E% = 0.

** The formula would be like this (min E% = 30%, lowered from 50%)

E%factor = ((0.4 - (EA - 0.6)) * 175 ) + 30
E% = MAX E% / E%factor

So that with less than minimum weight, We get a factor of 100% of
the MAX E %, and otherwise a factor between 30% and 100% of the
maximum possible evasion...
I dunno... maybe even remove the lower weight cap so that
evasion rises from 0% to max evasion factor maybe with a
slighty higher max weight cap....

Sorry for my strange conventions... aeons i dont program.
Or... is the high one breakpoint also an intention?

BTW thanks for your last release, Bahman! :)

--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.

Atriel <atriel666@hotmail.com> writes:

> DISEN RES:
>
> It seems that Disenchantment resistance does not protect
> items from breath disenchantment... Wearing Belthronding
> I like this change because it kills my need to maintain my items
> safe, and would make me be more agressive, but is this a bug
> or intentional?

Sorry, this was a 0.7.0 beta bug that has been fixed in the final
released version. If you have seen it anywhere other than 0.7.0 beta,
let me know!

> EVASION:

> Sorry for my strange conventions... aeons i dont program.
> Or... is the high one breakpoint also an intention?

Breakpoints were an intention, being easier for me to balance than
sliding scales. I also like clear cut boundaries in gameplay - it
makes equipment choices more understandable, and it gives clear
feedback to the player on just how much effect to expect.. Maybe
going from one to two breakpoints would adress your concerns somewhat?

> BTW thanks for your last release, Bahman! :)

I am glad to be able to get stuff out!

--
Bahman Rabii

wrote in news:d561r0$u4f$1@news.vol.cz:

> Atriel <atriel666@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> DISEN RES:
>>
>> It seems that Disenchantment resistance does not protect
>> items from breath disenchantment... Wearing Belthronding
>> I like this change because it kills my need to maintain my items
>> safe, and would make me be more agressive, but is this a bug
>> or intentional?
>
> Sorry, this was a 0.7.0 beta bug that has been fixed in the final
> released version. If you have seen it anywhere other than 0.7.0 beta,
> let me know!

Hi Bahman,

I just upgraded to 0.7.0 non-beta from your website (Oangband070-win.zip),
and encountered one out-of-game problem and one in-game potential bug:

1. When unzipping using Winzip I got a peculiar error I'm not familiar
with, twice:

"Error: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-
mapped section open.
Cannot create c:\games\oangband\lib\xtra\font\6x10.fon"

....and the same message again with "...\8x13.fon"

Not sure if this is an error originating on my end or yours.

2. In the game, despite wielding Thorin and three other acid-resist items,
I just had the following:

The Ancient black dragon bites you.
You are covered in acid!
One of your Scrolls of Teleportation (m) was destroyed!

....is this intentional? I'm guessing not from your comments above.

Keep up the good work on O!

--
Matthew Furrow
mfurrow at mail dot md

Caradhras <caradhras@my-deja.com> writes:

> 1. When unzipping using Winzip I got a peculiar error I'm not familiar
> with, twice:
>
> "Error: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-
> mapped section open.
> Cannot create c:\games\oangband\lib\xtra\font\6x10.fon"
>
> ...and the same message again with "...\8x13.fon"
>
> Not sure if this is an error originating on my end or yours.

Can't reproduce this. What if you download again?

> 2. In the game, despite wielding Thorin and three other acid-resist items,
> I just had the following:

Acid immunity does not protect items. Acid and Disenchantment are
different.

Note that Oangband makes weaker acid attacks unlikely to damage armor
so in general things are actually more generous than in Angband.

> Likewise I am still getting poisoned despite having poison resist of 70%.
> Don't know if this is intentional either.

It takes 80% to completely avoid poisoning. Still, the ongoing poison
effect is reduced by your resistance.

--
Bahman Rabii

Caradhras <caradhras@my-deja.com> wrote in

"Caradhras" <caradhras@my-deja.com> schrieb...

> 1. When unzipping using Winzip I got a peculiar error I'm not familiar
> with, twice:
>
> "Error: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-
> mapped section open.
> Cannot create c:\games\oangband\lib\xtra\font\6x10.fon"

You have played angband before trying to install.
Reboot Windows. Then install again.

OTOH, the font file probably haven't changed, so no need to replace them.

When you use a font file, Windows hold them in memory (assuming a system
file), and you can't replace it by simply copying a new version.

Werner.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bahman Rabii wrote:
> It takes 80% to completely avoid poisoning. Still, the ongoing
poison
> effect is reduced by your resistance.

Is there any place (apart from the source) where this sort of info is
available for all the attack types? I'm mainly concerned with RConf,
RBlind and RSound. Is it the case that a single permanent resistance
will completely remove the side effects in these cases?

I'm finding this new system fun. It certainly widens the possible gear
options - finding a Resistance item doesn't necessarily mean chucking
the "RAcid any more. And I think this will be even more so in the
later game (if I ever get there).

Nick.

In general, any resistance greater than zero will block all side
effects. Poison is an exception; ever since the primary damage came
down and the ongoing damage went up, the ongoing damage is not really
a "side effect".

- Bahman

--
Bahman Rabii