Sign in with
Your question

Issues with resolutions on laptop-to-HDTV

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 14, 2012 12:09:18 PM

Hope this is the right section!

So I started playing around the other day and stuck a larger screen on y desk. It's an Insignia flatscreen, pretty new, bought only a year or two ago max. I hooked my Lenovo Y570 up to it to see how it would look as a monitor (sort of weird, since I can't find my old USB-power keyboard, but at least I can type without lifting my fingers too high :p  ). The Lenovo has Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics and an Nvidia GT555M card. On the laptop, I run 1366x768 at 60hz perfectly.

I've hooked the screen up to the computer using HDMI. My hope was to get a larger resolution to make my desktop much bigger (only showing on the TV, not extended screen). The maximum resolution listed is 1920x1080. Trying that, however, causes one of two things: At 59 and 60 hz, the screen is fuzzy -- not too fuzzy to use at all, but it's like looking at a low quality CRT monitor. At 30 and 29 hz, interlaced, the screen looks like it's trying too hard to be sharp, and thus is less useable than 59 or 60 hz.
So far, the only resolution that really works perfectly is 1360x768 at 60hz. Then it looks better than ever, but just looks like a magnified version of my laptop :p  Not that this is bad, but I was hoping for more space to do the things I normally do.

So what do you guys think? Is there something I can do to run 1920x1080 with more clarity? I've tried other resolutions just below that, but they run into the same problems listed above. I looked up the maximum resolutions for both the processor and the card, and from what I've found they can both support resolutions greater than 1920x1080. I also know the TV will support it, as I run 1080i on my PS3 and can run 1080p (1080i just looks better to me).

Thanks!
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2012 10:33:38 PM

What is the native resolution of the TV? Many inexpensive TVs are 768 resolution, and when you feed then a 1080 signal they re-sample it down to 768. That might look OK with a game, but it will look poor with a computer desktop.
m
l
June 15, 2012 12:09:09 AM

I'm not sure, honestly. When I have it hooked up to the computer, it gives me that little "Optimal Resolution" pop up that says 1280x720, but that resolution doesn't look nearly as good as the 1360x768. How would I find the TV's native res? I'll look it up and get back to you. I didn't buy the TV, so I'm not sure where the documentation is at the moment, though I could get it I'm sure.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2012 7:05:43 PM

perhaps the software on your laptop is preventing a 1080p signal from being output. this would be because your computer screen on the laptop is not 1080p capable.

just a thought.
m
l
!